How to prepare leaf substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannahmania

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I bought my beautiful new spotted python home today. :D (After a slight change of heart - I ended up with a different one to the one I originally purchased when the snake I was going to get gave the guy in the shop a rather nasty bite when he went to fetch it! Apparently it wasn't the "good handler" that the other person had told me it was... :( )

Anyway, one thing I have been trying to work out is how to use leaves as a substrate. At the moment I have just got newspaper down, but the enclosure is looking a little bare (with only a half-log shaped hide and a water dish) and I was thinking about scattering some leaves, but I cant for the life of me find any information on what to use or how to prepare it.

I have a japanese maple out the front that has coated the area around it in leaves... is this a suitable type of leaf to use? What do I need to do to prepare the leaves for use with the snake? Or should I be finding some kind of "special" leaves from somewhere? This just has me a little confused.

Thanks!

Sharon

if they get dried out i think the risk is minimal, you can also soak them in boiling water first then dry them out, that should eliminate any potential parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back