eastern beardie or a central beardie please help !!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bearded_kid

Reaction score
hi all,
well i have a little dilemma. i have recently purchased a baby bearded dragon. the pet store(who will remain un-named) that sold me this little "fella" informed me that he was 3 months old and is a central beardie.
i have measured him and he measures exactly 6" from nose to the tip of the tail and this seems a little small for a 3 month old dragon. also a close frend of mine informed me that he may not be a central beardie and looks rather like an eastern beardie.
if anyone could clarify this for me i would be extremely grateful. especially on the eastern vs central query. thank you in advance :)

p.s if you can comment or speculate on male or female that would be great but due to the poor photos and the dragons age i am sceptical as to wether this is even possible lol

thank you very much

Attachments

• 2012-08-03 19.09.49.jpg
    2012-08-03 19.09.49.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 153
  • 2012-08-03 19.09.22.jpg
    2012-08-03 19.09.22.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 133
Looks like my little 3-4 mth old central to me, sexing is harder at this age you tube how to sex it it's easy when you know what to look for under them

i dont mean to hijack your thread but i can't create my own to ask this question. where about do i start my own thread? i can't find it.

Mitch go into the thread 'generally discussion' or what ever you want and top left will have start new thread button

click forum at the top of this page, open the topic you want your thread to be in. then theres a clickable button about centre screen that reads. create new thread :)

thanks damian, i was told to look for the small ridges at the base of the tail underneath him/her/it though i cant see any. maybe its a newbie thing haha.

Last edited:
click forum at the top of this page, open the topic you want your thread to be in. then theres a clickable button about centre screen that reads. create new thread :)

thanks damian, i was told to look for the small ridges at the base of the tail underneath him/her/it though i cant see any. maybe its a newbie thing haha.

Not a newbie thing a breeder gave me two female that he said the smaller was definately a male, turned out to be a female there is a definate difference when you look at both

It's 100% central beardy. As for the size, growth rates can depend largely on temps and feeding schedule.

And have more of an arrow shaped head rather than more/triangular if I'm not wrong

fantastic, thank you all heaps. it turns out my friend may not be as knowledgeable as he thinks haha. also very fast responses. that was great :)

I always see them advertised, theres no real demand for them as theyre 'not as pretty, colour wise'

- ybn

Definitely a central. Your friend might be confused as centrals often get sold as 'easterns', and so lots of people don't really know the difference. :) (I've noticed it's particularly common on Canberra, due to our slightly ridiculous licencing laws.)

As for the size, pet shops often don't feed their baby beardies too much (presumably so that they remain small enough to be easily housed until they're bought), so they'll often be a fair bit smaller than an equivalent animal which has spent most of its life in a private home.

It probably won't be able to be reliably sexed until it's a bit bigger. It looks like a lovely little dragon, though! :)

Edit: Also, if it's 3 months old then it was hatched pretty late for the season - I used to have a dragon which was also born super late (unfortunately she died a few months ago), and she was always minuscule for her age...ate very little, grew super slowly. Just throwing it out there that it could be a factor, but I don't have enough experience to know whether that's common for late hatchlings.

Last edited:
I always see them advertised, theres no real demand for them as theyre 'not as pretty, colour wise'

- ybn

Each to their own I guess, but there are some amazing looking easterns. I thought the reason for them not being as popular was because they are much more timid compared to centrals.

Last edited:
hi all,
well i have a little dilemma. i have recently purchased a baby bearded dragon. the pet store(who will remain un-named) that sold me this little "fella" informed me that he was 3 months old and is a central beardie.
i have measured him and he measures exactly 6" from nose to the tip of the tail and this seems a little small for a 3 month old dragon. also a close frend of mine informed me that he may not be a central beardie and looks rather like an eastern beardie.
if anyone could clarify this for me i would be extremely grateful. especially on the eastern vs central query. thank you in advance :)

p.s if you can comment or speculate on male or female that would be great but due to the poor photos and the dragons age i am sceptical as to wether this is even possible lol

thank you very much

looks like a central to me

Would be pretty lucky to get an Eastern. They are far harder to come by than the centrals.

so different from when I was a kid,there were no centrals

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back