please help diamond wont lay eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazycarpets

Reaction score
hi everyone my freinds diamond looks gravid but wont lay she has been housed outdoors with a male diamond and has layed 30 eggs a few years ago for the last 4 weeks she has been inside at 22 degrees because she was looking a bit sickly can anyone tell me by the photos if she is gravid ? can snakes get egg bound ? and what do we do warm her rite up or take her to a vet?

snake 1.jpgsnake 2.jpg

Attachments

• snake photo (2).jpg
    snake photo (2).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 132
I am no expert but yes she looks like she has eggs. I would be taking her to a vet ASAP 22 deg is a bit on the cool side if you have her indoors she should have a temp range from 32 down to 24 or there abouts.

If she was housed outside with the male then chances are she is not preggo as it is not time yet unless they are eggs from last year which were not laid in which case get her to a vet for a ultrasound and a caesarian. Unless you've had really weird weather in your area diamonds shouldn't breed till late September .

we have had a realy freeky year for weather and she has only started to look like this the last 4 weeks will take her to a vet is there a good vet nere shepperton country vic

hrmmm what was she doing by the way you say she was looking sickly?

we have had a realy freeky year for weather and she has only started to look like this the last 4 weeks will take her to a vet is there a good vet nere shepperton country vic

There is one in Kyabram that will deal with reps.

upside down can a sign of it being gravid ....but that isn't explaining the no muscle control ... I would check out the vet JP recommended get it checked out

weird time of the year to be up the duff for a diamond

I am no expert but yes she looks like she has eggs. I would be taking her to a vet ASAP 22 deg is a bit on the cool side if you have her indoors she should have a temp range from 32 down to 24 or there abouts.

I would have thought 32 to be a tad high, even for a basking temperature, for diamond pythons. I always thought they were better off subjected to cooler temperatures, compared to many of our other captive pythons. I certainly don't speak with any authority, but I would have thought 22 to be a fairly healthy temperature for this species. Anyone else with some diamond experience care to interject here?

I keep my hot spot at 27 and my inside cage is so big cool end is room temp, all others are outside with no heating at the moment, 22 is a bit low for my liking but32 is too high go in the middle.

It could be a spinal abnormality. Basically the spine fractures and mends causing golfball size lumps. Seen it a few times in wild diamonds around Sydney.

Basking temperature and body temperature can be significantly different and a thermometer placed in a basking spot is at best a rough guide only. Using an infra-red thermometer I've measured head temperatures on a diamond at 25 degrees when the air temperature is around 13-14 degrees. The key is access to sunlight (when kept outside). I agree that it's weird that diamonds kept outdoors would be breeding yet. Here in Melbourne mating takes place Oct-Nov in my experience.

thanks so much for everyones input i talked to my freind and he bought her inside when it became realy cold because the male went into his hole under the log as he does this time of year but she kept cruising the cage trying to get out and he found her laying upside down she is off to the vet to so hopefully we will have a good result for her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back