Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake182

Reaction score
Hello girls and guys
well my male children python is shedding ATM the dead skin is off him till about half way down him and there still skin on his bell I put warm water in there and he went for a swim and blowing bubbles out of his nose now he is sitting in the water/sliding throw it
And tonight going to be a cold night and the water is in the cold side so should I move it to the warm side or just leave him as he is now?.

Thanks
( sorry for bad spilling and grammar I just wanna go to bed)

Now his hole body is under water beside his head

And he also eat this afternoon

Last edited:
If you have that trouble again give him a bath in a conatiner of warm camomile tea. 10-15mins in there and the shed will rub/peel off in your hands or a damp cloth you are holding for your snake to slither through. Works a treat and completely safe.

I always have bad sheds, but only with my aspidites. I usually soak them in a warm tub for an hour or so, and then ever so gently peel it off. There is never any issue, just a very slow process. Think I might give the camomile tea a go next time.

My mate has a mistreated carpet, 6ft and cranky. She regularly has bad sheds and after a soak in one of those toy tubs with the clip on lid that is half full of warm water and several camolmile tea bags, she calms down and it feels such a relief to her that she lets George and Deb peel the shed off her and even pushes against their fingers to help get it off. The soak time would vary a bit on how bad the retention is I guess but 1/2 hr should be heaps.

Yeah as soon as I put a bigger dish and warm water in last night he was in the for about 1 hour also if it bad if you let your snake swim in a bath tub your something if he enjoys it?.

my snake absolutely hates water! i found that spraying him with a bit of warm water and moving his water bowl to the hot end along with some rougher sticks did the trick. his first shed with us was really bad we bathed him often and he still had a hard time.

I thught Skittles wuld object to the bath too, but i just grabbed a deep Sytema kitchen container and plonked her in and added the lid. There is more than enough air in there so no need to modify the container. She just chucked a lap to suss out the container then just settled in and wasn't grumpy when I got her out either.

Skittles usually manages to shed in a sinle piece and we have a couple of great samples for the kids show and tells. I had to do it last shed as she retained the last scale or two on her tail, I missed it but my daughter spotted it straight away when she held her.

we used a kitty litter tray but patches just kept getting out so we tried the bath tub. he spends more time trying to climb up the side then in the water. in the end we just gave up on the idea of baths and sprayed ( misted) him with warm water

I'm not sure what it is about the camomile that makes such a difference but it really does soften things up.

I probably should have worded that better... :D

This one is cranky and so is a turd to remove from her enclosure etc and sheds poorly due to the way she was treated. She was kept in an outdoor enclosure in Inverell, we have regular -4 nights and can get down to -10.

Camomile tea bags?

Is that for real?
Who would have known?

Thanks guys, I'll make a note for next time!
My Woma hates water and if I 'force' him longer in water, he always defecates in water...

Hope tea bags will make it somehow a bit quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought I had better just clarify... you don't leave the tea bags in there. I make the camomile using boiling water into a good strong brew then I add whatever water is needed to end up with a luke warm soaking depth. So for a larger snake like my mates 6ft carpet he with use enough teabags (4-6) to make a large jug full or better part of a bucket of tea, he then uses one of those 60L toy tubs from the reject shop to make a bath deep enough for her to cover herself in.

And yes Rvcasa it is for real, this isn't something I've just heard of I have watched it used and I've used it myself. It sounds kind of bizaare. My wife says that it is used in some skin lotions and reminded me that it is used as a relaxant if you are having trouble sleeping etc. So it may be that part of the way it helps is that it releaves some of the discomfort and that the snake calms down... I really don't know but I'll ask my mate if he knows any clear answer about it.

Ok found some info... Information on camomile.

There is a heap of infor on the page but here is the opening statement...
[h=1]Camomile (Chamomile)[/h] Camomile has anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties and is used to treat eczema, rashes, and windburn. The properties of camomile are also great for indigestion, diarrhea, cramps, colic and flatulence, as well as for coughs, colds, muscular pains and gout. It also relieves stress and anxiety.

Last edited:
Amazing!
In my wildest dreams, it wouldn't have cross my mind... something sooo simple!
(but then, I don't really drink tea. and I don't think a double ristretto would have gone down well ah ah)

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back