Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joemal

Reaction score
Well after all this time i have decided to look at getting a monitor .Always loved the Lacies but looking at a Sand Goanna at the moment .Any ideas from people keeping the larger breeds as to which are the better to own .Room is no problem and well just about everyone on here knows about my 3 larger snakes so size wise and temperament is no problem .Just want peoples views on the medium to large size lizards .

From speaking to A sand monitor keeper he mentioned they need to be kept fairly dry especially their large sand pit area for digging. But that is all I know

I've never owned a Sandy, but Lacies have to be the ultimate monitor IMO, though I may be a little biased:)! They are very intelligent and learn quickly (for a reptile), should never be underestimated (especially in "food brain mode"), as they probably can do more damage to a human than any other Oz monitor, but can be a pleasure to own if treated appropriately and allowed to interact on their own terms.

If you love Scrubs, you'll get a kick out of Lacies I'd imagine.

I've never owned a Sandy, but Lacies have to be the ultimate monitor IMO, though I may be a little biased:)! They are very intelligent and learn quickly (for a reptile), should never be underestimated (especially in "food brain mode"), as they probably can do more damage to a human than any other Oz monitor, but can be a pleasure to own if treated appropriately and allowed to interact on their own terms.

If you love Scrubs, you'll get a kick out of Lacies I'd imagine.

Yeah i'm a bit biased towards Lacies to .Virtually a scrubby with legs .No real dramas with them is there .

Yeah i'm a bit biased towards Lacies to .Virtually a scrubby with legs .No real dramas with them is there .

Much better attitude than a scrubby if raised properly, though the potential for danger is still there. I sold all my Scrubbs because I got tired of being tagged all the time (I'm also a big coward), but it'd be a sad day if I had to part with any Lacies!

Why not a big tank of a Spencers! Though a healthy Lacey is equally as impressive..

Personally I've found lacies fairly boring to keep, I've had lacies aswell as a panoptes outside in
pits and the panoptes is far more interesting (and impressive looking) as it goes about it's daily business. Spencer are another one that I enjoy keeping.. I am biased though as I enjoy keeping species that I don't see commonly around the local area (eg. lacies).

Personally I've found lacies fairly boring to keep, I've had lacies aswell as a panoptes outside in
pits and the panoptes is far more interesting (and impressive looking) as it goes about it's daily business. Spencer are another one that I enjoy keeping.. I am biased though as I enjoy keeping species that I don't see commonly around the local area (eg. lacies).

Yeah I agree, I have both & the panoptes is a much more active, inquisitive animal, my lacey is still good though. you'll probably get a lacey as there much more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back