How fast can a python travel?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper_x49

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey just curious, i will be getting my new diamond tomorrow and i just want to know if i was to let it roam the backyard, how fast would it be able to travel? i dont want my snake slithering away from me haha

all depends mate some move around alot quicker , my coastal moves like crazy bit i think its more because he doesnt like being out and about , where as my womas cruse around alot slower and take in more of their surroundings before moving forward , so it really depends on what the individual is like but you should always stay close by when you take them outside and always keep an eye on them and you should be fine just dont let them out of your sight

yeh theres no way it would be out of my sight, i was just curios it would be able to outrun me, im thinking of setting up some sort of pen in the garden, maybe around a small tree and some shrubs, fairly large area, take her out during the day a few times a week

They always seem to travel really slowly until you take your eyes off them and then they drop the clutch and are out of there!

I think that provided you don't let them out on a decent patch of grass and you stay neare by it should be fine. I think most people move fast enough to catch a python in the open.

unless you have some sort of disability that stops you from moving at a reasonable pace with decent reaction times id say you should be fine , provided you stay within a few meters and keep your eye on them , there no sprinter but can be hard to untangle from trees so id avoid that

I've found with my diamonds they are a lot slower the my other snakes. Also I've found the bigger the snake the slow they tended to move. Not saying they can't move fast they just don't as often.

Because of the local birds in my area,magpies,kookaburras,butcherbirds,etc, I am never more than half a metre from them,all are use to me walking around and over them.Also think they are happy to just cruise around and don't move to far from me anyway because I am their protector.Two of them actually follow me if I move away from them too much.

I ask the same questions when I drop one of my elapids into the backyard :lol:

Hahaha do you often drop venomous snakes? Like do you go to Safeway and woops slip on some milk and drop a snake out your pocket?
"sorry guys..that's mine."

A lot also depends on the size of the snake. Like most others have said larger pythons are not sprinters & less likely to be attacked from above. BUT small pythons should never be out of your sight as it can take only seconds for an unsuspeted butcher bird or the like to snap them up for breky. A good rule to stick by is if outside so are you with them & the smaller the python the closer the gap should be.
Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back