does red cellophane over a light cage the same as infra red? not disturbing the snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hello all
i have what i think is called a gu10 (light fitting the one thats not a screw in bulb) and my question is
because snakes cannot see the red spectrum of light(correct me if im wrong here please!)if i could use some red cellophane over the light cage to produce a red spectrum light so as not to disturb the snake during the night and provide heat during the night aswell
any help would be greatly appreciated

There have been a few discussions on here about red lights. As far as I know, there is no proof that they can't see red. If you want no light then I'd suggest painting the globes black with a heat proof paint.

There have been a few discussions on here about red lights. As far as I know, there is no proof that they can't see red. If you want no light then I'd suggest painting the globes black with a heat proof paint.

thanks for the info

Cellofain will melt mate.. And how can u not find red bulbs? Ebay ?

LED lights don't put out any heat. That's why they are so efficient

oh ok thanks very much saximus ill have to look into heat resistant paint

Ceramic bulbs are great for heating with no light.

its not a screw in fitting its a weird one with small prongs a gu10 i think its called otherwise i would've brought
them lol

Cellofain will melt mate.. And how can u not find red bulbs? Ebay ?
lol i mean cellophane around the outside of a cage light!! lol
and what i written up at the top it is a gu10 fitting i havent found any that are gu10 fitting

Are they halogen downlights that your using?? Guessing it is if gu10. Try a lighting shop for gu10 red globes. Just googled gu10 red bulb and found some straight away

lol this is a gu10 light bulb i am talkin aboutView attachment 261124

Are they halogen downlights that your using?? Guessing it is if gu10. Try a lighting shop for gu10 red globes. Just googled gu10 red bulb and found some straight away

yes halogen downlights thank you lol i didnt know what the proper name for it sorry
lol i typed in gu10 red bulbs an all i got was led ones figures...lol
thanks for you r help :)

thank you all for help :)
its greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Probably easier to switch the fitting to an E27, and then buy a night glow bulb (purple / black). They put out a lot less light than the red ones.

Probably easier to switch the fitting to an E27, and then buy a night glow bulb (purple / black). They put out a lot less light than the red ones.[/QUOT
if i could switch the fitting then i would have already done so.....stoopid store bought reptile tanks.... cant change the fitting!!!

Snakes can see the red spectrum in light,.
why do u want to dull the light? Is it for night?

Canines can't see the red spectrum of light.
lol infra red lights lol snakes cant notice it....
also Their retinas lack a specific "red receptor" in the choroid layer of the retina

lol the red spectrum of light is not really that noticeable by snakes say compared to a dasylight bulb
i have my coastal; 24/7 on a n infrared light and he seems fine but i was lucky it had a e27 fitting...

Last edited:
Humans can't see infra red light either,... So how would you know if it's an infrared?
those infrared light heaters are just red light... And the reptiles can see it,

Probably easier to switch the fitting to an E27, and then buy a night glow bulb (purple / black). They put out a lot less light than the red ones.[/QUOT
if i could switch the fitting then i would have already done so.....stoopid store bought reptile tanks.... cant change the fitting!!!

lol infra red lights lol snakes cant notice it....
also Their retinas lack a specific "red receptor" in the choroid layer of the retina

lol the red spectrum of light is not really that noticeable by snakes say compared to a dasylight bulb
i have my coastal; 24/7 on a n infrared light and he seems fine but i was lucky it had a e27 fitting...

If you can see the red colour in the light output then it is not infrared "lol"

That part of the spectrum is just that red light "lol"

Infrared part of the spectrum is not visible to the human eye "lol"

Infrared is not light but radiation "lol"

Infrared manifest itself as heat so anything that emits heat emits infrared radiation but not necessarily red light "lol"

Last edited:
If you can see the red colour in the light output then it is not infrared "lol"

That part of the spectrum is just that red light "lol"

Infrared part of the spectrum is not visible to the human eye "lol"

Infrared is not light but radiation "lol"

Infrared manifest itself as heat so anything that emits heat emits infrared radiation but not necessarily red light "lol"

lol well thank you for your information but thats toatally not what i meant lol please excuse my bad phrasing...

so the zoomed infra red nocturnal light is not infra red?? thats the globe im using...

Last edited:
i have 2 lights for my diamonds i use a normal one and a red one and i set alams on my fone so i know when to change them over i only use the red one at night and the normal one through the day

Reptiles can see the red lights..I know from experience..Try the Purple/Black light..

Infrared lights, I would assume, are a mix of infrared and red coloured light.

I swapped my red globe for a purple/black night globe as I have my vivarium in my bedroom and the purple/black light is much easier on my eyes at night.

I would assume (again) that if I find the purple light less disturbing, my snake probably does as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back