touchy subject trophies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
one thing that really gets to me is that people that call themselves game hunters and then show of there kill as a trophie,. to me that's really weird . how can you get a kick out of killing something so innocent just for a trophie, what is wrong with this world. like these people that pose with there kill and gun . Im glad i never turned out that way, even living up on a farm with a gun and plenty to shoot i never shot a thing, only thing i ever shot was a sheep that had been injured and was in serious pain that it could not survive. my dad never shot anything only his dog after it killed the neighbours sheep and even then that was a very hard thing for my farther to do. i guess some people just don't no any better or that they cant see the big picture. what brought this to mine was that i was driving yesterday and a guy had a fresh kill ,head of wild pig attached to his truck driving along nsw newcastle rd like to me thats offensive and kids don't need to see that.

Just because you think it’s weird doesn’t make it wrong or people who do it should be bagged for doing it.
Most of my friends think I'm weird for having snakes as pets but don't bag or say I'm glad I never turned out like that.
I love animals but when I was younger and more to the point allowed by the boss loved going out and helping some farmers hunt and kill pigs and roos.
Each to their own and people should not judge because it’s not something you would do. Its not illegal

im with sutto on this one , i shoot myself but very rarely do i shoot at anything alive , only ever shot rabbits on a mates farm which is for a reason , their a pest , same as wild pigs , sure there are those who go out and blow away anything that moves but the majority arnt like that , you shouldn't label a whole as bad just because of the minority

i actually read an article in a hunting magazine recently where some hunters where making nesting boxes for ducks to nest in during the off season

so we arnt all a bunch of Rambos that are out there to put a hole in anything that moves

Although i have never went hunting, I'm on the fence about taking pictures of your kill. But as long as you eat what you kill I have no problem with it.

I've never understood why people go out and shoot a beautiful animal for fun, have their picture taken with it and bring it home to stuff and mount.

But it's not as simple as hating the hunter. In Australia we have multitudes of feral animals that are causing an ecological disaster. Wild pigs, goats, buffalo, cats and dogs all threaten our ecosystems and our native wildlife. We need to control their numbers somehow. Culling with guns is one way to do it and more humane than poison if it's a clean kill.

I don't have a problem with hunting, especially ferals, good on those people contributing to preserving native fauna and flora by eliminating introduced pest provided it is humane with no or minimal suffering.

The only issue I have is game farms that breed endangered species (sable antelope, Scimitar horned oryx) for the hunting industry and then jump on the conservation bandwagon. Just because a species has a growing captive population does not mean it is contributing anything to their wild counterparts. Many game breeders don't participate in reintroduction programs or even donate a percentage of income to in situ conservation, the income only goes back into the captive ranch. If your going to do this then at least call it like it is, saying that you are securing the sustainability of the captive population of an endangered animal is still important, but trying to put a pretty bow on it with talk of conservation diminishes their credibility to me personally.

Look i used to go shooting on occasion myself for foxes, rabbits and so on. Now that im involved more with Fauna rescue work. Its not so much. (for some reason) I see exactly what ELAPID is saying tho. Its not the act of shooting itself. Its perhaps the thought processes that are behind it. I guess what im trying to say is that If you go out for the 'thrill' (and pig hunting is pretty intense) or Enjoyment of the kill. What questions does that raise? Do you enjoy killing? What happened to you as a child to take pleasure in killing? I understand that this affection is for only a few shooters out there.... but there is enough of them.
ON THE OTHER HAND! The human instinct to kill is perfectly natural.... its not disgusting, its not even weird. Its actually quite normal from an instinctual point of view. Those little endorphins that get released after a kill or intense hunt is probably part of our survival strategy. Every shooter will justify their hobby to themselves and that is what matters. regardless whether its for feral control, humane ultimatums or pleasure.
but the question must be asked.... Do you enjoy killing??

