touchy subject trophies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a pig hunter with only a knife trying to kill 100kg+ bassalt boar coming at straight at him..........!!
id like to see that to , personally i prefer the use of a fire arm over that method but each to their own , people can try to tell me its effective they get stabbed straight in the heart ra ra ra ra but at the end of the day their are better methods to do it imo , also i originally only made that statement youve quoted to tell mr herp that there are people who do that , not that their going to go and take on the biggest boar they can find :)

You should only ever be allowed to kill animals as a sport if you use your bare hands and teeth if necessary, any use of dogs, knives, guns , bows is cheating.

I dont have a problem with shooting for food or pest destruction but if you want to shoot for fun there are paper or clay targets the game ranch hunting in africa this also applies in australia there are people out there that think they are great white hunters shooting animals out of a ute in a 30 acre paddock

I have no problem at all with hunting - provided it is done properly. The thing is that too many times I have seen it turn into "lets get pxxxxd and shoot stuff". Some of my old mates I would be cautious of letting them use my TV let alone giving them a gun and half a carton each. In the old days when the duck season used to open I think the hunters managed to shoot more of the other hunters than ducks. So especially somewhere like Australia it has suffered over the years from complete idiots.

Still one problem I am seeing now is that some of the "do gooder" mentality is actually making things worse. Obviously some of the feral animals are a huge problem - along with some natives. For example the Lions above are almost impossible for zoos to get rid of. In many countries people have them as pets, and in zoos themselves they breed like rabbits - well more like lions and tigers, so feeding them is not cheap. Think a cow every week or two sort of costs. In reality if they were not sold they would probably have been put down.

Ultimately though it is hard to argue that hunting is some sort of 'evil' when I have seen far more animals killed on roads than I ever have through hunting. I can't say I have any desire to sit on the verandah polishing my gun and then go out and shoot Bambi's mum, but I also know I like to go fishing occasionally and enjoy a nice burger so it does limit how much I can criticise someone else for enjoying something different to me.

In Australia those 2 would be considered the same as our fox problem that we have.

Vervet monkeys are considered by some people as pests because they are known to take food and/or crops from communities (and other nuisances) but comparing a native species which has adapted to human civilization as a resource to an introduced species that has a detrimental effect on native fauna is a bit of an overrepresentation in my opinion.

For example the Lions above are almost impossible for zoos to get rid of. In many countries people have them as pets, and in zoos themselves they breed like rabbits - well more like lions and tigers, so feeding them is not cheap. Think a cow every week or two sort of costs. In reality if they were not sold they would probably have been put down.

As stated before surplus zoo stock is an issue but most zoos especially accredited facilities strictly regulate breeding, so it is not completely accurate that they breed like rabbits in zoos. A cow a week-fortnight is a VERY overfed animal! Captive individuals don't consume anywhere near this amount for routine diets.

Look i used to go shooting on occasion myself for foxes, rabbits and so on. Now that im involved more with Fauna rescue work. Its not so much. (for some reason) I see exactly what ELAPID is saying tho. Its not the act of shooting itself. Its perhaps the thought processes that are behind it. I guess what im trying to say is that If you go out for the 'thrill' (and pig hunting is pretty intense) or Enjoyment of the kill. What questions does that raise? Do you enjoy killing? What happened to you as a child to take pleasure in killing? I understand that this affection is for only a few shooters out there.... but there is enough of them.
ON THE OTHER HAND! The human instinct to kill is perfectly natural.... its not disgusting, its not even weird. Its actually quite normal from an instinctual point of view. Those little endorphins that get released after a kill or intense hunt is probably part of our survival strategy. Every shooter will justify their hobby to themselves and that is what matters. regardless whether its for feral control, humane ultimatums or pleasure.
but the question must be asked.... Do you enjoy killing??

the short answer is NO.............but ferals must be killed to ensure the longevity of our natives

I haven't had a current gun licence for years, but Ive hunted in the past for deer (yum) I'm not into trophy kills,.its incredibly wasteful to kill an animal for its head alone. But if you take no more than you can eat I see no.issue
Sorry for bumping this thread my tapatalk brings up threads in no particular order

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some hunt because it is exciting while others do it for the bragging rights and get there jollys that way, canned shooters obviously fit in the latter category. People who drive around with dead animal parts displayed on their vehicles obviously have some sort of psycholigical problem and perhaps are the people who shouldn't have guns. Just my opinion and you dont have to agree with it.

Not all hunters are killing for fun and a photo, I've been brought up shooting both target and animals, besides the pests, we eat what we shoot including the trophie game, at least I know how the meat got to my plate and how it was humanly killed without any suffering. Each to their own.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

You wouldn't do it if you didn't enjoy it so you do it for fun. Dont be intimidated by what others impose as a definition of what fun is.

Not all hunters are killing for fun and a photo, I've been brought up shooting both target and animals, besides the pests, we eat what we shoot including the trophie game, at least I know how the meat got to my plate and how it was humanly killed without any suffering. Each to their own.

People do things everyday that they don't enjoy.. On a farm it's something that has to be done, are you saying those in a slaughter house enjoy killing cows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back