Problem with BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stiffler

Banned
Reaction score
My friend has noticed one of his BHP's is acting very weirdly. It has been holding its head up and corkscrewing its head and its balance seems to be off. It is in a collection that hasnt had any new snakes come in for over two years and this snake has been with him for 4 years since a hatchling. He also doesnt handle other peoples snakes or reptiles. I cant see it been IBD as he has no Jags or suspected import stuff. All his stuff is locale specifc carpets and BHP's. He has never had a mite issue and doesnt seem to be able to see any around. All other snakes are fine. The snake was okay about 4 days ago when he put it in with a male. The only thing he can think of is some sort of injury from the male?
Does anyone else know what it could be?
It hasnt had a feed in months due to cooling either.

Did it get taken out of its enclosure and put in males enclosure or male put in its enclosure. Sounds to me to be an allergic reaction and swelling inside sinus cavity causing Inbalance. Return it back to its own cage if it is not already there until it can be taken to vet for anti inflammatory drugs.

He has seperated them now but im not sure which one went into which enclosure. Thx for your advice.

The behavior you're describing is what happens when an animal has gotten overheated or stressed in any way.
I don't know all the info but, are you sure that the 2 animals are a pair?
I've seen males start acting that way when they couldn't get away from the dominate male. Also, I have seen 2 females and 2 males breed as if they were a pair so, unfortunately....if you've seen them bred...they may not be an actual pair...unless of course they've produced before.
Good luck.

D

Interesting. They havent bred yet but did show some tail action when put together. The male was coiled up on top of the "female" who was coiled up underneath him. He pulls her out and she has lost her balance, corkscrewing her head and stargazing. He has put her alone in another cage and has put her heat up.
How long does it take for them to recover if it is as you have said it could be?
Thx
The behavior you're describing is what happens when an animal has gotten overheated or stressed in any way.
I don't know all the info but, are you sure that the 2 animals are a pair?
I've seen males start acting that way when they couldn't get away from the dominate male. Also, I have seen 2 females and 2 males breed as if they were a pair so, unfortunately....if you've seen them bred...they may not be an actual pair...unless of course they've produced before.
Good luck.

D

I had one that did the exact same thing at 2years, only difference with mine is that mine started to bite itself. I wonder if BHP'S could have a neuro issue somewhere in the gene pool?

Dan

Interesting stuff.. so there's some neuro-like affected pure bred snakes out there? who who have thought?
sounds a bit similar to the symptoms of DPS that pure diamonds and some pure mcdowelli show with DPS.
Seems you can't trust anything these days pure or not..

Totally agree Derek. Also, has it shown signs of this characteristic previously? It could be early signs of RI or head cold - especially in these cooler months.

I have a jungle that was over heated one day while my friend was at work (he asked his mum to go over and turn the lights off and she didn't) and now has the head wobble/star gazing/cork screw thing but only when picked up or handled (stressed), she still eats perfectly and moves perfectly but when stressed from being touched at all she throws her head all around the place so she just doesn't get handled at all. She was born perfect he had owned her from a hatchling, no jag lines from what we both know, it was just that one day of being over heated.

I have a jungle that was over heated one day while my friend was at work (he asked his mum to go over and turn the lights off and she didn't) and now has the head wobble/star gazing/cork screw thing but only when picked up or handled (stressed), she still eats perfectly and moves perfectly but when stressed from being touched at all she throws her head all around the place so she just doesn't get handled at all. She was born perfect he had owned her from a hatchling, no jag lines from what we both know, it was just that one day of being over heated.

Not having a go, but this is why thermostats are handy......

^^^^^Until they fail^^^^^
i don't use thermostats on any of my snakes, never have and never will. If you use a lower wattage bulb and a bit of trial and error before placing the animal into the enclosure they (in my opinion) aren't required.
I use 50-75 watt bulbs depending on the size of the enclosure for my animals and have never had an issue maintaining a 30-32 degree basking spot.

I had a pair behave in a similar way when my heating failed over winter causing severe respiratory infections. Heads raised, heads bobbing/ twitching and lack of coordination.

Check the animals nostrils/ mouth for any kind of discharge and listen for wheezing or any explosive exhalations. BHP's seem to prone to RI over winter if adequate basking temps arent maintained during the day. Check the basking temps and any timers to make sure theyre getting the temps they need. If it is RI crank the temps back up and get a vet to order in some Fortum to treat it (far more effective and less destructive than Baytril).

Might not be a RI but it's worth checking sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back