what is hypo het ect

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhamMagsBaird89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to herpingband am just wondering what this whole hypo or her mean. Is it a gene for breeding I just don't understand it at all cheers

hi and welcome im pretty new to genetics myself if im not mistaken hypo is a morph?
if you look towards the top right corner and you will see a search bar just type in Hets and some threads should pop up look towards the bottom of the first page hope this helps

Het is just means it carries the albino gene. Either 66% chance it does or 100% im not goin right into it as cbf typing that much hope that helps

Hypo is short for hypomelanism so less black then normal. Het is short for heterozygous, which in short means it carries two forms of the one gene, one of which is usually recessive so it looks like a normal wild type but has the potential to produce the recessive condition. In herps it usually refers to albinism.

So is 100%het an albino or has just GT the gene

Thanks heaps 100%understand nw

100% means its not albino but is more likely to throw albino offspring :)
I wouldn't describe it as "more likely". It is guaranteed to have one allele for a recessive characteristic. 100% or 66% comes from the pairings of the parents. 100% means that a homozygous animal was paired with a normal animal. So all of the babies have to inherit the recessive gene from the homo parent. 66% is from two hets being paired because 75% of the offspring look normal but only two thirds (probability wise) of them will be hets.

Also, het doesn't only relate to albinism; it is any recessive trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back