Venomous Aussie snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_python_lloyd

Reaction score
Hey all,

My partner is studying to be a vet, has a degree in Animal Science and has done venomous snake handling courses. I am just a lowly python herder. . We have discussed building an aussie animal display which will include, among other things, venemous snakes. Does anyone have any experience in keeping venemous snakes? if we go ahead, we will be looking at (eventually) getting an inland taipan.

Firstly you need to work out wether you'll be housing them inside or outside. I'm not sure about the NSW NPWS legals on outdoor ven keeping. Indoors they must be kept in a lockable escape proof room. so you cant have them in the lounge room on display.

Second thing you need to look at is the licencing requirements. Taipans are venomous catagory 3 or R5 licence. So you must hold R1 R2 R3 & R4 first.

Lastly when building you display, factor in that elapids have a high motabolism, which means they crap alot..daily! So it will need to be easy to clean.

Hope this info helps.

I hold an R3 & keep redbellied blacks.

Firstly, to set up any display in NSW you will need a exhibitors licence for any type of animal. As for venomous species, you can apply to display them but they look at your past experience in working with these animals.

What kind of display?

If you are asking on a forum "does anyone have any experience with them" then I would be looking to find a mentor that would be willing to let you help with their animals so you will actually know how to care for them. Owning them isn't something to jump into lightly.

I would also, imo, hold off on the "real deadly" ones until you have at least a couple of years experience with easier/"less deadly" ones to keep.

NO OFFENSE. But if your asking about keeping,handling and showing vens, your definately not ready for any type of high maintenance elapid. Have you been close to an Inland tai, let alone, fed a hatchie?

I would also, imo, hold off on the "real deadly" ones until you have at least a couple of years experience with easier/"less deadly" ones to keep.

Don't the less venomous species tend to be much more difficult to keep?

I do appreciate the sentiment in your comment, notechis... I'm just curious. I can only think of the Brown Tree Snake as a relatively straightforward species to keep, that is at the same time considerably less dangerous to humans.

I certainly don't think an inland taipan is one to consider unless you have a huge amount of experience and know exactly what you're doing. Although I do think they're one of our most beautiful snakes.

I was referring more to red bellies, which are said to be the best "starter elapid". "Less deadly" is so misleading. Of course other elapids that are easier to keep are still dangerous, but I think there's a lot of them that are less dangerous than a taipan.

NO OFFENSE. But if your asking about keeping,handling and showing vens, your definately not ready for any type of high maintenance elapid. Have you been close to an Inland tai, let alone, fed a hatchie?

Mate everyone has to start somewhere...?? How else will he get the knowledge. "You haven't done it before so you shouldn't do it" ... wut?

Mate everyone has to start somewhere...?? How else will he get the knowledge. "You haven't done it before so you shouldn't do it" ... wut?

Given that he has proven experience with elapids, I think he is qualified to hold such an opinion.

I don't have any experience with them, but I don't think any is needed to know that an inland taipan probably isn't the greatest "starter" elapid to keep.

Waiting to find out more info from the OP?

On the standard NSW licencing system it takes 5yrs to obtain the correct category ven licence to keep a taipan. That is from first obtaining your R1 licence & if you jump through the correct hoops!

Proberbly enough said as Mr James has covered it well.
Like pythons, elapids can be placid or cranky no matter what they are, so I guess you would want the best chance for medical treatment if you were unfortunate enough to cop a tag from one of your animals and that is why tiapans are one of the last that can be kept on any permit system. Some people get tagged and get out of keeping elapids, which is a shame really. Should be more of a learning curve than a reason to quit.
We need more vets that are confident with vens. Hope all goes well.

I dont know the license setup outside vic, but we can keep inlands from the get go. Working up through the cats to your more ven. stuff seems like a good idea. Gives people a chance to learn..... and start somewhere;D

If you want to learn how to handle vens dropme a pm and we can work through the non lethals like Rbb then go onto the lethals including tigers coastal tai inland tais then we will try the two browns ive got which in my book are ten times worse than the tais they get such a bad wrap. The tais I have like others I've handled in captivity and wild are never overly aggressive and always give plenty of warning before striking. I should have hatchies available this time next year.i live not far from you if you want to do a handling evening. Ta james

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back