Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the APS freebie section be used for "wanted for free" adverts or not?

• NO

Votes: 87 90.6%
  • YES

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the thousands of animals that get dumped every year. Lots of people purchase animals without much thought and dump them because they loose interest or get to big or bite. What is wrong with giving these people another option? Wouldn't you call the people that dump animals the parasites. I grew up in veterinary hospital and worked there for many years as a teenager. I have seen some pretty horrific things from people who no longer want their pets. Kittens left in box at the tip in the middle of summer in Sydney. Needless to say most of them died. There was Evan diamond python I can remember being dumped on the doorstep with mouth canker which was nursed back to health. So all you hi and mighty people that think you know think again. Before you say where not talking about cats and dogs have think about it because I promise you people are out there doing the same things with reptiles. If they are that way inclined yes perhaps they arent on this forum but then again they might be.

Another well thought out response Colin deleted the posts.

I didn't actually delete the adverts. I moved them to the moderators forum off view of regular members and if the owner or other mods felt my decision was inappropriate they could be moved back. please don't come out with statements "Colin deleted them" because that's rubbish and you have no knowledge how moderating on this site is administered.

and 18 posts since being a member since May 2008 doesn't really seem like your even a supporter of this forum? how many of your 18 posts were "WANTED stuff for free ads"? or in this thread :)

just an observation mate and I'm not having a go at you but it doesn't seem you support the site by contributing posts to help others here much or even bother to post much.. but want stuff for free.. try gumtree etc but please don't post wanted for free ads here. thanking you

i support the site, 86 posts in just over 1 month. and i subscribed but yet i cop it for asking for free reptiles to a good forever home, where they wont be sold for profit.

i purched the coastals i never got them for free. and yes i have had them over 6 months. no i did not get a thank you card he said thanks in person.

Well that kind of makes your "Doing it for the children" argument null & void, doesn't it ? Though I have no doubt you will come up with another justification just as quick.

Personally, I think it is ourtight rude asking for free animals in a forum knowing full well that the majority of other users are forking over their hard earned cash for the same animals. Given the current poll standing, I think it is safe to say that the majority of participants agree.

Of course, taking possession of an unwanted animal that the current owner has *offered* is an entirely different matter, and no one is knocking that.

i never said i am doing it just for the children, my point was that i am not in it to make money like some people r saying. i give them a good forever home and i do give back to others not just a taker like someone else implied.

i don't really care what anyone one says. i deal with spoilt children were i work every day, not much difference with adults.

i support the site, 86 posts in just over 1 month. and i subscribed but yet i cop it for asking for free reptiles to a good forever home, where they wont be sold for profit.

I dont think your copping it saintanger. But members who have been around for some time dont like people asking for animals for free and either do I personally. Your intentions may be honourable but no one really knows you since your a member for what a month?
Maybe you should learn to keep and breed your own animals before trying to middleman them from others and give them away?
If people have animals for free they will advertise them and you or anyone has the opportunity to receive them. But to be a member for a month? And be asking for free reptiles sounds very suspicious. Why do you need to do this? Do some volunteer charity work if you want to help people is my suggestion. All the best

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Tapatalk 2

if someone wants to get rid of a reptile that badly that they'll part with it for free you have to think there is a reason for that. Can just imagine "Free to good home, 'honey' jungle, 'slightly' cage defensive" hahah
Although I somewhat agree, I gave my little stimmy away when I went travelling for a long time, nothing was wrong with him at all. Great feeder, great handler and only 2 years old at the time.
Just a matter of circumstance

Personally, I would, and have, only give away snakes, to people I know, and trust will look after the animal. Snakes are pets to me, and not a commodity. As has been said many times, freebies are offered, not ASKED for.

i never said i am doing it just for the children, my point was that i am not in it to make money like some people r saying. i give them a good forever home and i do give back to others not just a taker like someone else implied.

i don't really care what anyone one says. i deal with spoilt children were i work every day, not much difference with adults.

you seem to be quite defensive over this and have taken this thread very personally. if you feel that asking for free animals is ok, then why so defensive? i think its because in reality you feel like a scab.

i'v only been a member here for a month but have owned reptiles for years and member of other sites for years too. and yeah i did cop it of a few member making up lies ect and saying stuff about me that aint true.

Personally, I would, and have, only give away snakes, to people I know, and trust will look after the animal. Snakes are pets to me, and not a commodity. As has been said many times, freebies are offered, not ASKED for.

I agree. It may seem a good idea giving stuff free to young kids etc but there must be some basic knowledge how to look after them and a food source available too. An "unwanted" snake may end up in a worse situation by being given to someone with a passing interest that soon tires of the work involved or costs involved.
Im all for encouraging kids with the hobby but think taking them herping to see them in the wild, taking them to a herp club or society meetings and giving information how to look after them etc the best way.. If after some time there interest grows then look to finding them a reptile and see how that goes. Many will loose interest but the ones with a real passion will stand out. Reptiles are a responsibility and privelege not a commodity.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Tapatalk 2

yeah i have a few unwanted snakes ill send them to your address via limo lol

100% agree with mungus and colin. both really good blokes with great reputations. If someone wants to give away a snake they will advertise it. get a job and stop being scabs. My 2 pet hates are scabs and thieves.

was given a carpet and a diamond from a "willing to take any unwanted reptiles" on gumtree before. didn't think anyone would actually contact me. guy was moving and needed to get them both gone asap, i only wanted the diamond but he insisted on both so i told him id sell the carpet and transfer him the money. he was very surprised 3 weeks later when i sent him the money i got for the carpet. i just got a free diamond (that i still have) i was more then happy to do legwork and send him money from the sale.

was given a carpet and a diamond from a "willing to take any unwanted reptiles" on gumtree before. didn't think anyone would actually contact me. guy was moving and needed to get them both gone asap, i only wanted the diamond but he insisted on both so i told him id sell the carpet and transfer him the money. he was very surprised 3 weeks later when i sent him the money i got for the carpet. i just got a free diamond (that i still have) i was more then happy to do legwork and send him money from the sale.

dont have an issue with posting on gumtree/petpages as half the people arent licensed and will just make up numbers anyway when asked.

Question must be asked, how would people effectively quarantine if they were able to scab up a number(lets say 6 ) in a short period of time?

Cant really house new additions with stuff already in quarantine for 3 months otherwise need to start from scratch. My quarantine area is 2 rooms of my house away from all my collection, so could really only quarantine 2 at a time

100% agree with mungus and colin. both really good blokes with great reputations. If someone wants to give away a snake they will advertise it. get a job and stop being scabs. My 2 pet hates are scabs and thieves.

My 2 pet hates are suck holes and know it alls.

Why won't anyone give me a albino oenpelli for free lol. I promise I will pay for its enclosure & vet bills.

my pet hates are liers and whingers

Last edited:
so what you's are saying is that no one should ask for anything in life and only take if they get offered. what a world to live in. so a homeless person should not ask for food but wait to be offered food? lol

and how dare you say disadvantaged kids should not have pets cause they won't be able to aford it. so what your saying is my son should not have a snake and my daughter should not have a dog. their great kids and have worked hard for them. my son mows lawns to pay for his snakes food.

unlike you lot who spend all day here whinging, i work, i pay a morgage and raise 4 kids on my own. SO SORRY if i can't afford a bloody snake. doesn't mean my son should go with out. he asked for a free python and got 2 for free. because someone had a heart.

grow up people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back