Wooooooooohooooooooo Ven Course!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelhorn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
[h=6]Little bit ****ing excited (excuse the french)
Work has tentatively booked me in for a venomous snake handling course in 2 weeks.
Keeping my fingers crossed nothing prevents it :D Woooooooo
Work in WA here I come ;) I require the course for a job oppotunity that involves catching and release along a 600km proposed trench. I can't contain my excitment!
The reason I have not organised one myself is there was technically no need, as I don't keep vens and wouldn't want one until I own my own house! Plus my money is going into other funds and house deposit right now :)

[/h]

Last edited:
Remember clearing wildlife from a pipeline trench means you are working in very remote locations... a loooong way from help. A course won't make you an expert overnight, it will just highlight some of the things and practices you need to take into account. Your pressure bandages won't do you any good back in the glove box of the troopy or on the quadbike, keep them in your pocket or backpack all the time.

Lucky you....good luck!

Remember clearing wildlife from a pipeline trench means you are working in very remote locations... a loooong way from help. A course won't make you an expert overnight, it will just highlight some of the things and practices you need to take into account. Your pressure bandages won't do you any good back in the glove box of the troopy or on the quadbike, keep them in your pocket or backpack all the time.

Lucky you....good luck!

Hahaha Yeah I realise that mate, We are actually trapping and releasing for survey purposes and the traps are all built so no handling of the actual animal is required.
I am more stoaked that they are paying for the course. I have wanted to do it for a while. But you are right...where I will most probably be sent there isn't a payphone 100m down the track I can use to call 000!

Congrats mate. Wish I could have done my course as work related training. Took me two years to get into one. Just not that common around my neck of woods. And you generally have to get in on the back of companies who pay for a group booking and your just helping fill in numbers. When i did finally get in, another provider rang me on the way saying they had a cancellation and did I want to fill the spot lol.
As for first aid, a bum bag with all essentials is a good thing to have. If it is a good course they will naturally cover that stuff anyway. Senior First Aid ticket is really also a must.
As for the phone, they have mobiles now ;)
You can also obtain reference numbers so emergency services know where you are on the map in remote areas.
Proberbly stuff you already know but might be helpful to other readers.
Congrats.

Congrats mate. Wish I could have done my course as work related training. Took me two years to get into one. Just not that common around my neck of woods. And you generally have to get in on the back of companies who pay for a group booking and your just helping fill in numbers. When i did finally get in, another provider rang me on the way saying they had a cancellation and did I want to fill the spot lol.
As for first aid, a bum bag with all essentials is a good thing to have. If it is a good course they will naturally cover that stuff anyway. Senior First Aid ticket is really also a must.
As for the phone, they have mobiles now ;)
You can also obtain reference numbers so emergency services know where you are on the map in remote areas.
Proberbly stuff you already know but might be helpful to other readers.
Congrats.

Cheers mate :)
yeah there are a few more around this neck of the woods but it was always an organisation and $$$ thing and actual need that prevented me from bothering to do the course. Least this way I should be able to buy some good new equipment :p on the job which will be all mine, and if not will buy it anyways and claim it on tax!

Yeah these jobs are strick as hell. Sorta job you can't even fart in without them knowing.
Its a bit different when you are 250k along the trench line and you come acrossed a pissed off ven in comparison to a course in a controlled area. Either way should be amazing experience!
I am extremely looking forward to the course and more so the experience of getting into some really remote areas.
We are also attempting to catch rare species of quails...so never know, might get the two in a trap which will be interesting..
Can't wait !

Not sure where you'll be working but very unlikely they'll have mobile access (even with telstra) and sat phones can still be hit and miss.

Yeah there is no mobile phone service...more long range 2 ways with stations set up along the way. That about as good as it gets with clear weather!

Hey Skelhorn. Just curious, do you have to have a WA address and licence to work over there? I do similar sort of work and i have applied over there but they wouldnt give me full time employment as i live in Brissy. The only way i could get around it would be doing contract work, but i like to have a stable full time job. The contract work is fairly sporatic.

Remember clearing wildlife from a pipeline TRENCH means you are working in very remote locations... a loooong way from help. A course won't make you an expert overnight, it will just highlight some of the things and practices you need to take into account. Your pressure bandages won't do you any good back in the glove box of the troopy or on the quadbike, keep them in your pocket or backpack all the time.

Lucky you....good luck!

[h=6]Little bit ****ing excited (excuse the french)
Work has tentatively booked me in for a venomous snake handling course in 2 weeks.
Keeping my fingers crossed nothing prevents it :D Woooooooo
Work in WA here I come ;) I require the course for a job oppotunity that involves catching and release along a 600km proposed TRENCH. I can't contain my excitment!
The reason I have not organised one myself is there was technically no need, as I don't keep vens and wouldn't want one until I own my own house! Plus my money is going into other funds and house deposit right now :)

[/h]

Whats all this talk about me???
:D

Hey Skelhorn. Just curious, do you have to have a WA address and licence to work over there? I do similar sort of work and i have applied over there but they wouldnt give me full time employment as i live in Brissy. The only way i could get around it would be doing contract work, but i like to have a stable full time job. The contract work is fairly sporatic.

Yeah I have been waiting a year to get onto work in WA. Its taken alot of persisting and countless upon countless rejections. I work for a Consulting Firm so that is how we are able to obtain the work. Its one of those things, but if your with the right company you are able to travel. Contracting is pretty much the same thing, as for FIFO with companies they usually still want someone more local then QLD as the flight costs destroy the companies!

P.s.... I love your DP hahaha!

Whats all this talk about me???
:D

Hahahah! Mr popular!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back