Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Yep - 100% sure its a crappy photo, but can you ID the snake within?
This is what you get if you are a relocator, you get to sent photos of this quality or less.
I have already told the person what I think it is but like people to confirm, please.
From Buderim, Sunshine coast taken a couple of hours ago

Please state reasons for your ID. Idiotic guesses just make you look bad.

BTW - It isn't a keelback!

Attachments

• 2012-07-31 12.34.07.jpg
    2012-07-31 12.34.07.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 2012-07-31 12.33.53.jpg
    2012-07-31 12.33.53.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 250
lol ill have a crack but its an idiotic guess
but i say common tree snake cuz its skinny and brown lol looks like it has different head colour

Last edited:
Demansia psammophis, long thin olive brown colour body, lighter path appears to be present on head possibly consistent with tear shape behind eye.

At first I thought it was a Burton's then I realised my mind was playing tricks on me and a stick was becoming part of the animal. :p (creating a stripe along it)

It's hard to make out, but looking at the face shape and eye to head ratio I'm going to say Taipan. Probably wrong tho lol

I will have a crack at Yellow-faced whip snake, my reasoning is the dark eye with light in front and behind (looks vaguely like the comma shaped eye patch of a yf whippy) slender looking snake, also widespread and fairly common.
my thoughts

You beat me too it GeckPhotographer!

Last edited:
I'm going with Demansia psammophis (Yellow-Faced Whip Snake) aswell, The body shape and dark markings around the eyes are my only clue but its a tentative guess at best.

Yellow faced Whip. Build, size and colour fit well. As Geck... said, there seems to be a lighter patch on the face which would represent the comma shaped mark. Also body is not uniformly coloured as it is a bit more grey on the forebody which is common in YFWS as well. Tail end seems to have been chewed up by a dog/cat. 98% confident of the ID from this image

Thanks Guys - I have already told here I'm 90% certain that it is a YFWS but because I'm not 100% she should use caution. I also rate Taipan and/or a light headed EBS as outside chances.
BTW - she initially Ided it as a
Blue-Bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis guttatus) but after looking at my ID site, agrees with me

Last edited:
Yellow Faced Whip Snake, as other people have said, colour , body shape, head shape. I would be pretty confident it was a YFWS.

yes fuscus i get sent these pictures too,and to give 100% id is hard from some angles,but at first glance id say Yellow Faced Whip,it looks to be correct size and body proportions. It looks like it has the tear drop and also thats the sort of place you see this species around logs and garden rockeries

I am not sure from that pic, I have my suspects but without a better image I would not make a call. You must be better at Identification than me

Cheers
scott

typical Iphone photo, or any crappy phone camera at that.
would not even attempt a guess at a photo of that quality,
the concequences for getting it wrong.......... would not be worth it.
I went out to a job to retrieve a brown tree snake from up inside the roof last week,
Iphone photo was id by a local snake catcher that wouldnt remove it because it was only a brown tree snake.
I got the next call from the owner, and went out and removed the brown tree snake, which most of us more commonly known as a Pseudonaja textilis out of there roof cavity....
very unusual, (but they have a mice problem in their roof) It could have been fatal fo the owner if they had listened to the first catchers photo Id.
Graeme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back