3 Days on Coroboree

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Part 1

Just spent 3 days on a houseboat on Coroboree Billabong on the Mary River (about 100 linear km to explore plus the dinghy for the tighter creeks). 6 of us on a 2 story boat cruising from paperbark swamps to open floodplains, vast expanses of water and tight little channels. Bird life was spectacular and crocs were everywhere but the fishing was crap. Neither Darlyn or I wet a line. The others flogged away but when the crocs are out the water is cold and when the water is cold the fish dont bite. The shags, sea eagles and snakebirds were getting plenty though!

DSC_0003_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0012_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0020_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0055_edited-1.jpg

It's a luxury trip for us, hot shower, dunny, fridge, big bbq, double bed, music, etc and it cost about $280 per person. On the friday we had the place to ourselves, a bit of traffic over the weekend but very easy to find your own place. 1) A 10mm view from the front of the houseboat. 2) it's a big river on the floodplains. 3) the birds muck around, food is abundant 4) they sail past the boat like it wasn't there. 5) saltie 6) jabiru 7) another houseboat in the distance 8) jacana

DSC_0057_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0060_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0086_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0098_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0110_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0142_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0145_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0168_edited-1.jpg

Coroboree is FOOD for the SOUL. After 3 days here you are cranky with nothing (except having to leave! :D

Part 2 next.

"THANKS" for sharing l always love these stories.....cheers (solar 17) Baden

Part 2

1) cormorants 2) big fella 3) they're everywhere! 4) country

DSC_0185_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0200_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0207_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0215_edited-1.jpg

etc
DSC_0217_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0220_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0225_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0235_edited-1.jpg

(note croc stalking birds in the last photo)
etc

DSC_0238_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0243_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0269_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0274_edited-1.jpg

There was no moon so the stars were thick as treacle when the sun went down. Swimming optional.
etc

Sounds like bliss to me. Beautiful spot. Did you see many freshies? was a great spot for seeing good numbers of both; at night with a spotlight is pretty interesting too.

Thanks for sharing all the great photos.

Yes the freshies are coming back. They virtually disappeared after the toads went through but we saw several this time after seeing none the last couple of years.

DSC_0333_edited-1.jpg

Thanks Steve:) Truely "food for the soul"!

Last edited by a moderator:
that sound great could you post the name of the company used to hire the boat I would love to do that

Yep- Mary River Houseboats.
They have a website with the layouts of the various hire boats. Amazingly the price is still the same as it was 15 years ago. This is because the new 4 stroke motors use 1/4 the fuel the old 2 strokes used to chew through.

Book early Chantal because they get booked out quickly (especially weekends).

I highly recommend this trip, much better than looking at things in a zoo!

- - - Updated - - -

Final instalment (unless Darlyn wants to show off her debut photographer skills)

This was our "tie-off" spot for night 2.
DSC_0278_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0282_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0290_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0302_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg
DSC_0357_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0360_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0376_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0377_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0382_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Ha ha that's why we do a 3 dayer. One night is not enough. We all used to decide to take a sickie on the Monday and keep going. And run out of refreshments. Now we plan ahead!

Looks amazing. My better half and I are heading up to Kakadu and Litchfield in about 8 weeks - going to melt I know but that's never stopped me before. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your country, I've done central and southern NT but never the top end.

It's hard work in the "build up" but there are a lot less tourists around. And the fish are ON!

PM me, we'll give you some clues, maybe catch up for a beverage.

It's hard work in the "build up" but there are a lot less tourists around. And the fish are ON!

if I can ever get up that way mate, you will need to take us out to see places like this mate

if I can ever get up that way mate, you will need to take us out to see places like this mate

- - - Updated - - -

Fishing for bass, barra and croc ;)

Love seeing those big crocs; we really are very lucky.

Here's some more crocs for you IV
first go 123.jpg
first go 134.jpg
first go 136.jpg
first go 140.jpg
first go 149.jpg
first go 182.jpg

And some bat's that were just hanging around.
first go 054.jpg

And the sunset

first go 351.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Darlyn:)! Most water roosting fruitbat colonies seem to attract a resident croc or two.

That def looks like a worth while trip, very lucky, plus to have the luxuries that you mentioned.....can't complain :)

Hi Steve,
Just saw your e-mail as Wo has had pneumonia.
Sunday night last (fathers day) but happy too say
on the mend now.
Enjoyed all the pics.
Living the good life.
Love Dad.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Steve,
Just saw your e-mail as Wo has had pneumonia.
Sunday night last (fathers day) but happy too say
on the mend now.
Enjoyed all the pics.
Living the good life.
Love Dad.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! What is my technophobic Dad doing on APS? And posing as me too ha ha! Good onya Dad! Hope Wo is all better now and you're on the mend too.

cheers
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back