Sick spotted, please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly86

Reaction score
Hey guys, my friend has a really sick spotted python. I went and had a look and he is dehydrated, barely moving, turns his head upside down and keeps opening his mouth really wide. Whaat could it be and how much would vet treatment cost as my friend cant really afford it but i will try help out if i can.
please no nasty comments, im trying to help my friend :evil: thanks

Don't sound good could be a ri infection but I no expert I would def take to a vet. The vets should be under $100 for consultation then treatments on top of that. imo I would be heading to the vet asap.

People will need more details. Temperatures, photos, eating habits etc....

If it's as bad as that I wouldn't even be asking I would be at the vet already. And I am not being nasty.

sorry, he's hot side is on 32 degrees, he hasnt been eating for the past month or 2 that i know of and im currently uploading a video to post. the only vet here that deals with snakes that im aware of is the uni vet at camden, i have called them but they cant tell me how much it will cost. my friend is broke atm and is freaking out. i dont have much money either but if someone knows a rough estimate i can try help out. trust me the snake would be at the vet if we had the funds, i cant go there if i dont have enough $$$ thanks

Ring the vet and speak to them...our vet once let us put a deposit down and pay the rest off, was around a $1500 bill, Can't hurt to ask.

how much does the snake way... best to get it to the vet. May need to be put on Baytril and Lincospectrum to treat what is wrong.

Wow. Just..wow. Can't afford the vet, can't afford the animal.

Pythonlegs, I understand where you're coming from, and for the most part I agree. However, there MAY have been unknown circumstances.
At my house I currently have 37 pets. We have enough money stashed away that if any of them requires it, we can get them seen to and sorted. However, a couple of years ago the rotti x ruptured her cruciate ligament. About $2500 later, if one of the other animals had needed a similar amount of money around that point in time, we would have been screwed.
Recently my sister's pig cost her about $1000 in vet bills, which she borrowed from our "emergency fund". About 3 weeks later, before she could pay it all back, she lost her job, and didn't get another one for 2 months. Luckily we were in a position to be able to afford it, but it was tight for a little while.

To the OP: I'm sorry about your mate's snake:(

In my life, when i've come to a point of "Oh crap, I'm broke and this is serious stuff" like this story here I've sought help from family members and good friends, and not once was it as serious as a beloved pet falling ill and eventually dying because of it.. I'm not trying to be negative at all so please don't get me wrong. It just doesn't sound like all measures were exhausted to save this poor little fella. Not many people want to see animals die, especially if they can do something about it.

Wow.... That poor thing, I am so sorry for your friends loss :(
I could say alot more but I dont want to be nasty. I just want to say I agree with some of the people above.

In this instance a trip to the vet would of been no help.Most likely had been sick for quite a while(months).

Wow. Just..wow. Can't afford the vet, can't afford the animal.

you shouldn't comment with your bs... you know nothing about my mate or her situation atm. this happened at a really tough time which is why i was trying to help her.

- - - Updated - - -

In my life, when i've come to a point of "Oh crap, I'm broke and this is serious stuff" like this story here I've sought help from family members and good friends, and not once was it as serious as a beloved pet falling ill and eventually dying because of it.. I'm not trying to be negative at all so please don't get me wrong. It just doesn't sound like all measures were exhausted to save this poor little fella. Not many people want to see animals die, especially if they can do something about it.

I completely understand what your saying, but my mate frantically asked everyone she could if they could lend her the cash. No one could. I only have a small amount of money myself but was prepared to pay, i was just certain i didnt have enough and needed to know how much i would have to borrow from a friends credit card (who lives an hour away). :( i did try, i dont drive so it was really hard. My friend is really upset by this

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Wow.... That poor thing, I am so sorry for your friends loss :(
I could say alot more but I dont want to be nasty. I just want to say I agree with some of the people above.

Yeah i know, i expected a lot more nasty comments so thankyou for keeping them to yourself. I know the snake should have gone straight to the vet but without the money they will not help, i had to deal with them when my dog had cancer :( My mate is punishing herself enough, when she couldnt borrow money she called me, i didnt get there till late and when i did i called the vet to find out how much $$$ i needed, they couldnt tell me so the only thing i could do was ask you guys as i only have a small amount of money.

Thankyou everyone, it didnt turn out the way we hoped it would but we learnt lessons from this. I have my own snakes and it honestly scared me how quickly they can just deteriorate. ill be saving more money now incase i have a similar emergency in the future. Thanks again guys xx

Last edited:
as youre all aware snakes have a very slow metabolism so when they do become very ill it often takes them a very long time to recover so in a lot of cases it can be too late once taken to the vet .. a tough lesson learnt for the friend of OP

i am always sorry to see a pet die but imo as soon as a pet looks off color if i dont know what the problem is its straight to the vet and by doing this the cost of treatment is reduced and yes i do have an account with my vet just in case something major pops up my animals dont suffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back