Is my enclosure ok?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procreate

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have read plenty of threads on this forum saying that using a 7ltr sistema tub will be fine for small snakes. I have a baby spotted python in a tub with a heatcord covering roughly a 3rd of the tub covered by aluminium tape and newspaper on top, the thermostat is set to 32degrees which is what i was told by the breeder, the water bowl is down the Cool end of course. There are plenty of holes in the tub for air. When i checked the tub before i noticed the lid is fogging up above the water bowl. Is this bad?

i may be wrong but i always have the heat cord or mats under the tubs covering 1/3 not inside. i find them much happier if they have 1 warm patch to get the body temp up and then the rest room temp so they can move around to find the perfect temp for them

Mate tape in the enclosure is an accident waiting to happen, tape the heat cord to the bottom of the tub, the spread of heat will be better as well. The fogging is fine dont worry about it. 71 litre tub is way too big for a baby spotted, a 7 litre would be better save the 71 litre until its adult size.

Ahh yup just realised after reading again it is a 7 litre tub;)

Last edited:
I found that putting more holes in the tub helped reduce the condensation if it is excessive but a little bit I have found is ok and may help come shedding time.

Had the same problem as things started to warm up a bit. Just put some more holes in the lid above the water bowl, problem sorted. I would run the heat cord/mat under the tub as suggested above for a more even heat distribution.

Had the same problem as things started to warm up a bit. Just put some more holes in the lid above the water bowl, problem sorted. I would run the heat cord/mat under the tub as suggested above for a more even heat distribution.

Or put a tile over it

i just made up some small tubs for my 3 new jungles a few weeks ago while i build the proper enclosures but ive used the same setup since my first snake almost a year back and they all seem happy, they also feed and shed wonderfully

View attachment 262649View attachment 262650 the hides are just plastic coated with black pond sealer to keep the light out, few sticks to climb and a heat mat under about 1/4 of the tub. used to drill the vents but thanks to the diy forum found out soldering iron was so much easier. these are just temp for a total of 3 weeks till i get everything built but they seem very happy

Thanks everyone. I was just worried about the humidity being too much but i will try to fix the problem now.

Heating Help

Hey i know this doesn't really relate to the topic here, but i am new to this forum. Will heat work well if i put a heat mat underneath my cage which has a wooden bottom? or will the heatpad burn out the wooden bottom of the caging. thankyou for your time

It should not burn the wood unless there is a malfunction but the timber will not conduct the heat and therefore will provide no benefit to your snake. It is best to put it inside your enclosure with a tile over it to regulate the heat.

It should not burn the wood unless there is a malfunction but the timber will not conduct the heat and therefore will provide no benefit to your snake. It is best to put it inside your enclosure with a tile over it to regulate the heat.
I have three timber enclosures and have heat mats under each at one end and they heat up nicely and maintain a constant temp of between 28 at night to 33-35 during a mild 24degC day. I dont know where you are getting your info from but heat mats under timber enclosures have always worked for me and I am guessing, a lot of people.

I have three timber enclosures and have heat mats under each at one end and they heat up nicely and maintain a constant temp of between 28 at night to 33-35 during a mild 24degC day. I dont know where you are getting your info from but heat mats under timber enclosures have always worked for me and I am guessing, a lot of people.

Fair enough, it is something that I have never tried and always thought it wouldn't due to the fact that wood is a fairly poor heat conductor, I guess it would depend on how thick your wood is. That is the good thing about forums, you are always learning something new from other peoples experiences.

ok, so i am fine to keep the heatmat underneath the wood and the heat will conduct correctly?, and do i need to put something underneath the enclosure so the heatmat isn't getting smothered?

If you enclosure is on a stand or something like that, I would and do put a tea towel or a cloth on the surface your enclosure sits on, then heat mat on top of the towel then the enclosure on the heat mat. I control how warm it gets by the level of substrate over where the heat mat sits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back