touchy subject trophies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricochet's comment reminds me of that 60 minute story about the 'live cattle export' thing. Some of the images were rather Horrific. Although i did watch this while ripping into an 800grm steak that i soaked in butter, But that's another story. And one disturbing image was the cattle shaking with fear while another animal was being processed in front of it. Is this an act of cruelty? Iv grown to show respect for the animals i dispatch now. ON THE OTHER HAND when a Lioness takes down a buffalo or Gazelle, its not pretty either. She has to crush the windpipe to kill it and then tear it apart to feed her young. So really abatoirs are the most humane way to produce and process livestock. oh and RICOCHET! its not vegetarians you should have problems with its VEGAN'S! they are vile self righteous, soul sucking hippies. And i hate hippies!!!! lol :)

And to the fellow shooters that are happy and proud to announce why they like hunting. Good on ya! Im not one to judge. i still hunt and spearfish myself. And i also like black PVC, GIMP MASKS, whips and chain and all sorts or freaky stuff in the bedroom so i guess its a case of each to their own. :)

My first post was harshly worded, I apologise to the people I wrongly offended.

I am talking only about the following groups of people;

* People that hunt for no reason other than 'the thrill' or for a trophy (then waste the rest of the animal).

* People that hunt/kill inhumanely, including hunting with poisons, traps etc. where the animal has to endure unnecessary pain or a lengthy death.

My first post was harshly worded, I apologise to the people I wrongly offended.

I am talking only about the following groups of people;

* People that hunt for no reason other than 'the thrill' or for a trophy (then waste the rest of the animal).

* People that hunt/kill inhumanely, including hunting with poisons, traps etc. where the animal has to endure unnecessary pain or a lengthy death.
thats still pretty much the same as before though , and who hunts with poisons other than national parks , i know your entitled to your opinion and the second point is pretty fair , but as for the first one , theres not much i see wrong with leaving the meat of a large wild animal thats probably riddled with parasites in the meat and only taking the head or trophy

i dont take any of the rabbits that i shoot home , they get buried though

I don't think there is anything wrong with trophy hunting....If it is a feral animal and dispatched quickly and cleanly.
I used to hunt... a fair bit actually. I also own my own property and used to help my elderly nan run her thousands of acres. I can personally attest to the damage that feral's, particularly boars and cats do.
My nan breeds pigs, free range (amoung other things) and feral pigs would cause massive problems often attacking the domestic pigs and sometimes even killing them. They would also breed with the domestic sows creating half breed, smaller and very aggressive offspring which more times then not if allowed to grow up and reproduce were very unpredictable and prone to attacking people. They would also eat and mutilate their own piglets often eating an entire litter of around 8-10 piglets in a matter of days despite having access to food 24/7.
In the shire my property is located the council does very little to help property owners with feral animal control. I once rang them to see what options they had for feral cat control and I was told that the only thing they could do is rent me some traps and it was up to me to 'dispose' of the animals once caught.

And humans cause no damage to the native environment do they?:rolleyes: Only more than all the introduced species the world over but it's ok to sit in the house that untold wildlife died for and pass judgement on animals we, the humans, introduced in the first place.

And humans cause no damage to the native environment do they?:rolleyes: Only more than all the introduced species the world over but it's ok to sit in the house that untold wildlife died for and pass judgement on animals we, the humans, introduced in the first place.
Ahh touche, you have a valid point there. ultimately we are the environments greatest source of destruction.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

I believe that people have the same mental capacity as the animals they hunt. If we were half as evolved or intelligent as we would like to think, we'd have a better way of dealing with threats to our natural environment.
Hunting for sport or pleasure, and not necessity, is both primitive and barbaric. I have absolutely no respect for "people" (and I use that term loosely) that hunt for those reasons.

*My opinion only, don't shoot me down. I appreciate that everybody has their own opinion and I'm not looking for an argument.*

Love this primative talk and on the same level as animals? Im sorry mate but i can only point out one major advancement that humans have over the animal A GUN so that would take the primative talk outta the equation. And barbaric? How one shot dead end of story we dont capture the animal and take it to a POW camp and inslave it.

Sinners121, my issue is not with ranching or breeding for trophy hunting (even though I personally don't agree with the ethics of it), it is when people use the conservation bandwagon as a false facade.

My examples of the elephants and lions was more to illustrate the possible snowball effect that can occur even though common mindset simply views it as one individual out of a population.

