Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No i dont have a link but if you would like PM me and i will give you the phone numbers to those places or like most of do any quick google search always is 100% correct isnt? <rolls eyes> Snakes are no different to any other reptile/animal and i can see that no matter what is said some of you will continue on believing a lie that they dont need UV. This is one of the big reasons that that i rarely comment on these threads because its mostly newbies giving other newbies advice and that is fine but before you give someone advice you need to KNOW it is 100% correct and true! Also another reason i myself and alot of others i know rarely buy reptiles from the forums and people we dont know. ALL my animals are exposed to UV and if i do come to buy an animal that hasn't been exposed there is a BIG difference! There is difference in the colour, feeding response (not in all cases though), lack of energy, tired all the time (in dragons and skinks) i could write a big list!

Here is a link i got off a breeders facebook page and judging by the comments its why reptiles NEED UVB. If you like to continue this argument i suggest you ring up all of those places or even just ONE and see what the experts have to say about it then you can pm me with an apology!

Over and OUT!

The link: UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test

Ok I am not a "newbie" my husband and I have been keeping and breeding pythons for many years now and SNAKES do not need UVB lights in their enclosures. It's just an added thing that pet shops try to sell you to make money. In LIZARDS that's a different story, yes lizards need the ubv lights for sure.
I have never had uv lights in my enclosures nor will I ever. We take them in the sun to get some natural heat every now and then but even that it's needed. That's just our personal preference.
Everyone is going to their own opinion on this and in my experience and my opinion no SNAKES do not need it but LIZARDS do!!

Clearly there is a lot of disagreement on this subject so let's just say,
if you want to provide for your animal as much as you can, give it UV light,
just incase.... I mean even if it is not NEEDED it is still beneficial to their health.
and what harm could it do if you gave it UV light?

Has anyone seen that bright yellow thing in the sky? I think we call it the sun.

Has anyone thought about taking their snakes out for a walk outside, so that the bright yellow thing we call the sun can be utilised in its natural form?

For the likes of spotted pythons, that's more than enough sunshine!

In humans (and many other animals) UV from the sun helps prevent depression (just ask a Swede how they feel during winter). In snakes, I have heard, with no evidence, that snakes appear less depressed.... Personally, I could see mine smiling in the sunshine all the time!

I tried to, but I think I've left it too long and my snakes are depressed. I grab the collar and leash and they just lie there on the floor of their enclosure, they don't get excited at all, sometimes they even curl up in a dark corner and go to sleep. If I do take them out, I have to drag them, they just don't seem to want to walk...

No i dont have a link but if you would like PM me and i will give you the phone numbers to those places or like most of do any quick google search always is 100% correct isnt? <rolls eyes> Snakes are no different to any other reptile/animal and i can see that no matter what is said some of you will continue on believing a lie that they dont need UV. This is one of the big reasons that that i rarely comment on these threads because its mostly newbies giving other newbies advice and that is fine but before you give someone advice you need to KNOW it is 100% correct and true! Also another reason i myself and alot of others i know rarely buy reptiles from the forums and people we dont know. ALL my animals are exposed to UV and if i do come to buy an animal that hasn't been exposed there is a BIG difference! There is difference in the colour, feeding response (not in all cases though), lack of energy, tired all the time (in dragons and skinks) i could write a big list!

Here is a link i got off a breeders facebook page and judging by the comments its why reptiles NEED UVB. If you like to continue this argument i suggest you ring up all of those places or even just ONE and see what the experts have to say about it then you can pm me with an apology!

Over and OUT!

The link: UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test

crap someone better tell John Weigel this , when i bout my woma from sr they told me no uv was needed and this isn't coming from newbies this is from a very respected herper

Here we go i was hoping that this would pop up soon! lol I'm sure that UV isnt necessary to survive according certain readings and papers. But! Iv noticed that my animals are much better looking and happier with some source of UV. Bredli's have a spectacular red to them with plenty of UV exposure and tend to dull off to a browny colour when they don't have it. My NT water python was very dark in colour and lacked that rainbow sheen when i first purchased her from a breeder. After a few months of UV exposure she was much healthier looking and had that nice olive brown and rainbow colour. Has anyone else noticed how nice there animals look when taken out in direct sunlight??? That said i do not have any UV globes in my enclosure as the best source of UV is the sun. So im often caught taking my animals out for a 'walk' when the weather is nice. i guess what im saying is that they done need it to survive but they are much happier animals when they do get to absorb a bit of UV.
This might sound stupid but im just putting it out there... 'Has anyone ever thought about the Psycological values of UV exposure and sunlight in reptiles???'

With the amount of uneducated crap that's tossed about on this forum & the internet it's no wonder so many of you have issues with your reptiles.

I'm going to write this very slowly so you can take it all in.... snakes (& monitors while I'm here) do not need a UV source as long as they're eating whole prey items.

Someone answer this then....

If a snake spends (let's say for arguments sake) 90% of the day time in its enclosure inside its hide - how exactly is a UV light helping them?

I admit, I wasn't home 24/7 to see when my snakes became active, I noticed they became active as the sun went down and they were far more active closer to feeding time - I guess over the years of keeping that this remains constant for a few people.

I'd occasionally catch a snake or two out and about early morning, but more generally speaking, my pythons were happily tucked up in their hides during sunlight time.

In fact, as suggested above, I used to have to physically remove my snakes to take them outside (waking sleeping snakes so to speak). They'd be outside for anywhere from 30 - 50 minutes at a time at least once or twice per week.

