Ambient Enclosure Temps?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djando98

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 7 month old diamond python, and i am curious about what sort of ambient temp i should have in the enclosure??

I have read lots of threads about substrate temp - however - i don't really see the ambient temperature mentioned at all??

My Current setup is a ExoTerra PT2610 24"x18"x18" Enclosure, a 50w heat cord, 150w Ceramic Heat Emitter.
Both Heat sources have independent thermostats.

Currently i have the heat mat set to 30 degrees and the heat emitter set to 33.
The cool end currently sits around 21-24 degrees (depending on the room temp).

The question i have is that yes, i am supplying heat underneath via the heat mat - however if i turn off the heat emitter at night the ambient temp in the enclosure can drop alot! - our nights here are around 0-2 degrees.

this leaves the cool end being VERY cold..

My girl will then be found in her hide right on top of the heat mat. (obviously cold)

however - if i leave the heat emitter on throughout the night - it is typical i will get up during the night to find her out and about. having a bit of a bask and being quite active.

should i allow the temp to drop overnight?? should i keep basking for morning hours??

Previously i have had a few issues with feeding (she went off food for around 3 and a half weeks.) and even now she can be reluctant to feed - and with feeding issues being nearly always a direct issue with temps, i wanna make sure everything is ok..

so what ambient temps should i try and maintain?? or is it okay to only heat the substrate overnight??

any info would be tops!!

(I have included a pic of her enclosure and one of her of course!! Unfortunately taken on a crappy iPhone camera!)

Thanks in advance guys

Daniel

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 90
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 91
Beware of over heating your diamond it is now thought by many keepers to be the major cause of DPS. On the SXR website Doc Rock has an article road testing pythons and details how he keeps his. He has kept and bred diamonds for years with no ill effects.
From memory he provides a low ambient temp combined with a basking lamp on for a couple of hours a day.
Many people in NSW keep them outside all year round I believe.

G'day mate I think you should lose the heat mat altogether and have the heat emitter set to 28 degrees. Over heating diamonds can be very bad for them and IMO 33 degrees can be overheating. Diamonds really need it cool if not cold at there cool ends.
Diamonds aren't like other Morelia with there metabolism because they're a cold climate snake and won't need to eat as much. Hope this helps and it's just my opinion.

G'day mate I think you should lose the heat mat altogether and have the heat emitter set to 28 degrees. Over heating diamonds can be very bad for them and IMO 33 degrees can be overheating. Diamonds really need it cool if not cold at there cool ends.
Diamonds aren't like other Morelia with there metabolism because they're a cold climate snake and won't need to eat as much. Hope this helps and it's just my opinion.

100% agree with this post.

its very interesting - there are many different views on this subject..

the reason that the hot end is at 33 is that it was set to 30 degrees and it was quite cold still (with her not moving from the hot end... ever!)
i had spoken to our local reptile store and a couple others that recommended i raise the temp at the hot end. Provided of course that their is still a heat gradient in the enclosure and substantial amount of hides - she should pick her location in the enclosure to regulate her own body temp??

even with the hot end being at 33 degrees - she still prefers the hot end but does move around alot more.

as she was air freighted from Queensland all the way down here to Victoria - i would have guessed this would be because of the different climates??

im just guessing here but i thought that because she came from a warmer climate - thats why she prefers the warmth..?
but then i am worried about overheating!

Its a bit frustrating!

So i have noticed a few of you recommending to loose the Heat Cord??? .... why?
What good will it do?
(not having a go - just wondering why?)

The reason i had both on is so that the thermostats can regulate temps at night (as it was very cold - the thermostat would be going off it head all night. when i had both heat sources the temps were more consistent.) Previous to this - it was just the heat cord.. thats it.. (in a different enclosure)

Thanks again,

I have a diamond outside. It was 1 degree when I got in the car this morning.. I have a small heat mat in with her and thats it.

To be honest I don't know much about diamonds, but if you look at their distribution map (from Spatial portal | Atlas of Living Australia -sorry if i cant post this, mods), they mostly reside in cold and temperate areas. I can personally vouch for the blue mountains/oberon area. These areas get severe frosts and snow fall with temperatures capable of falling well below zero, but diamonds obviously still do ok here.

Pay attention to what these guys are saying :) Some of these guys really know what they are talking about!!

i only have a basking light in with my diamond (100w spotlight) get about 28-30 in his basking area, and at night i turn it off completely.

Being only 7 months old I would leave the heat on 24/7 for the rest of winter then next winter cut it back to what most experts recommend and that is giving it a basking spot of 30deg for 4-6 hrs in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back