herping in Darwin?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbomma

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in Darwin for a few weeks working. Just wanna know some good spots nearby to see wild reptiles. Don't have a lot of free time so I don't want to wonder around aimlessly.
Cheers.

Drive to litchfield national park and Kakadu.
Slow drives at night should produce elapids, geckos, legless lizards, colubrids, the odd sleeping dragon, frogs and a few other things.
Walking throughout the day should get you the dinural dragons, elapids, colubrids and maybe some monitors

Drive to litchfield national park and Kakadu.
Slow drives at night should produce elapids, geckos, legless lizards, colubrids, the odd sleeping dragon, frogs and a few other things.
Walking throughout the day should get you the dinural dragons, elapids, colubrids and maybe some monitors

Cheers, I'll try that :D

If i only had 1 night in Darwin Id head to Fogg dam. If you head out in the late afternoon you can check out the amazing bird life, chill out and wait for sunset. After dark this time of year you should be assured of seeing some water pythons on the dam wall.

The biggest hazard is the mosquitoes but there are plenty of salties nearby.

I'm jealous. Enjoy your time in the top end.

Last edited:
If you only have limited time I would try the commercial parks first up. I did a few weeks up there with work.... it's never enough time, beautiful place and spoilt by work lol. I held a baby croc at crocasaurus park in the city even that place was pretty good. If you like your fishing make sure you book a charter to ;)

If i only had 1 night in Darwin Id head to Fogg dam. If you head out in the late afternoon you can check out the amazing bird life, chill out and wait for sunset. After dark this time of year you should be assured of seeing some water pythons on the dam wall.

The biggest hazard is the mosquitoes but there are plenty of salties nearby.

I'm jealous. Enjoy your time in the top end.

I was out there yesterday, after looking at a few threads on here. You can't get to the dam at the moment, closed due to a big salty in the area. Saw a few traps set up to catch it. Plenty of birds, didn't see any reptiles :(

If you only have limited time I would try the commercial parks first up. I did a few weeks up there with work.... it's never enough time, beautiful place and spoilt by work lol. I held a baby croc at crocasaurus park in the city even that place was pretty good. If you like your fishing make sure you book a charter to ;)

I've seen plenty of commercial parks though, I want to see them in there natural habitat. Imagine walking along and spotting a boiga in a tree, croc on a bank or panoptes standing up checking you out. It'd be a thrill.
I would love to get some fishing in but the charters up here are so expensive.
Thanks for the input :D

Last edited:
No worries whatsoever, I completely understand the lack of lust for commercial venues. Just to add to the discussion, one of the best 'wild' experiences I've had was on the Daintree, still with a guide though. small group, seen some things I definitely wouldn't have spotted by myself.

I'm sure either way you will have an awesome time mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back