Advice on 2 female BHP's living together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals, hopefully this is an easy one, but Im still learning things so I thought I would engage the general populace for some advice or assistance.

I have 3 BHPs at home, 1 Male and 2 Female who are all in their own separate enclosures, but I have recently developed a new way of attempting to injure myself by building some enclosures for my various snakes. Im currently in the planning phase for these and one thing Im curious about is to see what your thoughts may be in having the 2 female BHPs living together. I have read that a few people have not had an issue where as I have also read that others says its not a good idea.

Various threads I have just read also recommend that two snakes do not live together permanantly but there was also solid arguments through those threads where folks have successfully done so. If they were to live together, would the below actions be of benefit?

• Girls would be fed separately and out of the enclosure
  • Male would not be introduced to the enclosure
  • The Enclosure would be large enough and with a couple of levels to ensure the girls would have enough space to stretched out if needs be.

Would those points be enough to have the girls together bearing in mind there are incredibly placid snakes (unless you have food) or should I not spend the time and just create separate enclosures.

Cheers in advance

S

better to just keep them separate , to many problems involved with keeping them together imo these problems include one trying to eat the other and either succeeding or they both might die in the struggle , and what are the benefits , none really just less enclosures needed

plus bhps are primarily reptile eaters in the wild so that just makes things a little more risky

Yep... just asking for trouble putting two snakes which primarily eat other snakes together, even if they are the same species. There are no benefits and a couple of big risks.

Jamie

Bhp aren't like other snakes (except womas) they will eat each other. Regardless if it 2 girls. If you wanted to put say two bredli's together then yeah go for it but Bhp's are biggg no in book

Rightio, well that solves that one and another thing learnt. Thanks Guys and Gals.

Bhp aren't like other snakes (except womas) they will eat each other. Regardless if it 2 girls. If you wanted to put say two bredli's together then yeah go for it but Bhp's are biggg no in book
any snake is capable of eating another snake , its not like womas and bhps are the only ones capable of it , have a look in the thread antaresia freaks , around page 88 , 2 stimmis , one half way down the gob of another one , bredlis , from a dry and arid country ,probably eat another snake or 2 in the wild so still a very real possibility in captivity , people who dont think its possible have their head in the sand , yes people have done it and it is possible , but just always remember that they can eat each other

Apparently if you put two snakes together the whole world will implode and end all life as we know it

I think it will also depend on the girls - they could be fine for ages or for all time, or they could quietly plan to rid themselves of their room mate...just waiting for the right opportunity...lol

What do you perceive are the benefits of housing them together? And what sort of chance are you willing to take that things won't go well? People do things all the time that have a risk - you just have to be willing to accept the consequences if it goes wrong. Forums like this have a negative selection biasis with respect to this issue as not many people are willing to post/report when things go wrong so you mainly hear from the people who have never had a problem.

I see no advantage by housing two snakes together. Except for space. Snakes, woma and bhp in particular, are canibalistic.

Another disadvantage is, what if one gets sick? They both do then. Double your vet bill.

I don't think its worth it but some do and have done it for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks fo Guys and Gals. After doing some more research and reading your posts, I can see the disadvantages of having the two girls together far outweigh the advantages. Considering the welfare of my all my animals one of my highest priorities, I have planned 3 separated enclosures (one for each of the BHPs) and as long as I don't screw myself to a peice of wood, I should hopefully get some pics up of the new enclosures in the next few weeks.

i keep my woma's seperated, simply because they are too happy for food that i want to risk it :) my carpets on the other hand are kept in pairs, all snakes can eat their room mate, i have seen dumeril boa's eating their room mates, hogg island boa's same thing, those are species who arent known to eat other snakes, so bhp and woma's who are known to eat other snakes, well basically anything if given the oppotunity i would not take the chance :)

Wait...someone asks a question...gets sensible advice..and takes it. AM I IN THE FREAKING TWILIGHT ZONE??

Unless they are breeding pair...the answer is...wait for it...NEVER!

Always keep snakes in separate enclosures. They will attempt to eat each other, particularly so if they're aspidites (blackheadeds and womas which can easily cannibalise each other).

Wait...someone asks a question...gets sensible advice..and takes it. AM I IN THE FREAKING TWILIGHT ZONE??

Haha, Im too old and have grown out of the need to be right all the time. Besides, I asked the question, I would be a bit of a silly billy if I ignored it and attempted to argue it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, Im too old and have grown out of the need to be right all the time. Besides, I asked the question, I would be a bit of a silly billy if I ignored it and attempted to argue it :p

good to see , some members dont listen , not naming any names , im sure people know who im talking about though ;) cough :coastal and olive: cough

Last edited by a moderator:
I house 2 womas together(unknown sex) and house 2 bhps together(both males) and no problems, also my local reptile park have several bhps together same with there womas. Like mine they are around the same size
cbabc530-cfc0-1c67.jpg
cbabc530-cfec-e877.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back