I do however disagree with some of your statements, Lions generally mature at around 3.5 to 4 years of age they do not usually have the strength to overtake a pride at this age though. Their longevity is 10-14 years and the older they are the more conspecific fights they engage in resulting in scars or more serious visible injuries. Trophy hunters do want the BIG guys but they also want the animals in pristine condition. So it is extremely realistic to expect the most sought after lions are in the 6-9 year old age bracket as they are at their fittest, big and strong with less fights over protecting a pride so they are the pinnacle of what a male lion should look like in it's prime. At 8 years of age the most likely best possible scenario is that male was able to take over a pride at 5 years of age, he has therefore sired 3 maybe 4 generations of cubs at best. Once he is removed and a new male takes over the cubs and adolescents are killed or forced out, so the most recent generations are removed. So it is very possible those males only pass their genetics on to 1-2 generations.

Also the illegal wildlife trade is only behind guns and drugs so of course it is happening even without the legal avenues, but opening legal avenues makes it easier for the illegal markets to move their products. Look at the elephant ivory trade example I mentioned earlier.

I am not saying trophy hunting should be stopped! It has many benefits which are mentioned above by many people, but it does also have negatives.

Sinners121, my issue is not with ranching or breeding for trophy hunting (even though I personally don't agree with the ethics of it), it is when people use the conservation bandwagon as a false facade.

My examples of the elephants and lions was more to illustrate the possible snowball effect that can occur even though common mindset simply views it as one individual out of a population.

I do however disagree with some of your statements, Lions generally mature at around 3.5 to 4 years of age they do not usually have the strength to overtake a pride at this age though. Their longevity is 10-14 years and the older they are the more conspecific fights they engage in resulting in scars or more serious visible injuries. Trophy hunters do want the BIG guys but they also want the animals in pristine condition. So it is extremely realistic to expect the most sought after lions are in the 6-9 year old age bracket as they are at their fittest, big and strong with less fights over protecting a pride so they are the pinnacle of what a male lion should look like in it's prime. At 8 years of age the most likely best possible scenario is that male was able to take over a pride at 5 years of age, he has therefore sired 3 maybe 4 generations of cubs at best. Once he is removed and a new male takes over the cubs and adolescents are killed or forced out, so the most recent generations are removed. So it is very possible those males only pass their genetics on to 1-2 generations.

Also the illegal wildlife trade is only behind guns and drugs so of course it is happening even without the legal avenues, but opening legal avenues makes it easier for the illegal markets to move their products. Look at the elephant ivory trade example I mentioned earlier.

I am not saying trophy hunting should be stopped! It has many benefits which are mentioned above by many people, but it does also have negatives.

well said

it will be sad when we wipe everything out to extinction for all our made up excuses.

Last edited:
Is it any different to fishing and keeping your catch? Holding up a big snapper or even standing next to a sail fish.
I've done my fair share of shooting pigs, rabbits, goats etc.. it wasnt about the kill. More the hunt which to me was like fishing. JMO
I aslo find hunting with a camera gives me the same thrill. Underwater photography is as much fun as spearfishing and photo's of animals on land is as much fun as shooting, perhaps because I enjoy the hunt of finding something... Getting a good photograph is a trophy in the same way.

I should add. Old photo's are not good eating....

There are plenty of people around I'd like to shoot, trust me, it's just that acquiring the permits is harder and harder every generation.

There are plenty of people around I'd like to shoot, trust me, it's just that acquiring the permits is harder and harder every generation.
its not that hard if you dont have a record , just takes time

Well atleast people who do hunt are doing more for the cause then you guys having a winge. Do gooders

If it wasn't for cruel humans, all animals would die in their sleep at a ripe old age..........

If it wasn't for cruel humans, all animals would die in their sleep at a ripe old age..........​

Hope you were saying that tongue in cheek otherwise tell that to the rabbit being eaten by the fox, the parrot being eaten by the cat, the sheep being eaten by the wild dog or the baby being eaten by the dingo

Hope you were saying that tongue in cheek otherwise tell that to the rabbit being eaten by the fox, the parrot being eaten by the cat, the sheep being eaten by the wild dog or the baby being eaten by the dingo

Haven't you ever visited an "Old Wild Animals Home?"

Most animals in Australia have a predator from insects up to Elapids and marsupials.
People who get upset at the death of an animal need some perspective. I dislike unwarranted cruelty but
death is what rolls round for all of us. Animals and humans alike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back