Funny tho - the first thing my snakes always tried to do was find shade!!!

Well, what is that telling you now?

Again, my evidence is based purely on observation and not some fancy 7 year PhD in UVology (pronounce oov ology).

So... Keeping up with the play here. I somehow doubt there is a harm to your snake by including a UV bulb to your enclosure - except for when they want 'night time' - UV bulbs do not simulate night time at all - notice that during the night the moon comes up - although a source of UV (as a reflection) it is not as strong as the sun.

So back to the beginning again - necessity? Not at all.

Harmful - only if you leave it on when night time occurs - then yes, I believe it is not required.

Money wasting - absolutely - especially when the afore mentioned sun gives 100% of the UV requirements + food - then I don't see anything more than a cosmetic waste of time, money, environment (knowing these bulbs often contain mercury and other horrible additives), and electricity.

Now, I am not talking my modest self up here at all - but isn't that sensible?

Over and OUT!

Hahaha you said it was proven and when asked to provide proof, you provide a facebook page and a UV guide from the web and continue to talk about lizards when the opening post was about snakes. And as for your newbie comment I have been keeping reptiles with no UV for over 15 years and they seem to be doing just fine. Maybe if you provide a scientific paper published in a respectable journal about snakes requiring UV you might be taken seriously. Anyway I'm off to dig up some Bandy Bandys and make sure they are getting there recommended 13hrs of UV light so they don't all die and become extinct.

Sooooo the bottom line is that Pythons don't need UV! But some species may gain slight benefits from it? well that was easy! lol :)

Over and OUT!

Snakelady96, there are at least several generations of snakes that have been, and continue to be in tip-top health and breeding condition without UV, for far longer than your tender 16 years. You sadly pass yourself off as some sort of reptile guru, but you are simply making a fool of yourself. I hate to think what a poorly informed know-all you'll be by the time you're my age...

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Snakelady96, there are at least several generations of snakes that have been, and continue to be in tip-top health and breeding condition without UV, for far longer than your tender 16 years. You sadly pass yourself off as some sort of reptile guru, but you are simply making a fool of yourself. I hate to think what a poorly informed know-all you'll be by the time you're my age...

Jamie

I don't think I've ever seen feedback that is as incorrect as what she has written Jamie, it is a real concern for others who aren't knowledgeable & are seeking advice, heaven help them if they listen to her.

Well despite all opinions and advice. I'm sure we all have the animals best interests in mind. Getting a bit personal aren't we? :)

Anybody want to cross reference what part of the spectrum (in nanometers) UVB is at and what the peak output of the "reptile" lights... any reptile light what ever the price is?

Hint UVB start at 315 - 320nm, now go and pick up the expensive light and look at the spectrum peak provided by the manufacturer and check their so called "research".

Anybody want to cross reference what part of the spectrum (in nanometers) UVB is at and what the peak output of the "reptile" lights... any reptile light what ever the price is?

Hint UVB start at 315 - 320nm, now go and pick up the expensive light and look at the spectrum peak provided by the manufacturer and check their so called "research".

Not to mention the coating on the outside of the light only allows a tiny percentage of 'actual' UV at extremely small distances - most normal sized snake enclosures would be prohibitive at the least for the distance over which the UV was being transmitted - when saying that I am merely suggesting my enclosures it would have been useless (not to mention the hides that the snakes were in when the light should be on).

...Snakes are no different to any other reptile...

except the fact they can synthesise vitamin D3 (unlike us and lizards)

so no, snakes don't need UV.

you could try and tell SXR (and few other biologists) he's a newbie...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree that snakes don't generally need UV. BUT. I spoke to a major breeder who thought it could be beneficial in GTPs - not directly for their health as far as vitamin D3 is concerned but dealing with bacteria that thrive in the humidity (older members will recall that barbers used to keep their instruments in a UV steriliser). Interestingly have normal fluoros in my juvenile GTP enclosures and they do seem to sit up close underneath them a lot of the time. I wouldn't bother using them in other species though. Diamonds? Keep them outside.

My mate has a big coastal in an outside enclosure and he comes out almost everyday to bask in the nice hot sun so when he I basking he would b catching some uv as well, so they obviously get it out in the wild? If there is no right or wrong answer then it'll just come down to everyone's preferences.

Sooooo the bottom line is that Pythons don't need UV! But some species may gain slight benefits from it? well that was easy! lol :)
True but most all species that I have worked with and read about do benefit from it. I use them one some of my animals, and like others said it helps with colors. I have also seen an increase in acktivety and appatite in mine aswell. The ones that I do not use UVB bulbs do just fine and are verry healthy.

My mate has a big coastal in an outside enclosure and he comes out almost everyday to bask in the nice hot sun so when he I basking he would b catching some uv as well, so they obviously get it out in the wild? If there is no right or wrong answer then it'll just come down to everyone's preferences.
I disagree. There is a right answer. Snakes do not need UVB rays to survive and thrive. It only benefits them. Like I aswell as a lot of others have all ready stated.

Last edited:
...when he I basking he would b catching some uv as well...

That doesn't mean UV NEEDED and that's what the main question on this thread was!

They bask in the sun cause they need the heat, not the UV.

And the heat (any heat source) makes them more active (ie foraging for prey) and helps them digest food. Therefore they'll be eating more often (providing food is available).

In winter my most snakes refuse food not because of less UV in their enclosure...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back