New enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animal805

Reaction score
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
Hi all, I just bought a new URS Giant Tall terarium for one of my pythons and was just wondering if there was a trick to getting the "pre punched" mesh out without damaging anything else so I can screw a porcilain light fitting in. I just spent $560 and dont want to stuff things up. Please excuse my dumbness

Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
using a chisel and a hammer along the pre punched ring might work, and then wire cuts to smooth it out

Don't use a hammer and chisel unless you want to distort the hole, push the detached segment open then bend back and forth with pliers until it breaks free

how big are the holes , a jigsaw with a metal blade would work , im at mullaway and have one and a heap of blades if you cant work anything out more than happy to help

The holes are just big enough to undo and screw a porcelin fitting into, so like only 2 inch diameter. Thank you for the very kind offer if I cant sort it out myself I will PM you and possibly take you up on your offer.
Cheers thomasssss

Thanks for the suggestions people, once I got it started, which was a major pain in the butt, I managed to sort it out without too much damage. Thanks again for your offer thomasssss They dont make it easy thats for sure.

Last edited:
i found that a small flat head screwdriver, and small taps with a hammer around where the perforations are meant to break, did the trick for me, then i used two ceramic Edison sockets which flattened it all back out. hope this helps.

oh yea, do it all on a solid surface that can get damaged...... like a bit of flat wood.

i found that a small flat head screwdriver, and small taps with a hammer around where the perforations are meant to break, did the trick for me, then i used two ceramic Edison sockets which flattened it all back out. hope this helps.

oh yea, do it all on a solid surface that can get damaged...... like a bit of flat wood.

Post a picture of what you did.
I have a concern that you have the ceramic lamp holders on the mesh. In which case it needs to be insulated or earthed.

no worries what did you end up doing ?

Persistant light tapping with a small screw driver to get it started followed by much swearing and cursing and a few bloody fingers worked it too and fro until she gave up and popped out.

This is what I wanted to do and ended up perfect. Is this not what it was designed for. I thought these pre punched holes where for this purpose

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Persistant light tapping with a small screw driver to get it started followed by much swearing and cursing and a few bloody fingers worked it too and fro until she gave up and popped out.

This is what I wanted to do and ended up perfect. Is this not what it was designed for. I thought these pre punched holes where for this purpose
I am pretty sure it is how it is meant to be but Australian wiring rules would have you earth the metal surround for safety. If the ceramic cracks you may liven up the metal part and potentially someone could receive and electric shock.

Looks like with that fitting the ceramic is insulating the mesh. If that's the case then no need to earth. That's why I wanted to see a pic. It all depends on the type of fitting and how it is installed. Looks good.

glad it worked out , snowman , if its the same as the ceramic socket ive got it should have 2 rubber / material washers either side of where it screws together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back