Breeding Darwins

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleGuy

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first year breeding my darwins, anyway my male has recently gone through shed and since the shed has no motivation to mate. My females behaviour has just started to change becoming more secretive etc, and beginning to swell (hopefully the early stages of follicle development). I was just wondering why there is no mating activity occuring at the moment and how I could encourage it. The have mated alot prior to the shed however not now, coming into the most crucial time.. Any help or advise would be muchly appreciated!
Cheers Tim

It's very important not to pair them early as the male needs his sex drive at the right time.

yeah, 100% sure male (saw his bits whilst mating in the past). Yeah i've been separating them and trying again, scented the cage with other males skins and stuff to help encourage him to mate but no luck as yet. Does anyone know how likely the semen from last matings is likely to fertilize the eggs, i've heard they can hold the semen for up to 6 months but i cant think of anything worse than having a full clutch of slugs. I have another male i can use however this is last resort as he is a het and current breeding pair is het female to albino male.

I would suggest taking the female out for about 30min and put that other male in the enclosure then after halfa take him out put her back in and put the other male in with her

yeah I was thinking about doing that, will definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

All good mate i have never bred pythons but gunna try next year so gainning ad much knowledge as possible and herd that work but dont hold me to it

Yeah any ideas are helpful at the moment, they're in the hide together at the moment so hopefully ill find them mating in the morning. If not I'll give it a shot and let you know how I go.
Cheers Tim

she sounds like she could be already gravid but to be sure separate them for a week and reintroduce if she is not already gravid he will go for it . I had one pair of darwins that i thought didn't mate until she dropped her eggs (she was a big snake)

she sounds like she could be already gravid but to be sure separate them for a week and reintroduce if she is not already gravid he will go for it . I had one pair of darwins that i thought didn't mate until she dropped her eggs (she was a big snake)
I've observed a lot of mating, but yeah now they've stopped. I don't think she is gravid because she isn't highly sensitive when she is touched (doc rock says will occur during follicular development and ovulation), and she isnt showing much mid body swelling its only just beginning from what I can see. She's in good condition but I wouldn't consider her a big snake so I think swelling should be more visible if she was gravid. i'll just have to be patient and see how things go.
Cheers Tim

I would suggest taking the female out for about 30min and put that other male in the enclosure then after halfa take him out put her back in and put the other male in with her

and hope your albino doesnt attack your female cause the scent of the other male is so fresh....

If you are going to go with this make sure there is atleast 1 or 2 days before you re-introduce your albino male to your female. The scent of the other male will be there but no where near as strong so as to confuse him.

It could also be that your female is already gravid - I know there is atleast one of ours still looking nice and fat :)

and hope your albino doesnt attack your female cause the scent of the other male is so fresh....

If you are going to go with this make sure there is atleast 1 or 2 days before you re-introduce your albino male to your female. The scent of the other male will be there but no where near as strong so as to confuse him.

It could also be that your female is already gravid - I know there is atleast one of ours still looking nice and fat :)

Yeah, I took that into account and closely monitored them made sure no aggression was shown. I think i'll just take him out and give him a good 1-2 week (depending on patience) break and see what difference that makes and then to plan B.
Cheers Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back