Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckoboy

Reaction score
hi all just wondering is snakes really need UV? just because some big breeders that i have seen have kept in racking but there's no bulbs in there just a heating cord. but then as you see more of their collection they have the same species that are in bigger tanks with bulbs?.

I did a lot of reading before getting my Spotted and as far as I understand, all they need is a day and night cycle? Like they don't necessarily need UV to survive like other reptiles, they just need to know when it's day and when it's night so I just open my curtain and let the natural light into my room. If I'm wrong please correct me.

They dont really need UV lighting.much better if u can give them some natural sunlight.

Diamond pythons would be the exception i would guess?

Diamond pythons would be the exception i would guess?

there is no proof that diamonds do need UV. Some breeders have kept for years without UV with no issues. DPS seems to be more related to overfeeding and incorrect temps from the research ive read

do you guys think that children would need UV? [as in the python].

Despite what others have said it has actually been proven that they DO need UVB and 13 hours of it if produced by a exo terra/ URS whatever brand you have light which pretty much most people use. 13 hours of light produced by a bulb is equal to half an hour outside in the sun. So basically more time you can give them in the sun the better it is for them. If you do not use UV on reptiles you will not see any visible signs of illness but it WILL affect them in the long run. If anyone disagrees with this i can provide plenty of references with proper qualifications and breeders. Some of these include Gatton University QLD, Marlin Coast Veterinary clinic and persons whos name escapes me but i have him as a contact on here (he had a lacie with very bad MBD and i do believe that part of the cause was from NO UV).

Reptiles NEED UVB in order to live a full healthy life, just because illness is not visible does not mean it is not there- reptiles are masters at hiding illness.

Hope this helps.

Despite what others have said it has actually been proven that they DO need UVB and 13 hours of it if produced by a exo terra/ URS whatever brand you have light which pretty much most people use. 13 hours of light produced by a bulb is equal to half an hour outside in the sun. So basically more time you can give them in the sun the better it is for them. If you do not use UV on reptiles you will not see any visible signs of illness but it WILL affect them in the long run. If anyone disagrees with this i can provide plenty of references with proper qualifications and breeders. Some of these include Gatton University QLD, Marlin Coast Veterinary clinic and persons whos name escapes me but i have him as a contact on here (he had a lacie with very bad MBD and i do believe that part of the cause was from NO UV).

Reptiles NEED UVB in order to live a full healthy life, just because illness is not visible does not mean it is not there- reptiles are masters at hiding illness.

Hope this helps.
not being rude but if it has been proven can i get a link to the study and i mean one that says snakes need uvb not reptiles in general

also i to at first thought that diamonds needed uv but was told by someone on here that they knew someone who had kept their diamond with uv and changed the bulbs regularly plus gave it access to real uv and it still developed dps

Has anyone seen that bright yellow thing in the sky? I think we call it the sun.

Has anyone thought about taking their snakes out for a walk outside, so that the bright yellow thing we call the sun can be utilised in its natural form?

For the likes of spotted pythons, that's more than enough sunshine!

In humans (and many other animals) UV from the sun helps prevent depression (just ask a Swede how they feel during winter). In snakes, I have heard, with no evidence, that snakes appear less depressed.... Personally, I could see mine smiling in the sunshine all the time!

Hope this helps.

What absolute crap, lets see this proof. Anecdotal reports and a website that sells the UV globes that sponsors flimsy research to sell there unnecessary product doesn't count.

Snakes don't need UV like other reptiles need, the get most, if not everything from their food.
though it is best to have UV, helps a lot with health problems.
and just because they don't NEED them, doesn't mean they should not have them.

No i dont have a link but if you would like PM me and i will give you the phone numbers to those places or like most of do any quick google search always is 100% correct isnt? <rolls eyes> Snakes are no different to any other reptile/animal and i can see that no matter what is said some of you will continue on believing a lie that they dont need UV. This is one of the big reasons that that i rarely comment on these threads because its mostly newbies giving other newbies advice and that is fine but before you give someone advice you need to KNOW it is 100% correct and true! Also another reason i myself and alot of others i know rarely buy reptiles from the forums and people we dont know. ALL my animals are exposed to UV and if i do come to buy an animal that hasn't been exposed there is a BIG difference! There is difference in the colour, feeding response (not in all cases though), lack of energy, tired all the time (in dragons and skinks) i could write a big list!

Here is a link i got off a breeders facebook page and judging by the comments its why reptiles NEED UVB. If you like to continue this argument i suggest you ring up all of those places or even just ONE and see what the experts have to say about it then you can pm me with an apology!

Over and OUT!

The link: UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test

Last edited:
No i dont have a link but if you would like PM me and i will give you the phone numbers to those places or like most of do any quick google search always is 100% correct isnt? <rolls eyes> Snakes are no different to any other reptile/animal and i can see that no matter what is said some of you will continue on believing a lie that they dont need UV. This is one of the big reasons that that i rarely comment on these threads because its mostly newbies giving other newbies advice and that is fine but before you give someone advice you need to KNOW it is 100% correct and true! Also another reason i myself and alot of others i know rarely buy reptiles from the forums and people we dont know. ALL my animals are exposed to UV and if i do come to buy an animal that hasn't been exposed there is a BIG difference! There is difference in the colour, feeding response (not in all cases though), lack of energy, tired all the time (in dragons and skinks) i could write a big list!

Here is a link i got off a breeders facebook page and judging by the comments its why reptiles NEED UVB. If you like to continue this argument i suggest you ring up all of those places or even just ONE and see what the experts have to say about it then you can pm me with an apology!

Over and OUT!

The link: UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test
Agreed :)

Snakes are not the same as dragons and skinks. Thousands of snakes around the world are kept without UV without any issues, and will continue to be kept so without some unknown person on a forum spouting about it without any real evidence. Might I add that the information on the website you linked involves lizards 99% of the time, and the few mentions of snakes it had went with "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Few snakes are thought to require ultraviolet lighting, at present, since vitamin D3 from the diet is almost certainly adequate for most species."

Whilst snakes almost certainly benefit from it (as with any animal), there is nothing at all to suggest they require it.
[/FONT]

What about nocturnal reptiles? Do they get up during the day for a couple of hours to get some uv?

Snakes are not the same as dragons and skinks. Thousands of snakes around the world are kept without UV without any issues, and will continue to be kept so without some unknown person on a forum spouting about it without any real evidence. Might I add that the information on the website you linked involves lizards 99% of the time, and the few mentions of snakes it had went with "Few snakes are thought to require ultraviolet lighting, at present, since vitamin D3 from the diet is almost certainly adequate for most species."

Whilst snakes almost certainly benefit from it (as with any animal), there is nothing at all to suggest they require it.

That would make sense as the person who had originally posted the link is a lizard/dragon breeder and keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back