Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snakes and getting bitten is all part of the wonderful reptile experience. Every-time ive been bitten, either by much 3.5 meter Scrubby or Jungle hatchling. I've learnt from it... I don't get bitten by anything anymore. iv learnt to read my animals and you will learn to read yours too Benjiboy. The only time a snake is going to to bite or strike is either out of fear/ agitation or hunger...

just feed your snake more and when hes full he wont think your food and try and bite you. if your getting hunger bites the answer is nipping you on the bumm. Why dont people feed there snake enough

I just feed them in their enclosure so I can leave them for a day or two before handling them again and pasta your hands to remove scent

I know that 'EricRS' on the forum makes wicked snake hooks for your bitey pythons if your interested. Might be a wise investment if bites concern you!!!!

hey all, i went to pick up my childrens python that is around 7 months old after feeding him because i feed him in a separate container and he struck at me and gave me a little nip, i pulled my hand away quickly so he didn't grab hold of me. then he striked at the container again. he has never show any signs of aggression before. i really worried that he will keep biting me! will he ?????

thanks sam :(

Just as an aside, next time your snake lunges at you try not to flinch and pull your hand away - while a bite (especially from a childreni) really won't do you any harm, if you're too slow and don't yank your hand away until your snake has already gotten hold you can do it some pretty serious damage ripping teeth out etc.

getting bitten by pythons as antaresia species is like playing with a kitten that uses its claws, not really anything to be afraid of :) pulling your hand back is a natural reaction, but it can cause more damage to both you and the snake, so best thing is as said just let it bite and take it as an experience and learn from it, hooks are a great tool to avoid getting bitten, but i still think that a snake owner shouldnt be scared of being bitten, because it will happend one day :)

Sorry i am only a 14 year old boy, its my first snake. No need to rip into me.

Just kidding mate. It does take a while to get over the fear of being bitten. Your snake only struck at you because he was in feeding mode. No need to worry

for a young lad it can be quite disconcerting to take a bite from your beloved pet. dont warry about it bud he just mistook you for dinner ;)

Sorry i am only a 14 year old boy, its my first snake. No need to rip into me.

No one was ripping into you, it was more directed at the others who were encouraging you to handle an animal that had just eaten. This should never be done, or at the very least kept to an absolute minimum.

i do it because i keep my womas on a loose sub straight and i want to avoid compaction best i can , both my snakes that i do this with are fine being moved after a feed , i just make sure that i have given them plenty of time to get it down before i shift them and make sure its a swift but gentle move as i don't want to muck around to much

Everyone has a method that works for them, although I can't say I agree with handling a just-fed animal. Do you handle your dog or cat when it has a belly full of food ? I offer my food on (takeaway food container) lids, and also pat it dry to minimise the risk of substrate sticking to it. For the most part, this works a treat.

Last edited:
It seemed like it to me. But anyway i have heard that it redueces the chance of being bitten each timee you get your snake out becaus it doesnt think each timee you open the tank its feeding time.

It seemed like it to me. But anyway i have heard that it redueces the chance of being bitten each timee you get your snake out becaus it doesnt think each timee you open the tank its feeding time.

People who say that are crediting their pythons with more intelligence than they should.

Well thats what i heard.

You need to keep handling your CHILDRENS python but only under strict guidelines. Firstly, never handle your CHILDRENS python alone. Make sure you always have a qualified first aid officer ready who has access to a phone. If your CHILDRENS python does bite you, apply pressure to the wound and call for immediate assistance. Keep the wound elevated and above all, try to remain conscious.
just thought i would let you know that they are called childrens python due to the discoverer, so yeah.

Last edited:
Feeding outside the enclosure doesn't help mate :) Seems someone said it at some point and newbies like yourself pass it around because you don't know any better (and nothing wrong with that, everyone starts somewhere). Feel free to feed wherever you want, just invest in a hook if your snakes looks cranky so you can pick him up without him having a snap.

But you're not feeding it every time you open the enclosure, with regular handling, it'll only be getting a feed every 5 or 6 times you open the enclosure. The key IMO is to get the snake into a routine, I for instance only feed at night and therefore try to minimise handling at that time of day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back