How to get rid of mites ?!?!?!? Please, need help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RepifilmzTV

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking over my bredli today I came across what most likely looks to be a mite :(. Little black dot smaller than one of his scales and located on the side of his belly about half way down his body. I brought myself some Repti-Guard Mite Spray, But am not 100% sure how to use it (the part where the directions are is all warn and cant read it). Can I spray it directly on the mite (on the snake) ? If not how else can i get the mite off him? and how do I make sure they don't come back?

Thanks Aussie.

Don't treat unless you are 100% sure it has mites.If you can only see one then there is a huge chance that it is not a mite.

last time i treated for mites i used predatory mites Hypoaspis Miles worked better than expected.

i boxed the snakes in a box with only newspaper and a waterbowl and with a hidebox where i had put in some moist/wet cocos soil/dirt/humus, potting soil can be used aswell as long as it isnt fertilised.

i poured 1 portion of mites into the hide, and after few days i could see a clear reduction of the snake mites, after a week i could not see any snake mites, i let the snake be in the box for 4 weeks, the only thing i changed was newspaper and water 1-2 times a week.

its the less stressfull and harmless treatment i have come across so far, and i will do it again if i get snake mites in my collection.

the predatory mites will die when there nothing left to eat, (other mites, mite eggs etc) they dont bite the snakes.

I'm not sure anybody in Australia is still breeding these for sale. We were doing it at the beneficial bug company at University Of Western Sydney. They work very well in outdoor pits providing it's humid. The biggest problems in enclosures is the lack of humidity. You need to raise the humidity levels in the enclosure for them to be really effective.

Just take out the water bowl , spray the snake and the cage lightly . wait till next day , wash snake , just put it in warm clean water , bath etc . Put water back in cage with snake . If it hasnt got mites it wont hurt anything to do it :]

I'm not sure anybody in Australia is still breeding these for sale. We were doing it at the beneficial bug company at University Of Western Sydney. They work very well in outdoor pits providing it's humid. The biggest problems in enclosures is the lack of humidity. You need to raise the humidity levels in the enclosure for them to be really effective.
what?you are breeding mites?who buys mites?

Noodles had a massive issue with mites, he had them for ages. I tried everything under the sun for them, but he was like one of those kids who's always got nits, I just couldn't get rid of them. Then I bought Top of Descent. Sprayed him twice according to the directions, and haven't had an issue since. I would suggest rather than doing what I did and trying all the cheap ***** first, just go straight for the Top of Descent. It's not cheap, but its worth every cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back