Noodles' dinner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disintegratus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
After reading an old thread on APS about alternative foods for pythons etc, I thought I'd try feeding one of mine some chicken. I don't plan on doing this as a regular thing, I just mostly wanted to see if it would work. So, I thought I'd trial Noodles because he's a machine. I figured at worst, I've spent 44 cents on a treat for one of the dogs. So I bought a chicken drumstick, didn't even have to scent it with anything, he smashed it!! I'm so proud! Now if only he'd eat his carrots and beans too...

Hahaha, when I had my big coastal I tried a 1/2 grown chicken just because the local pet shop gave it to me as a trial. He smashed it down but damn did his poop stink!

Noodles hasn't pooped yet, though I'm not looking forward to it. I feed them day old chicks sometimes, and yeesh! the stench will make your eyes water. Doesn't seem to matter if I've de-yolked them or not.

Word on the street is chicks aint good for our lil snakeys to much vitamin A!

Don't they eat chicks on the street anyway? Those vitamin A laden chicks must be the death of those street snakes....

But on the side, I've fed whole quail... And I once tried freshly caught fish - but no interest in the fish what so ever...

Thought i may add my two cents, i dont think its good to feed chicken bits, necks, legs ect on a regual basis , or at all really to a snake. Just because it is not a complete food item, a whole chick,quail mouse ect will have bones, fur, muscle, fat, guts and whatnot to make up all the nutritional requirments. Whereas the bits of chicken only have muscle, bone and some fat. I would be concerned for what they are not getting out of it.

I agree, and have no intention of using chicken parts as a main diet, or realistically, probably ever again. I just wanted to see if he'd take it really. And I don't feed chicks often, usually only when I'm out of rodents and won't be getting any more for a while. They LOVE them though. Sometimes with rodents they take their time about eating, but every time I offer them a day old chick, they smash them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back