Best book for NEW carpet python owner? (not Keeping & Breeding Pythons)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapped

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to snakes (getting an adult MD next week) and was after a comprehensive book for a complete newbie to Pythons, in particular Carpet pythons and their care.

I purchased Keeping & Breeding Pythons, and it is very basic stuff unless I was interested in breeding etc...which I aren't. :p

I don't want to spend a fortune and then find out I've got the wrong book, so after recommendations, as it seems there are a few favorites.

Something that covers all about keeping Carpet pythons....enclosures, temps, feeding, handling, in greater detail would be good.

Thanks in advance.

The Complete Carpet Python should suit your needs I think.

And congrats on your purchase, it's a great hobby!

Thanks Umbral, when I was looking first at books, I was tossing up between that one and Keeping & Breeding Python book, should have spent the extra $30. Doh. Oh well, shall stick that one on Ebay or something and grab a copy of the other. Cheers.

Keeping & Breeding Aussie Pythons and The Complete Carpet Python are both great books to have, cazbear.

Keeping & Breeding has a lot of information, especially for a beginner such as yourself, and will help you set up and keep your new pythons properly. The Complete Carpet Python is a relatively new book with a much more in-depth look into carpet pythons as well as carpet python morphs which you can purchase at a later date.

Keeping & Breeding Aussie Pythons and The Complete Carpet Python are both great books to have, cazbear.

Keeping & Breeding has a lot of information, especially for a beginner such as yourself, and will help you set up and keep your new pythons properly. The Complete Carpet Python is a relatively new book with a much more in-depth look into carpet pythons as well as carpet python morphs which you can purchase at a later date.

Agreed, them books are great value and have helped me out quite a lot. i still find myself flicking through them so you get your moneys worth

To be honest, I have read the Keeping & Breeding book, but unless I was into breeding and some general basic info on pythons, it doesn't offer much at all.

Maybe it's just my take on it, but yeah.

To be honest, I have read the Keeping & Breeding book, but unless I was into breeding and some general basic info on pythons, it doesn't offer much at all.

Maybe it's just my take on it, but yeah.

Have to disagree with you there... What sort of information were you looking for? Must be specific as both of those books offer great information (especially for beginners) on how to keep and care for carpet pythons which includes; husbandry requirements, cage sizing, feeding tips and so on, as well as breeding information.

I wanted a comprehensive guide to keeping a carpet python. The Keeping & Breeding has very basic info (6 pages) on captive husbandry, eg....a small chapter on each subject like feeding, enclosures, lighting etc. And a few pages on MD species, which tells me where they are found, and what kind of enclosure/heating/lighting they had for their captive one, and the breeding of.

Maybe I want too much in a book? LOL

When I had my Bearded Dragon, I got the bible of Bearded Dragon books and it was fantastic!

It was the Bearded Dragon Manual and was fantastic. LOL

Try.......The complete MD owners ............Specific to this unusual reptile....

Bit of sarcasm mate, the two mentioned books, have everything you need....:)

The two books have got you fully covered... I understand where your coming from on the "comprehensive" thought, but honestly carpet pythons are pretty easy to keep, not much to it. Any specific questions not covered can always be asked on the forum, lots of MD and carpet python keepers on here.

There is new book on keeping Australian pythons out later in the year.

For a basic book keeping carpet pythons by Darren green and Greg Fyfe is good.

The complete carpet is very good as is mike swan Ed keeping and breeding Australian pythons.

Do not forget that valuable resource your breeder for animal specific info generally the good ones are happy to help.

Cheers
scott

1. Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan

2. The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton

those 2 books are all you need, 1 gives some basic info and 2 gives alot more on specifically the carpets, i got both and they are worth the money.

Thanks Umbral, when I was looking first at books, I was tossing up between that one and Keeping & Breeding Python book, should have spent the extra $30. Doh. Oh well, shall stick that one on Ebay or something and grab a copy of the other. Cheers.

TIP:
If you're not sure what to buy yet, borrow a copy from your local library(s) :) (If they don't have it, they can either borrow from another library or buy it new!) :)

Keep renewing till, either you don't need it anymore or you're sure what to buy.

Pythons of Australia by G Torr could be a nice read too (although it doesn't cover enclosures much, I think it's more about behaviour etc. - I can't remember well now, it has been long time...)

TIP2:
Books in Australia are a rip off cause of taxes.

I always buy them from UK (no taxes on books) much cheaper, incl. FREE delivery world wide!

This includes Aussie books (yes, Aussie books are often cheaper abroad) and a huge variety, usually not available in Oz.
The only downside is the 7-10 days wait. (shipping)
Try: bookdepository or abeybooks

TIP3:
From your description, perhaps what you're after is CARE SHEETS, these are often available online and free.
ie: http://sxr.com.au/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm

Although they may not go into the depth you need, but if you put them together...

ie: Snake Ranch, Pilbara Pythons and Pythons1(dot)com(dot)au they have info sheets.

Good luck.

P.S. these are just an idea, they're not necessary the best and I'm not saying you should follow either religiously...
You may still need to Google around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back