Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
male or female? i know beardie females do that and males bob their heads when they want to mate or are ready. Not sure about EWDs but they should be fairly similar

most dragon species ,generally males do it, I have seen gilberts in darwin doing this a lot during the mating season seems to be a territorial display or mating display of some sort.

My EWD does that, the bigger one .. after that she/he would chase and bite my other EWD. I know in beardies it means that they are showing recessive behavior but mine might be showing aggression.

okay thanks guys just weird tho because its just him in the tank and he was just sitting under his heat lamp and then puts one leg up in the air as if to say hello haha have no clue why he didn't surly it could be a mating thing or a aggression thing because its just him in there

possibly a dominance thing, i saw a male central netted dragon doing it and then chasing the girls around.. they are way to young to mate as well.

That's why Gilbert's and a couple of others are called Ta ta lizards... because they wave bye bye...

Jamie

Dragons in particular are known for their systems of visual communication between each other. Apart from breeding colours, this can involve a wide range of physical movements. Such movements can include head bobbing, arm lifting and dropping, arm waving, body posturing, inflation of the throat area, change of colour of part or all, lifting of the tail, flicking of the tail, moth gaping, tongue flicking, substrate licking and a few more. In addition, the meaning can be dependent on who goes first and how quickly the action is performed. In a study of bearded dragons the researchers came up with around 50 different differing signals each with its own meaning. Although I have searched, unfortunately I cannot find the article.

I am aware of two instances where youngish Eastern Water Dragons were in visual line of sight to a dominant Eastern Bearded Dragon. Both Water Dragons died and a veterinary assessment was they appeared to have died of stress. It appears that they understand at least some of each other’s visual signals... which is very interesting.

Try Googling on EWD visual communication – I came up with two possibilities.

Blue

mine do it when i sit down to eat dinner they run up to the glass and wave at me wave back at your dragon and see how it reacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back