my beardie and he's enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sand is a great substrate for beardies, I use washed and screened playsand from Bunnings for both mine and have done successfully for their entire life. I do however, have natural sandstone tiles under about two - three inches of sand so when they dig, they are also keeping their claws under control. It does not stink if you remove the poos daily.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great job on the enclosure, it looks fantastic!

However, dragons in the wild do not live on anything approaching what we'd consider a 'hard floor'. Some kind of substrate is definitely a good idea, regardless of whether you go with sand or something like coir peat.

Hi There, I have a beautiful Central Bearded Dragon coming up 3 years, and I use Kritters Crumbles (fine) for her substrate, I put it in nice and thick for her to dig in! I don't like sand either due to impaction worries. Hope that helps...:)

Thanks guy and i only ised tile because when i was building thats what people told me now that ive built it everything is different :( but ill probably go half sand half tile or somthing

Thanks guy and i only ised tile because when i was building thats what people told me now that ive built it everything is different :( but ill probably go half sand half tile or somthing

Hey, don't stress too much about the substrate, your enclosure looks fantastic! We are all here to help, and give you advise, then it's up to you with what you decide to do with your enclosure. I have used sand many times as substrate, it has certainly gotten me out of trouble. It's a very personal thing!

They do benefit from having a substrate to dig in, it provides both physical and mental stimulation, keeps their nails trimmed and allows them to satisfy their natural digging instincts and bury themselves if they want to. As long as you keep it clean, sifted and washed playsand is fine. When i used sand i tried to change the entire load in the tank once a month so that i could take it all out and clean everything inside but that is a rule for any substrate; nomatter how often you spot clean you have to give it a thorough clean routinely. I liked using a mix of sand and bark chips/leaves, gave them lots of different textures to crawl through. These days i use rice husks and wood chips with varnished wood furniture instead, but that's just my personal preference :) He's a cute little guy, good luck with him!

Here's a great guide for figuring out what foods are good for your dragon and what should be avoided, i hope it helps!

Untitled Document

Hey, don't stress too much about the substrate, your enclosure looks fantastic! We are all here to help, and give you advise, then it's up to you with what you decide to do with your enclosure. I have used sand many times as substrate, it has certainly gotten me out of trouble. It's a very personal thing!
thanks its very hard not to stress :p i almost had a heart attack knowing the coil bulb is bad lol

They do benefit from having a substrate to dig in, it provides both physical and mental stimulation, keeps their nails trimmed and allows them to satisfy their natural digging instincts and bury themselves if they want to. As long as you keep it clean, sifted and washed playsand is fine. When i used sand i tried to change the entire load in the tank once a month so that i could take it all out and clean everything inside but that is a rule for any substrate; nomatter how often you spot clean you have to give it a thorough clean routinely. I liked using a mix of sand and bark chips/leaves, gave them lots of different textures to crawl through. These days i use rice husks and wood chips with varnished wood furniture instead, but that's just my personal preference :) He's a cute little guy, good luck with him!

Here's a great guide for figuring out what foods are good for your dragon and what should be avoided, i hope it helps!

Untitled Document
Thanks heaps :) the food list is great :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back