This is probably a good place to ask this question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Reaction score
Living in the UK all my life I frequently speak with people who are fed up with the direction our country has gone and continues to go. This seems to be centred around several key issues namely the cost of living, not feeling rewarded for their efforts, the weather, crime and the endless scroungers milking the system dry. This said all the Australians I have met seem far happier with their country. My question is are Australians generally a happier bunch and if so what provides this happiness?.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

yea you poms are a whiny bunch :) ;) , theres still all those problems here in australia , except the weathers probably better but to counteract the good luck their we've got a boat problem if you know what i mean ;)

We're happier because we just go 'she'll be right' and get on with it. The sun helps as well haha

to put it into perspective, England fits into Queensland 26 odd times, yet has Estimate around 50 million people, australia as a whole has about 25 million, it's easy to see why we're "happier" with our lot, we're not quite packed in like sardines yet.

We have similar issues here, but to be honest, Australians are lazy as sin. For example: The price of petrol goes up 15 cents a litre. We ****** and moan about it for two weeks, then just accept it as a fact of life.
Alternate example: Cuba. Price of petrol goes above 60 cents a litre, they're rioting in the streets and killing the crap out of each other.

I'm not sure how rioting and killing each other over a little money is a good alternative and a good model for our country.

I'm not sure how rioting and killing each other over a little money is a good alternative and a good model for our country.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, or that we should be doing it. Just highlighting the difference in attitude. I think a lot of it comes down to quality of life. Here in Oz, if petrol goes up, it's a pain in the *** and we don't like it. But overall, it's still one of the best places to live in the world, so it's not that big a deal. Whereas in Cuba, life kind of sucks anyway, so petrol prices going up becomes a much bigger deal.

...I frequently speak with people who are fed up with the direction our country has gone and continues to go. This seems to be centred around several key issues namely the cost of living...

That sounds so very familiar!
I have family in France, Italy and Portugal and they all say exactly the same...

After 8 years in centre London and another 8+ in Sydney and Brisbane, I've finally realisee the grass is always greener on the other side!

Don't get me started on unemployment rising and work force moving to Asia, not to mention immigration, taxes and... Uhm, all these had already happen in UK few years ago, I guess Australia never been very up to speed, but eventually gets there just the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how Aussies whine, whinge and gripe over the price of petrol... But have you seen the price of beer over there??? And it's not even the good stuff!!!

Sorry, me again.... Best put some evidence up: Australia - Pintprice, compare beer prices from around the world

Lager in Australia is $8 AUD
Average using prices from 186 user(s).

New Zealand - Pintprice, compare beer prices from around the world

Lager in New Zealand is $4.81 AUD
Average using prices from 46 user(s).

United Kingdom - Pintprice, compare beer prices from around the world

Lager in United Kingdom is $5.92 AUD
Average using prices from 639 user(s).

I know where I'd prefer to be drinking!!! (not to mention the exchange rate helps both you pomes and aussies.... Crikey, surprised you hadn't cottoned on to that already!

Last edited:
I line in the San Fransisco bay area. I'm shure some of you have heard about our crime thef and cost of liveing rates. I like it here. And I'll probabley not move. There is crime almost everywhere you go. But near Oakland California where I live it's like a war zone murders nearly every day.

We only have the beginning of an illegal immigration problem, and it's nothing more than direct result of our spineless politician problem.

I think Australians are happier as many of us are surrounded by beautiful scenery daily and there is an energy in our culture that is laced with optimism. There are so many things to look foward to in our daily lives! Unfortunately the problems we tend to have are not unique to this country such as issues stemming from decaying lower socio-economic regions of larger cities, poorly structured immigration and integration policies, privatisation of utility companies which impose unrealistic prices on commodities to the consumer (SA electricity bills are a reptile keepers nightmare), and the price of housing in Australia is just a big scam. I'm one of the many Aussies that keeps working hard to minimise the exposure I have to the toxins in our society and with the money I earn restrict the amount I spend on overpriced resources. Don't just take it, work around it!

I think the UK suffers a greater illegal immigration problem that we do.
I was going to say the same thing. People are complaining that we are being bombarded by asylum seekers, I will suggest the people have a look at this as it gives some stats on the numbers. Have a look at the numbers for the rest of the world then look at the numbers for Australia. Stop your whinging and have some compassion for those who are less fortunate.

UNHCR - Asylum Levels and Trends in Industrialized Countries, 2011: Statistical Overview of Asylum Applications Lodged in Europe and Selected Non-European Countries

We only have the beginning of an illegal immigration problem, and it's nothing more than direct result of our spineless politician problem.
Look at the world wide figures and you will see that there is increased numbers of asylum seekers world wide, it wouldnt matter what policy you have you will still get asylum seekers.

Look at the world wide figures and you will see that there is increased numbers of asylum seekers world wide, it wouldnt matter what policy you have you will still get asylum seekers.

Yeah that's right, but at least the "boat people" are turn around before they even set a foot in Oz.

In UK they just arrive from everywhere...

A couple years ago 99% of Brazilians were illegal, in beguining they just arrived through 'sister nation' Portugal, but then it become easier to fly direct to UK. (and that's just a drop in the ocean)...

There was a story on tv, a BBC reporter pretended to loose his passport and smuggled himself in trucks across the chanel. - Long story short, he arrived on foot at social security office w/ no ID and he was told "come back tomorrow" of course he never did.
This was to show how anyone can get in.

No to mention back in 2006 when they 'opened the doors' to new EU joined countries, like Poland, UK authorities were expecting 85k to arrived and a recent study shown over 600k!

In this area, Aussies whinge a lot, but in reality they have it easy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back