Native Wildlife in your backyard.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manda, I want to come and live with you!!!! Love the picture of the frog on the lime, sooooo cute!

Hang on, I did find this little guy out feeding under the light on the front of my house. He's probably been eaten by a cat by now though :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 306491_142458722560090_1459497761_n.jpg
    306491_142458722560090_1459497761_n.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Lots of parrots here... Oh and some feral family moved in across the road.

black & white cockatoo, rosella, rainbow lorikeet, finches, king parrot, owls, all sorts of water foul, hawks, ducks, chooks, the area is a bit of a bird sanctuary really, though not all are native, and the chooks are mine :p

also get rabbits, hares, foxes, possums ring & brush, used to get bandicoots years ago but I think the cats have got them :( had black snakes, one beautiful diamond, green tree frogs, once had a long necked turtle call our pond home for a while, many many skinks, too many kangaroos and wallabies, native mice....
I recently got a digi slr, I will have to learn how to use it before I post up with some of those pics though! hehe

Very nice pics all, :D whats common in one place is realy special in another, there are some realy nice animals out there.

DSCF1962.jpg

DSCF1895.jpg

DSCF2737.jpg

For anyone in my area, my daughter is at greensborough primary, and earlier this year they had a visit from a wild roo!

I live in a fairly suburban area. There is a mob of roos that lives a few k's from here, but to get to my daughters school this roo would have needed to get past a main road and a train line. Her school has high fences all the way around, and is on the corner of two other main roads, opposite a big shopping centre. Really not a place you expect to see a kangaroo!

The kids were stuck inside for about 3 hours while the rescue people came to collect it.

Other than that we have standard suburban stuff. Brushtails and ringtails, cockies, galahs, the occasional blue tongue and snake. I have a beautiful flowering gum out the front that is full of rainbow and musk lorikeets. If I didn't love them so much the noise would drive me insane! There is also an owl that lives near here, but I don't know what type. Makes a racket, though. Oh, and lots of bats. I think they are native?

We get a few foxes here too, unfortunately. I went for a walk the other night, and heard the tap, tap, tap of what I though was a dog, and was dreading having to deal with being followed by someone's escaped pooch at 1am... Only to see a fox wandering up the street.

I cannot believe my eyes...
You're all so fortunate.

I'd be lucky if I get a noisy crow let along a single Reptil!!!

And I'd kill for a green tree frog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
in summer you can all come herping. I would type up a list of what we have seen but it would be sooo long. This is the best place I have lived ever. Blind snakes, legless lizards of many species but I cried when I saw my first bandi bandi, it slithered passed my foot. I didn't want to touch it it was so tiny, the length of my size 7 foot!
Last weekend was spectacular tho and if anyone knows someone who studies echidna behaviour I'd love to know their thoughts cause at one time there were at least 5 adult echidna in the back yard. The folks got pics of 2 (had to go back for camera) but they wondered what all the noise was!

Not true Zulu, we pick up all sorts of native wildlife in Mt Druitt, probably one of the most diverse habitats in Australia.

True but not in my backyard Peter

Last weekend was spectacular tho and if anyone knows someone who studies echidna behaviour I'd love to know their thoughts cause at one time there were at least 5 adult echidna in the back yard. The folks got pics of 2 (had to go back for camera) but they wondered what all the noise was!

Could it have been a breeding train of echidna?

Often times during the breeding season (June to September) a female is pursued by numerous males in a train like procession.

Last I heard a few years ago not much is actually known about their breeding habits other then from little 'ejac' at CWS

Manda1032 you have some nice animals out there, i used to go there once a year for the dart comp. it's a nice town, here's a pic i took of a Bandi Bandi in my back yard i have a bush across the road, some times in the early morning we get kangaroos on the front lawn never taken any photos of them though.
DSCF1578.jpg

One of a carpet trying to get the sun in my mini beach garden i made.
DSCF2358-1.jpg

I dont have any pics but I get frequent visitors through - 2 RBB's and 1 Diamond that comes through, 2 eastern beardies, however havnt seen the older one for a while :(
Many birds, one of my favourites - Red Tailed Black Cockatoo's, Whip Birds and the Willie Wagtail
Many insects, orb weaver spiders, huntsman and the occasional centipede.
Kangaroos, Koala, Echidna, pheasants, smaller mammals/marsupials like a numbat looking thing, possums, etc.

Wait till there all there at once Blackhead then enclose it all you'll have a zoo lol, verry lucky.:D

Wait till there all there at once Blackhead then enclose it all you'll have a zoo lol, verry lucky.:D

Ha ha true, Dont particularly want to see the blood shed, we had a sea eagle this morning, was a rare treat :D

The first 2 pics are from today, not sure if they work or not, ill have to get some more when the weather is actually nice.

View attachment 262236View attachment 262239View attachment 262240
View attachment 262241View attachment 262242

is that last pic a baby wolfspider? cause thats what it looks like.

Looks like a wolfy to me, Very nice pattern coming through, I love wolf spiders because they vary so much but always have the same cute face :p

Ha ha true, Dont particularly want to see the blood shed, we had a sea eagle this morning, was a rare treat :D

Looks like a wolfy to me, Very nice pattern coming through, I love wolf spiders because they vary so much but always have the same cute face :p

yeh looks almost the same as the adult wolfspider on the left, haha first time ive ever heard someone say a spider has a cute face but i do agree, they are pretty.

Took a couple more pics today, im slowly getting pics of all the animals that get in my backyard. (theres way more, they just dont wanna show up when ive got the camera out lol). Ive never seen a crested pigeon so light in colour before like this one.

DSCF1496.jpgDSCF1484.jpg

oh and Robynne, the photo's didnt work, they should work if u go advance :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back