Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know you could mix different species, until I saw (USA) a carpet x condro and a ball x condro is soon to come...

The keeper/breeder said it will improve both species, but he didn't explain how!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hybridisation can never improve on Mother nature..
I'm sorry, do you eat beef, chicken, pork or lamb? Even vegetables? Most of what we eat are hybrids.... Do you have a pet cat or dog? They are hybrids too.... It may not appeal to you compared to their wild non-hybrid counterparts however we created them the way they are for a reason.

Hybridisation can never improve on Mother nature..
thats not really true just might be your opinion whilst i cant see how hybridisation can improve reptiles it most certainly has in the horticulture/agriculture industry

100% against cross breeding snakes. Its just another way humans continue to ignore natures designs and so far it hasnt brought any good to nature. Some people just dont seem capable of appreciating the world around them, they have to change animals to appreciate them. And just look at the Americans with their ball python morphs, where will it end? It just leads to hundreds of random unknown morphs that can barely be classified.

I think people should just appreciate the incredible creations that nature provides. I love 100% pure bred animals, just the way nature intended them and nothing will change that.

No, because eventually we'll get to the same stage as American cichlids are in this country with hybrids being on sold to unknowing recipients,bred with pure snakes, etc etc..in a few years time everything's a cross of everything...

I'm happy to see this is civilized. Honestly, the reason that I asked the question here is because you have some of the most beautiful animals on the planet. Your monitors, snakes and even amphibians. Breeders have done so much for this trade. However there are so many unwanted normal royals here in the states its crazy. Some Royal morphs go for thousands of dollars. A Woma here is about $250-300 starting. A normal Royal is $25. Cross them together and now you have $500+ to start.

"Designer" dogs are all the rage here as well...Chorkies, Morkies, Puggles, Peekapoo, and lets not forget the "doodle" line. Back in my day, they were called mutts and usually ended up at the dog pound. Now people sell them for hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Like I said, I love the look of some hybrids, but I just wonder how many end up in the freezer just to make a quick buck. I think thats what bothers me the most.

if you can freeze a live, healthy animal to death for no other reason than dollars than im sorry but you have way deeper/worse issues than breeding hybrids,serious issues,however, i also i think a lot of people believe a morelia to morelia is a hybrid.....
carpondros .....hmmm well i dont know enough of the GTP history/taxonomy to make an educated guess/statment other than most of them...even the "freezer/ugly" ones do look behave and seem very interesting to me.
so in a few words, hybrids no im not keen... womaXgtp...woma x bhp woma x morelia or any combo of is reckless,
apart from gtpXmorelia,that i belive done with caution and respect could work .

There was a time when cross genus breeding of reptiles was considered impossible, so no one even tried.

Sometimes I miss the old days...

Just wait til they get bored of what they're doing now and try something different again. British Short-haired Ballcondroodle?

Diamond X coastal NATURAL intergrade = PORT MAC!!

If you don't know what your actually talking about don't comment!!

Actually it is far more complicated than that. If I take a coastal and cross it with a diamond then I do not automatically get a Port Maquarie. Really it is getting into some very heavy speciation issues which in the Carpets are still a mess and I expect as time goes on there will be a lot more work done. From a biological perspective 'intergrade' does not really even mean much, just a made up term. There is even some argument to elevate the Macs to a subspecies in their own right rather than just a race or population since they are bounded by the Northern Rivers and the Great Lakes in the south. The geography - and geology of the NSW coast in this case should not be underestimated as there are a number of natural boundaries. For example the Flora and Fauna North and South of Sydney harbour is subtly different. Kuringai to Brisbane Water again and so on all along the coast.

As for hybrids in general provided they are labelled and traded as such and never released back into the wild then fine. Just because an animal is 'native' in Qld or WA does not mean it is native to NSW, studying populations is hard enough without gene pools getting seriously muddied through released animals.

Although I would never produce any hybrids. I'm on the fence about the idea. If someone wants to do it and know all the risks that are involved and are ready to cull an animal then I have no problem with it. What I hate is when people do it without a goal,just do it to see what happons. I probabley not buy a hybrid eather. Although carpondros are pretty cool.

i dont like hypos but some US hypos are crazy! Wish we could have the same rules as US. And yeah i know the consequences.

I think it depends whether you want to keep a nice piece of native wildlife in a tank in your living room and admire it and think that it represents what is actually out in the bush or whether you want to try and create an interesting looking snake with unusual colours/patterns etc. I think there is room for both in the hobby and I dont see why some people seem to be so for/against it.

Haha, when I want to talk about hybridising my nosebag, or my muts, I'll go to the relevant sites, but for now, I'm on a reptile site....:shock::lol:

Diamond X coastal NATURAL intergrade = PORT MAC!!

If you don't know what your actually talking about don't comment!![/QUOTE
Diamond x Coastal = MUTT!!!!

Christ, the lot above, came out a mess, LOL..................Their is no XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX In Intergrade..:)

Last edited:
Personally I'm not a fan, but I'm biased. I am smitten with our native fauna

I agree, mutant's belong in the freezer IMO. A guy (is an APS forum member as well) recently got nailed in SA as he was cross breeding Bredli with a Coastal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back