Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares, just buy one & tame it down.
What a great challenge. But buy a little one. LOL.

Cheers
Ian

Hey guys, just glancing over posts re- scrub pythons, my latest scrub is a beautiful little female called Buffy,she has calmed down from being an aggressive biatch to quite tame 99 percent of the time, but there is always that chance that no matter how "tame" I think she is she still has her wild defensive instincts. Motto of the story...... Even the best behaved student can turn out to be a bad nut.

Hey guys, just glancing over posts re- scrub pythons, my latest scrub is a beautiful little female called Buffy,she has calmed down from being an aggressive biatch to quite tame 99 percent of the time, but there is always that chance that no matter how "tame" I think she is she still has her wild defensive instincts. Motto of the story...... Even the best behaved student can turn out to be a bad nut.

So True.

Damn it disintegratus! I just read through 7 pages of scrub python behavioural descriptions, advice, photo's, war stories and of course fights. By the time I got to about page 3 and after reading Jamie's early descriptions I had decided I wanted one and that once I make it to the end of the thread I'll announce it for all the world to read (or at least, those in the world who bother to read this thread). So I finally make it to the end of page 7 only to find that you have stolen my line.....

Where are we buying from?

Hehehe... I do my best;)

I can't have one yet:( I literally don't have the room to house a snake that big. I just got a loft bed so I can get an Olive python:D, but I don't think there'll be enough room under it for both.
If I get an adult, I could probably empty out the garage and use that as it's enclosure, but the dogs have figured out how to open the roller door...

I'm kind of attached to the dogs, so I think I'll wait for a little while yet:)

Who cares, just buy one & tame it down.
What a great challenge. But buy a little one. LOL.

Cheers
Ian

20120701_154340 - Copy2.jpg

This is true for new Scrubbie owners and another thing which most of us should practice and i'm a big culprit of doing it with my bigger snakes is "Keep them off your neck" and try and get someone to give you a hand or atleast be close by if things take a wrong turn for you .By the time alot of new Scrubbie owners have snakes this size and bigger they should be well aware of the dangers but as in my case and quoting words from the famous Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does "

I agree, a quick confident approach with purposeful actions is the best way to interact with Scrubs.
Being flighty and finicky is only going to get their defences up. I believe they are incredibly smart snake (You can tell, they look at you differently than other snakes) with good eye sight. Jerky movements as you fluff around is not going to end well.

I'd just like to adjust what Joemal said in his photo string: great day, great day, good day, great day, good day, good day. A bad day with a Scrubby is not just going to be just blood. As already stated, their teeth as so long, a bad bite could include tearing of nerves, ligaments or tendons etc. Pretty easy to do under your wrist.

They are my favourite python for sure, but I hope this thread isn't going to glorify Scrub Pythons for inexperienced keepers. Sure, copping a hundred bite from a grumpy 3 footer is easy, but it can go real bad real quick with a larger specimen.
I go in confident, but sometimes I just walk away, not today.

This was one of those days and two hands up wasn't helping anything.
f1f57bae.jpg

How big are those scrubbies, Chewy? They look like they've planned something together.

Chewy, thank you very much for the comments and advice! Confidence by far seems like the best way to deal with these snakes. It's a bit tricky though: on one hand I'm scared of such a nasty bite so I'll be nervous, but on the other hand my nervousness is more likely to induce a bite. I guess I've just gotta suck it up and get in there! A mate of mine (an experienced keeper with two small scrubs) recently handled the scrubbie I'm about to take in and was told he was fine on two occasions, and puffing, hissing and striking on the third. They really do seem unpredictable. This is going to be a lot different to handling my slightly nervous, snappy jungle =S

Oh, almost forgot. Chewy, you're scrubs are gorgeous!! Although Renenet is right, they do look like they're up to something. You can tell they're smart snakes, I'm looking forward to having a scrub in the house =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back