Native Wildlife in your backyard.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we live on the top floor of an apartment block in the main street of Darwin. So most of our wildlife is drunken Irish backpackers.

But we have a big balcony overlooking a remnant of Darwin forest so we get plenty of visitors. A huge Cuban Royal Palm reaches the top of the building and is a convenient roost. And 2 foot flower spikes bring in all sorts.

1. Collared Sparrowhawk 2. wee mantid. 3.Steg lives here but the hopper is a visitor. 4. This dusky honeyeater admires/ fights with itself every morning & evening. 5. Micro and Macro bats are regulars.
6. Imperial Pidgeon 7. Cocky announces himself and happily accepts a piece of bread. 8. White gaped Honeteater, these ****ty mob try to attack the snakes and come up to the glass to flap and screech.
DSC_0339_edited-1.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0016_edited-1.jpgDSC_0057_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0065_edited-1.jpgDSC_0040.jpgDSC_0140.jpgDSC_0080_edited-1.jpg

One day I'll leave the door open. Things could get interesting :D

DSC_0082_edited-1.jpg

Even though we are in the middle of town there is plenty to see. We counted 250+ bird species in the Gully below us and facing east/west we get the sunrise and the sunset.

DSC_0202.jpgDSC_0203.jpgDSC_0208.jpgDSC_0169_edited-1.jpg

I've posted some of these before but it is my backyard!

My Place

My neighbours!

Attachments

• EWD_3.jpg
    EWD_3.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 71
  • JUV_EWD_2.jpg
    JUV_EWD_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_5957.jpg
    100_5957.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 61
  • IMGP1897.jpg
    IMGP1897.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 68
  • YFWS_2.jpg
    YFWS_2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 78
iv had a few blueys and ( from memory) a water dragon in the yard/house but thats about it. my dogs have scared everything interesting away :/ theres a whole heap of roos up the road at the local uni but their not very sociable haha. i was recently informed however that there are some rather nice RBB's in my area...i highly doubt ill go looking for them haha

apart from the mongrel mynas,starlings and feral cats,we also get a few masked lapwings,eastern rosellas,currawongs & magpies but my favourites are the satin bower bird and willy wagtail,sorry no pics

yeh looks almost the same as the adult wolfspider on the left, haha first time ive ever heard someone say a spider has a cute face but i do agree, they are pretty.

Took a couple more pics today, im slowly getting pics of all the animals that get in my backyard. (theres way more, they just dont wanna show up when ive got the camera out lol). Ive never seen a crested pigeon so light in colour before like this one.

View attachment 262322View attachment 262323

oh and Robynne, the photo's didnt work, they should work if u go advance :)

Ha ha yeah, Im weird like that, got to love the Spideys :D

Also love the pic of the pigeon and myna :)

apart from the mongrel mynas,starlings and feral cats,we also get a few masked lapwings,eastern rosellas,currawongs & magpies but my favourites are the satin bower bird and willy wagtail,sorry no pics

Birds are my absolute favourite animals in the world, but masked lapwings can just go die (or live somewhere not within a 20km radius of my home).... along with guinea fowl...

lol :)

thanks blackheaded92
shell477 lol i like ur choice of words, and i totally agree with u, there swooping is insane :)

A visitor that came and ate my kids rabbit

This nice looking snake came and ate my kids rabbit and scared one guinea pig to death and left the other curled up in the corner shaking.

Attachments

• 8325_1251231366134_4372093_n.jpg
    8325_1251231366134_4372093_n.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 139
you sure it didn't kill the pig too? thats a nasty suprise. I know I have a carpet problem here so everything possible is covered in mouse wire

you sure it didn't kill the pig too? thats a nasty suprise. I know I have a carpet problem here so everything possible is covered in mouse wire

Quite possible but my reasoning was if it killed it why not eat it and pigs can easily die from fright but like I said it is possible. I was glad that I was the one to find it and not my kids.

...if it killed it why not eat it...

She's either too full or pig was to big?
(Most likely, didn't kill pig at all?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This one not in my back yard, but a frends that was saved from a cat, very nice Yellow-Faced Whip Snake.
DSCF2971.jpg

DSCF2967.jpg

It got a couple of scratches but it's ok. :)

This one not in my back yard, but a frends that was saved from a cat, very nice Yellow-Faced Whip Snake.
DSCF2971.jpg

DSCF2967.jpg

It got a couple of scratches but it's ok. :)

My dad gets a lot of these snakes at his house.

Got atleast 1 resident Lesser Black Whip Snake that i see every couple of weeks or so, plus a few smaller and bigger ones I've ran into at home, carpets, heaps of frogs,

Just a few of many photos of whats come through in the last few months..lots of lorikeets hang around our house aswell.

Whip Snake 3 (4).jpgLBWS11.jpgCoastalcarpet 001.jpgWolf Spider.jpgtest 015.jpgRoths Tree Frog(1b)(Litoria rothi).jpgGreen Tree Frogs (2).jpgGreen Tree Frogs.jpgCoastal Carpet Python Hatchling.jpgCamping and snake 030.jpgBrown Tree Snakee (1).jpgFinds 003.jpg

Last edited:
ooops!!! did it wrong - again :oops:

- - - Updated - - -

well worth the wait MrsDragonLady - stunning photos!

Thanks Nighthawk - it amazes me when I find so much wildlife in my backyard that until recently I didn't realise was even there...
Love these digital cameras - they allow me to click off as many photos of whatever takes my fancy :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nighthawk - it amazes me when I find so much wildlife in my backyard that until recently I didn't realise was even there...
Love these digital cameras - they allow me to click off as many photos of whatever takes my fancy :)

- - - Updated - - -

Reptiles, some of them, seen in our backyard...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Okay - I am doing something WRONG and my replies, comments and photos keep coming up in the same comment box and even repeat themselves ? :( ? :shock: ? :cry: ?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Okay - I am doing something WRONG and my replies, comments and photos keep coming up in the same comment box and even repeat themselves ? :( ? :shock: ? :cry: ?

- - - Updated - - -

some of the frogs I have seen here...

Attachments

• Coastal Carpet Python 2.jpg
    Coastal Carpet Python 2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Coastal Carpet Python 1.jpg
    Coastal Carpet Python 1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Bearded Dragon.jpg
    Bearded Dragon.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Eastern Long-neck turtle..jpg
    Eastern Long-neck turtle..jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Yellow Faced Whip Snake 2.jpg
    Yellow Faced Whip Snake 2.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Yellow Faced Whip Snake 1.jpg
    Yellow Faced Whip Snake 1.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 159
  • Gecko.jpg
    Gecko.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Green Tree Snake.jpg
    Green Tree Snake.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog (brown form) 1.jpg
    Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog (brown form) 1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Green Tree Frog 2.jpg
    Green Tree Frog 2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog (brown form) 2.jpg
    Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog (brown form) 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Dainty green tree frog.jpg
    Dainty green tree frog.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Green Tree Frog 1.jpg
    Green Tree Frog 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog.jpg
    Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Dainty green tree frog (Litoria gracilenta).jpg
    Dainty green tree frog (Litoria gracilenta).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Fantastic photography!

What I notice is often taken for granted is that some of the more frequent backyard visitors although easy to see can be just as challenging to photograph nicely as the less frequent guests.
I often find myself grumbling that they have moved and blurred the photo or run off before the camera had a chance to focus. I suppose the challenge makes it more fun :p .
So anybody that's shown photos that don't look as dodgy as shot of Bigfoot should give themselves a pat on the back. Thanks for sharing :D.

I think it's awesome people have taken the time to notice almost every type of backyard wildlife imaginable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back