Turtle tied to balloons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a scientist who researches insects. It just so happens that i tether honeybee queens to helium balloons for mating experiments, so slimys comments about insects being compared to vertebrates infuriates me.

The scientific community accepts that insects do not come under animal ethics as currently it is accepted that invertebrates do not experience pain the way we interpret it.

I'll continue research insects this way as it is a legal practice and because i accept the judgement of the worlds scientists regarding insects over a kiwi school teacher
Tethering a vertebrate animal which does experience human equivelant pain, is illegal without animal ethics approval.

Stick to making condiments Slimy ;-)

Last edited:
However... What infuriates me is the amount of double standards...

Fruit Fly.... Just one prime example containing 'pain receptors' in the conventional sense.

Molluscs, annelids, all contain the same receptors and can experience 'pain'.

So it infuriates me just as it does to you that you call me a 'NZ school teacher' and that I've done no research on the subject.

How do you know I didn't work for AgResearch studying grass grubs...? Because... Ahem... For 6 years I did.... ;)

I don't like to enter the battle here for supremacy - but those who consider any life less than another should re-think this in any scenario.

This is the exact reason I'll never use fly spray (though I am not adverse to swatting mosquitoes or sand flies - they have their chance and many get away with it).

I admit, my claims are 'extreme' - but that's what makes a good teacher too... One that makes someone question what the 'authorities' have said. Having a question is far more powerful than laying back and agreeing - (wouldn't you agree... ok ok, I see the irony in that question... but you'd agree).

Society believes insects feel no pain... With EXTREMELY limited resources and just (on many cases) here-say!

I say, QUESTION that and ask - why does a worm struggle? Or a fly... And are they really happy walking away?

Because insects are a VAST kingdom there's variations from grubs to butterflies... So I don't expect the same results... but fruit flies... Now there's a phenomenon!

gird - I'm happy to say you're right... I don't have that as an issue... But I'm also saying I'm right... And there's plenty of evidence to back this up :)

I don't like to enter the battle here for supremacy - but those who consider any life less than another should re-think this in any scenario. =
slim6y for me it isnt about the turtles life being more important than a insect , to me its the stress the turtle obviously went through from looking at the video of it kicking its legs up in the tree , im a shooter , i have shot rabbits , so to me it has absolutely nothing to do , with the turles life

slim6y for me it isnt about the turtles life being more important than a insect , to me its the stress the turtle obviously went through from looking at the video of it kicking its legs up in the tree , im a shooter , i have shot rabbits , so to me it has absolutely nothing to do , with the turles life

Turtle = herpetologist friend
Rabbit = scourge of the Earth for an Australian (unless you're a cute fluffiest)

So - what if it was a rabbit up in the air then... Worse cry? Or is this where the herpetologists start to suggest that turtles and rabbits are on equal par... However, I bet the 'cute fluffiests' would disagree - considerably so!

I do agree with the struggling turtle - and clearly very stressed. And, considering turtles rarely choose flying as their mode of transport, I'm guessing the turtle was 'tortured' into the scenario against its will (doubtfully its better judgement).

But again, I always go back to the same point, so many environmentalists, animal lovers etc etc - (not all) have double standards, and I just wanted to illustrate that point.

BTW - want to come over here and shoot a few possums... We need about 60 million of them gone by Friday week....

mate if someone did the same thing to a rabbit , id still say they should be charged for animal abuse just as much as in this case , the point i was making about shooting rabbits was that this wasnt about the cute fluffiness as you put it or anything like that , i shoot rabbits because their a problem where they are , if they weren't there i wouldn't shoot them , but at the same time , id never tie a living animal to a balloon and send them on a joyflight , lucky things ended the way they did for it and it didnt drift into a flight path

A few more of you should try sky fishing, it's great fun Sky fishing for Drones (bees) - YouTube
That is pretty cool, pity I would be to lazy to ever get the equipment to do it. :?

Would you all have the same outcry if someone did this to a cockroach?

Pulled wings off a fly?

Stomped on a spider....

How many of you would have posted 'fly tied to line' to a newspaper?

Do any of you get up in arms when someone puts a live fish on a hook to catch another?

I'm sorry, but all I see is cruelty and double standards....
Actually Im not to fond on hurting anything and even hate it when people do stomp on insects for no reason, with the exception of mossies exactly like you said.
I have never been hunting, never like to kill a fly, cockroach or spider. And when ever I go fishing I dont use live bait, and dont harm any fish cause I never catch any :D So no matter what it is reptile, insect, mammal or fish I care about it all the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back