realeste and reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it is very hard to find a real estate and landlord that allow pets. i have had that problem in the past. i rented a house i told them i had pets then wen they wanted to sell they would tell people i had a 17ft tank cause i was a fish breeder, lol i never breed fish. they said same things about my birds wen i had no nest boxs in the avery. back then i had no reptiles

my now real estate knows i have snakes i was straight up and told them they asked the landlord and he was ok with it, after they came out took photos and emailed it to him and got a copy of my reptile licence. i didn't see it as a problem as he knows i have dogs and birds, unless their terrified of reptiles.

just ask if they say yes then no more hiding, if they say no then just hide him. good luck

never told my agent, was quite surprised when he walked into the reptile room and found 6 pythons. but turns out he has a carpet himself so he didnt mind in the slightest, he was more interested in holding them and having first pick of the clutch as apposed to kicking me out.....fairly sure i just got really really lucky tho

I was always told that keeping reptiles in enclosures was considered "furniture" and therefore not a problem. My landlord and agents were fine with all my critters, so it is definitely best to ask first. But I don't see what the problem could be, not like they can do damage like dog or cat...

i told them i have captive native animals they asked what i had so i showed them the pics of my black n white jungle and albino they asked if i had more i said yes another 10 i then mentioned they take up almost no room and are in locked enclosures .
they said fine.
i think referring to your snakes as captive Aussie natives rather than pet snakes helps alot too.

Nato

Just make sure you get any and all agreements IN WRITING. I cannot stress this enough - it almost bit us in the bum but because we had it in writing and we kept the place well above par we couldn't be touched.

I'm lucky where I am now. My snake and beardie are written into the lease agreement. If they damage the place - unlikely - I will need to pay for the damage, which I think is fair enough. Maybe you can offer to put such a clause into your lease.

I've had an anal retentive real estate agent before, when I only had my stimmie, and had to hide her. I generally follow rules and didn't like to have to do that, but in this case there was no logic behind the rule other than a flat "no", so I went ahead anyway. I should say that the property manager never knew she was there and even complimented me on the condition I left the apartment in when I moved out.

It's so much better to be able to be open, but if you as a responsible adult can keep reptiles without disturbing the neighbours, creating a stench or damaging the place, it's possible to have sneaky reptiles. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just say I've got tanks with animals locked up in them ,

When I first moved into a rental house, they said no pets. I asked, what about ones that live in a tank? Fish, reptiles etc? They asked, "Do you have a reptile licence?" To which I said, yes I did, & they said no problem. The tank is there in plain view & no problems with inspections. (Except for the upstairs smoke detector not working when they checked it. And there being none downstairs when there should be. Must get around to calling them back about those... :p )

I put all hobbies, reptiles and holidays on hold until I had a deposit for my own place. I feel for the renters, so much land and it's released slowly to keep the prices high :(

I struck it lucky. Never told my landlord about my snakes as it just never occurred to me considering they're caged.
When he came over after I bought my first python( he's our handyman and is over semi-regularly, nice guy) he was all "fantastic! I have heaps of rats on our farm, can I bring them to you?" hahaha.
Had to explain I'm not going to feed my captive bred snakes wild rats and he was very disappointed.

Our lease does state no pets, but I just call him now and say, hey got a new cat/lizard/snake ect. and he says no worries and informs the estate agency for us that we have them and he's fine with it.
Love my landlord :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back