Is this an extreme way to 'calm' a snake???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
JKR Pro Tips - Aggressive Hatchlings - YouTube

It about 2:35 when he shows his 'technique', and yes its a Ball Python, but would this work on a Coastal Carpet Python?

My young fella is nippy, and not the 'fake strike' nippy or 'runs around looking aggressive', more the 'draw blood' and 'attack you through the platic container even though i know i cant get you' nippy.

I am not stressed about getting tagged by him, and once i have him in my hands his is alot better, i am concerned that letting him tag me as i pick him up could either hurt his teeth, or cause undue stress.

He is about 6 or 7 months old so he still has alot of calming down to do. My question here is - would this 'technique' be good to snap him out of aggression? Or would it do more harm than good?

Obviously being careful to not be too rough when doing this.

Oh, and i think this is where the 'put your hand up to tell it too stop' thread was going, unless i read it wrong

If this is universally decided to be a 'very bad thing to do' i will delete the YouTube link.
I just wanted to bounce this of some more experienced people than myself (which isnt hard)

I'm not sure I like it, all you are embedding into your snakes brain is that it needs to be scared of you resulting in either a timid snake or a defencive snake. I would rather do the hard yards, gently pick them up with my hand and possibly get bitten a few times. The end result though will usually e a snake that doesnt feel that you are a threat and will tollerate you.

I don't think it would because coastals are much more active then ball pythons and are far less likely to become flighty after touching their head and stressing them out. I know if I tried to do that on any of my aggressive carpet pythons I'd get bitten.

I can see how it can work on ball pythons because curling up in a "ball" and be submissive is a defense mechanism once striking fails but for a carpet python it's strike, strike, musk, slither away.
Id say Umbral hit the nail on the head.

How would yo roll the carpet inot a ball like a ball python....they dont do that...they area different snake

Well i would have to say that the technique is not so new. I have used a simillar technique to calm all of my Coastal Carpet hatchings prior to sale over the last 4 to 5 years. It does work a treat.
I am probably not so as agressive with the handling as shown on the video with the ball pythons, but for a start a snake cannot bite a flat surface like a flat hand, especially a small snake. Now the dominant thing i reckon has all to do with the snakes natural instinct. If the snake is threatened & feels unsafe it will strike as a warning at whatever moves, it really does not care, it is just a threat. but when the snake realises that it is not a threat then it acts just normal & most young snakes have the fear of being prey to everything.
So without any evidence at all apart from selling placid snakes i cannot say for sure. I tamed a Scrubbie if you look on a recent thread & that is no lame feat.

cheers
ian

After watching the video I can kinda see where this dude is coming from, only problem.......I'm pretty sure if I tried that with my scrub hatchies I would come out second best, I prefer the gloves, snake hook and constant handling technique. Although in saying this I do take my newbies out and expose them to certain "everyday" things I may do such as opening blinds, changing channels with the remote etc etc while I have them with me purely to expose them to what might happen when I have them out of their enclosures as adults.

After watching the video I can kinda see where this dude is coming from, only problem.......I'm pretty sure if I tried that with my scrub hatchies I would come out second best, I prefer the gloves, snake hook and constant handling technique. Although in saying this I do take my newbies out and expose them to certain "everyday" things I may do such as opening blinds, changing channels with the remote etc etc while I have them with me purely to expose them to what might happen when I have them out of their enclosures as adults.

Mate you try it with your Scrubbie hatchies, it would be interesting. I am telling you that some of that **** works.
Cheers
Ian

I am no expert or even close to any expert, stll a beginner but personally I think thats horrible, actually shifting the poor snake around so you dont get bitten? My 3 snakes are really quiet however my friends snake is cage defensive (because she never gets him out) anyway, I can handle him easy, she is too nervous and I showed her how to handle him without problems, i.e a hook and she was really confident, honestly I dont believe in those either (except when elapids are involved or extremely bitey snakes, like scrubbies, nah just joking I love scrubbies :p) anyway, I just think that looks horrible. Just my in put though.

I dont know how well it would work with coastal carpets, ball pythons are really short and fat, coastals are long and wriggly. Pretty sure they would be alot harder to roll into a ball when they are trying to go in all different directions. I'm pretty sure mine would still bite me, probably poop all over me and slither off if I tried it on her

I would say that it is an effective way. I've used a similar technique before and I've seen experienced breeders recommend something similar. Yes, it does stress the snake a bit, but as the snake gets use to it quickly the stress drops, as opposed to having a snappy, defensive snake that isn't stressed as intensely, but is nevertheless stressed over a far longer period.

My experience with this sort of technique relates to a small injury one of my snakes had under the chin. She hated her head and neck being touched and would try to kill anything that touched them, she was also a temperamental handler anyway. After a week or so of having her head grabbed/restrained while I applied antibiotics etc. to the wound, she was pretty much a puppy dog. They soon learn that you aren't a threat.

I'm not sure I like it, all you are embedding into your snakes brain is that it needs to be scared of you resulting in either a timid snake or a defencive snake. I would rather do the hard yards, gently pick them up with my hand and possibly get bitten a few times. The end result though will usually e a snake that doesnt feel that you are a threat and will tollerate you.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can see how it can work on ball pythons because curling up in a "ball" and be submissive is a defense mechanism once striking fails but for a carpet python it's strike, strike, musk, slither away.
Id say Umbral hit the nail on the head.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone who replied :)
It looked like a very aggressive way to 'break' the attitude of aggression. And if it was a dog, for example, i would say this is a very bad idea, however it is a snake and my experience with the intelligence level of snakes is very limited.
I am not trying to anthropomorphize my snake, i don’t believe they have the emotional level to 'hold a grudge' for this type of handling.
If, while being handled, he becomes aggressive, if i calm him down and continue to handle him, then wouldn’t that teach him i am safe?
At all times remembering here that it’s a Coastal Carpet Python and will most likely calm down by himself with regular handling in a couple months anyway.

Valium generally works well lol. Handling a stressed & defensive snake only increases the stress which doesn't help either you or the snake. Trying to force anything to calm down through fear never works with anything in life, snakes included.

Most carpet pythons generally calm down/accept handling once the get some size on them, the ones that don't you just get handled the minimal amout of time eg cleaning & general health checks.

Last edited:
i had a real snappy darwin and i know its looked apon like a pussy but i used some thick fitting garden gloves until she calmed down.. otherwise i pullaway out of instinct and i didnt wanna hurt her little mouth.. now she is quite calm.. still spooks and snaps out but i can handle a bite here and there but i dont like getting tagged like a maschine gun even if she is only small. anyone else do this at all?

I take my timewith mine, i found that not forcing them on you works well. just get them outwith a branch thats been in there cage and let them take there time to get usedto you. Whats the Rush! be patient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back