Wrinkly and refusing to eat!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_bec

Reaction score
Ok so brought an albino python 6mnth old just over a month ago. Got the snake and he wouldn't eat for 2.5 weeks-tried everything!
Took to vet in currumbin who had for 2 weeks and said had to force feed the first time but 2nd and 3rd time ate pretty keen (this was just under 2 weeks ago) tried to feed 1 week after and he refused and just attacked the mouse? Still won't eat so no idea what to do?!
Sexondly whilst at the vet they said he had a bad broken up shed so they cleaned him up etc and helped him shed yet tonight we have noticed he has loose looking skin and is all leathery and wrinkled?! Help what's this mean?! :( I'm scared he's dying

Have you tried smaller mice but leaving them there for it to eat when ITS ready, they can go months without food especially over winter

Check your temps , raise your humidity all the normal stuff.
Maybe try scenting mice with bird feathers .

How long did you leave the snake with the mouse after it attacked it?
and also the loose skin I think is signs of dehydration i would take it back to the vet or maybe another vet for a second opinion.
good luck with it all.

what is your setup like ? temperature, handling... etc ?
since it is accepting mice without scenting, do not scent with anything else, that's a step backwards and undoing the breeders hard work.

lets see, snake stop eating after you got it, but the vet was able to get it feeding 3 times then after returning the snake to you it stop eating again ? it's not in shed because it just recently had a bad shed ?

Last edited:
What is the size of the enclosure like i heard they can stop eating if you have them in something oo large and they dont feel secure.

Did I read that right..? that the vet resulted to force feeding after two weeks..?

First off, calm down.
Your snake will be alright, he is not dying, it's ridiculous to even think that.

It's winter, and many snakes will start to lose their appetites.
Leave the snake alone for a few weeks, let him settle.

Offer a small food item occasionally (every month or so afterwards). He'll eat when he's ready to.

Wrinkled skin whilst in shed is caused by an enclosure that is too dry, so give his enclosure a light misting.

Yeah you need to just stop and relax:) it’s hard to expect a new snake to eat in its first 2 weeks. it's stressed and offering it food everyday is Evan more stress full if it wont take food don’t feed it the next day, leave it along with no handling 4 days + try leaving mouse in its enclosure over night with a towel over the tank. And yeah a big enclosure can make it harder for them to settle in. as for the skin, as the vet said itsounds like a bad shed post some pictures so we can get an idea. Good luck buddy

Last edited:
Hey all,

Ok so firstly on the wrinkled skin situation; worked out it is a bad shed he has shed off his head but his body is still loose and on there and it hasnt come off his tail yet. -however the only thing that concerns me as the vet recons he shed whilst in their care 2 weeks ago? so he shouldnt be shedding again now if the vet was telling the truth.

we showed pictures of enclosures etc to vet and all got ok. its a small melamine enclosure. has hot and cold end. hot end sits at 36 degrees and cold end around 24 degrees. We have been spraying his pen 2x a day as per recomendation on other forums and it seems to have helped his shed slightly due to humidity.

We tried leaving the mouse in there overnight with the cage covered but still no luck. we last tried feeding him 5 days ago but havent tried since, was thinking to hold off until end of weekend to retry?

is he drinking still? as long as he it hydrated there shouldnt been and real cause of alarm it might also be the reason why his skin looks wrinkly and leathery

Hey all,

Ok so firstly on the wrinkled skin situation; worked out it is a bad shed he has shed off his head but his body is still loose and on there and it hasnt come off his tail yet. -however the only thing that concerns me as the vet recons he shed whilst in their care 2 weeks ago? so he shouldnt be shedding again now if the vet was telling the truth.

we showed pictures of enclosures etc to vet and all got ok. its a small melamine enclosure. has hot and cold end. hot end sits at 36 degrees and cold end around 24 degrees. We have been spraying his pen 2x a day as per recomendation on other forums and it seems to have helped his shed slightly due to humidity.

We tried leaving the mouse in there overnight with the cage covered but still no luck. we last tried feeding him 5 days ago but havent tried since, was thinking to hold off until end of weekend to retry?
Like others have stated calm down. Snakes can go monthes without food with little effect. I wouldent ever leeve a live mouse overnight with any of my snakes. It can and will stress them out. I would leeve it in the enclosure for an hour max. If it doesn't eat try the next day or the day after. As far as the stuck shed on the tail, you have to get it off ASAP. It can cut off the circulation and end up loseing the tail where the stuck shed is. I'd strongly suggest you soak it in a bin with Luke worm wator for atleast a half hour. Not only to help rehydrate your snake and to assist getting the stuck shed off. Good luck

Also how does its eyes look? Are they sunken in? Are there any stuck eye caps?

A young snake of that age can shed twice in two weeks especially if the vet had fed it 3 times in two weeks.
Verry true. My ball python shed once a week for three weeks in a row before.

Shedding every week? I dont understand how that is possible? unless you are pump feeding it and it is growing unnaturally fast. Even then it still doesnt sound right. I wouldnt mind getting more information from people on this.

...I wouldent ever leeve a live mouse overnight...

I don't think the op ever mentioned live mouse...

Unlike in USA, it's illegal to live feed in Australia. (unless extreme circumstance):)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unlike in USA, it's illegal to live feed in Australia. (unless extreme circumstance):)

no its not , if you really really want to you can feed live any time , its only a recommendation there is no law on it , even on the rspca site , it states it is not enforceable by law

and please note , dont think that by my above post i somehow condone live feeding , i just know that its not illegal , i feed frozen rodents myself

heres a quick link , sorry if its forbidden supermods :)
Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

notice the very last sentence , its not illegal

Last edited:
Shedding every week? I dont understand how that is possible? unless you are pump feeding it and it is growing unnaturally fast. Even then it still doesnt sound right. I wouldnt mind getting more information from people on this.

It was a hatchling ball python. I never power feed my snakes. The one that sheded 3 times in 3 weeks was fead every 5 days. and its not uncomen for that to happon.

This is why i shouldend post replys drunk. I think thats a great policy. I only feed f/t.

Last edited:
If they have a bad shed they can have another days later , especially with retained eye caps . I have one that shed every week or two for almost a year [ its fine now ] . As said , they can go for many months without eating , 7 or 8 is not unusual , I have heard of one that went 18 mnths then just started again . Don't panic , its early days yet , it will be fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back