Big black cats ( panther) Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really want to go through nearly 30 pages to see if anyone else has brought it up, but has anyone ever heard of a Maine Coon? The largest breed of domestic cat in the world. Sorry if it's been brought up earlier but-

Main-Coon-Cat-e1291259885239.jpg

huge-maine-coon-cat-diva.jpg

They're freaking huge. Another domestic breed that grows to a similar size (though a few kilos smaller) is the Norwegian forest cat. If a domesticated cat can grow to that size, then a feral cat with an unlimited rage of food and habitat and minimal predators could too. I personally don't believe in wild 'panthers' and the like being in Australia, I believe they are just huge ferals.
Coming across something like that unexpectedly would scare the crap out of a lot of people, and being used to the normal 3-4 kg cat, it would be enough to provoke thoughts of a large wild cat.

why every time there is a big cat sighting here in australia the picture is always blurry.

Yeah, interesting.... just like the Loch Ness' ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I have to admit I feel a large portion of sightings of any cryptid animal are complete lies I feel people are a little too quick to dismiss the possibilty of large cats in Australia.
Comparing UFO's to a described and well known species of animal is a little childish. We aren't arguing the species existence merely the fact that it's out of it's endemic range, don't we see that with a lot of animals over the world? There are many documented cases which show the tenacity and ability smugglers have when illegally importing animals of all sizes and species.

Some of the arguments being used to disprove the possibility in this thread are as bad as some of the nutcases who make the really bizaare claims about cryptids. Spending large portions of time in the bush without seeing a big cat isn't proof they don't exist nor is pointing fingers at people making the claims.
Just imagine there were decades where the Panda were thought to be completely extinct, this is in a country were people actually reside in the Panda's natural habitat and yet for almost 30 years they were thought to be extinct because nobody could provide evidence to say any different. They also had trackers and people who used to hunt them before the "extinction" yet not a single one was found.

Einstein once said- "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be"
That kind of puts both sides of the argument in perspective.

Getting drunk would be the best way to see one.

+1
Yes it works, unreal!
I've seen a Loch Ness in my swimming pool winking at me after BBQ! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm I'm glad you didn't specify what you had been drinking as I'm sure it wouldn't have been legal!

Apparently it's all over!! :D The Vic government sent in a couple of shiny pants bureaucrats with biros and notebooks and it's all been sorted out in a month. I'm pretty certain they've inadvertently suggested to anyone who's seen a "larger than average sized cat" to "get off the gear" :lol: :lol:

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Thank goodness for them pollies! :D

Apparently it's all over!! :D The Vic government sent in a couple of shiny pants bureaucrats with biros and notebooks and it's all been sorted out in a month. I'm pretty certain they've inadvertently suggested to anyone who's seen a "larger than average sized cat" to "get off the gear" :lol: :lol:

Gubbermint is wrong.A mate of mine who happens to be a Yowie has 2 panthers as pets.

All over :shock:.... I can not and will not accept that! They really need to put in more money and research into it... That load of crap does not have an explanation for my exaggerations and hallucinations of the black panther terrorising our Victorian countryside... THIS WILL NOT DO AT ALL!

Panther like? May be it is a fossa?? Never seen one just look it up. Answers so much.

:D
Ok so I was staying at the girlfriends house lastnight out in Bilpin, kurrajong heights ( blue mountins) they have 25 acres with sheep, horses, chooks, and get roo's out in the mornings feeding on the cleared paddocks anyway my girls little brother was taking hay bales down on the quad to give them a feed just on dusk around 8 it was.. He came hooning up to the house on the quad with eyes the size of dinner plates yelling get dad there's a panther down watching the sheep being only 11 and about 4 foot tall he was ******* himself to say the least. So my girls dad drops his beer and went to the gun safe and grabbed his .308 winchester (rifle) and told me to grab the spotty and jump on the quad with him we went straight down to the paddocks where we found all the sheep and horses huddled to together in the corner of the paddock but couldn't see anything, after around half an hour of huddling in the bush with my girls stinky dad's arm pitts we gave up and went back to the house.

Long story short they did a head count of the sheep today and found that one was missing and we couldn't find any signs of it so we have now called a few mates and are going for a hunt a bit later the sarvo and tonight to see if we can find anything. Annd know it won't be shot if not necersery unless it's with a camera.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen these big cats or knows people who have or any storys you may have on these feral cats, panthers..

Here's a clip i found on youtube check it out

Big Cats in Australia - Mystery Black Panthers - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Look up
020731_megafauna.jpg
[h=1]Fossa (animal) on wikipeadia , answers a lot of the quetions, pic is of fossil/preseve is from Au Australian Cave Yields Giant Animal Fossils any way one the fossa comes or two, or crosses with some thing similar.[/h]
my two cents...:D

Skull of the "pouched lion,"Thylacoleo carnifex.

Photograph courtesy of Clay Bryce/Western Australian Museum

Last edited:
Are they saying there are no big cats, or that there are no Big Cats? The former being extremely large feral cats, whereas the latter are from the families of , say, cheetahs, panthers, tigers, lions, pumas etc.

There is enough evidence of large felines, but is it more likely to be large, (by diet or evolution), feral domestic cats, or escaped/released Big Cats?

Yawn. The reason these stories (yes, that's all they are) have been around for so long is not because they exist, but due to the fact that other 'believers' carry on with the story.

We're in the 21st century now, bloody shoes have cameras on them these days and yet not one single decent image has surfaced... Let it go.

No pic bro

Or is that the point? :)
Ninja Cat Steve. Heard they are all over NSW.

Stories like this make me thing back to growing up in Africa and playing (read getting mauled) by dads Serval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back