If it's a feral animal and it is killed swiftly and humanely I am all for killing them - how else can we hope to one day control their numbers? As for taking photos after it's dead, I don't know. It's up to the individual. If the price everyone pays for someone removing a feral pest from the wild is to feel a little uncomfortable if we stumble upon pictures of a hunter posing, I'll happily pay it.

i agree with elapid@ why do we need to kill things its not there fault they are ferral so i dont think killing is the right way to go about anything!!! unless it is nessesary

im a bow hunter and the skill knowledge of enviroment eco system animal behavior ect is way above most peoples undestanding as ill have to find prey stalk in on it to often under 20 meters and be sure 1 shot 1 KILL some times you'll spend 3 days and walk 25 km just tring to get a good shot off so a photo of all my hard work is deserved. .... is it any diff to takeing a photo of a fish you have caught if so // where do YOU draw the line? and who says YOU draw that line!!!

i dont enjoy KILLING i enjoy being out in real nature and all that comes with it ... but i do enjoy the hunt im no red neck that blows away anything that moves i hunt witha bow and have ethics that i follow. 1 shot 1 kill if i am not sure of a quick kill i wont take the shot

Last edited:
i love how people say ' i would NEVER/have NEVER shot/killed anything' then go onto say how they shot a sheep/dog/rabbit, here is a news flash folks you HAVE shot/killed something

here is another news flash, 'feral' animals are responsible for the destruction of naturally habitat and native animals, lets all repeat after me CANE TOADS

I find it amusing that people belive that it is wrong and cruel and all this other crap but me and my broter have shot at the same property for years mainly rabbits and without doubt every time we there there are still a hell of alot of bunnys in the same spot... People need to relise that most shooters shoot introduced species!! So in a way its the same argument as y most of us on here wont keep exotic pythons? The dont belong her and ruin our native flora and fauna so since they are here and so over populated y not have abit of fun and shoot the lil buggers.. Also alot of effort goes into gettin those trophies mate its not asif they are shootin an animal that will just stand there whilst u take ur shot..

I dont like the idea of killing animals myself but I stand by hunting if it has a practical purpose.for food,control of pest species,etc.but i dont get hunting as a sport,though i dont judge people that do its their way of life.

Food for thought,in Africa there a game parks that breed animals like cheetahs for the sole purpose of being shot for sport.i find the idea disturbing but the argument is that its no different to tracking down and killing any other animal.the animals are captive bred so there is no chance of being released into the wild as they will only be shot by farmers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say it. If it's feral, I love the kill. I have no desire to even look twice at a native animal, in fact I volunteered my time for 10 years to raise and rehab injured native wildlife. Nothing 'happened' to me as a child, I'm the second of 2 children, my mother is a school principal and my dad works in a hospital, but was a panel beater for most of my childhood. I've always loved animals and was never without my own personal zoo. I did well in school, got an OP5, a double degree (science based), have worked in wildlife parks and my current job paid job is FIFO rescuing wildlife from throughout QLD. I have always had steady relationships, never fought unnecessarily, haven't had a beer in over a month. Having said all that, I've been shooting in one form or another since I was 9. I didn't grow up around guns, I took it on myself to get my license after years of bowhunting. I love being out in the bush, birdwatching, herping, rockclimbing/abseiling, taking photos and I sure love shooting ferals. I do actually enjoy knowing that I am doing one more thing to help the environment. Even when I was a kid I built myself an air rifle so I could shoot the myna birds around our yard that were kicking the native parrots out of their nesting logs.

Im my honest opinion, and everyone has one, if you blow away a nice boar you may as well take a photo. Better still take the tusks. Like every pastime, there are always tossers, there are bad drivers, unhygienic cooks, taxi drivers that don't speak english, kids that rob pensioners. It doesn't mean all drivers, cooks, taxi drivers and kids are bad people.

Nothing like a good hunt to give our already wrecked environment a hand.

Last edited:
If there was no hunting we would all be living with dangerous animals all around us. im all for hunting, i plan on going one day. feral animals dont belong in australia, they are killing our native wildlife.

If its FERAL shoot it if you dont know don't shoot it
learn to spot a feral !!!
I loved shooting rabbits as a little boy with my grandfather and his 303 outside of coota ,funny we never did find many of the bodies :)

As far as I'm concerned if its feral its in peril. I can argue all I want that I don't like killing, but I must, if I didn't I would just go target shooting. I get a thrill from the kill, I don't know why, frankly I don't care. I just go with it, I can't change how I feel so I just roll with it.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

I believe that people have the same mental capacity as the animals they hunt. If we were half as evolved or intelligent as we would like to think, we'd have a better way of dealing with threats to our natural environment.
Hunting for sport or pleasure, and not necessity, is both primitive and barbaric. I have absolutely no respect for "people" (and I use that term loosely) that hunt for those reasons.

*My opinion only, don't shoot me down. I appreciate that everybody has their own opinion and I'm not looking for an argument.*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back