Cairns' psycho Sally produces mammoth clutch of eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a big clutch of eggs and a massive snake. Congrats to Cairns Zoo.

I doubt that this is true though...
Cairns snake handler Alex Mitchell says it's just the second time a reticulated python has laid eggs in captivity.

That's a big clutch of eggs and a massive snake. Congrats to Cairns Zoo.

I doubt that this is true though...

That's a decent number of eggs even for a retic! But you're right bushman, maybe they meant 'this' retic? Actually, the first article suggests its only the third time that it's been done in Australia.

I'd say he means in Australia

Last edited:
Nah, that Alex Mitchell is reknowned for shooting his mouth off and making stupid statements. Ask Ramsayi, He'll back me up.

Nah, that Alex Mitchell is reknowned for shooting his mouth off and making stupid statements. Ask Ramsayi, He'll back me up.

Indeed! Good to hear that the young fella is making a career out of it as well.I wonder if the retic would be more forgiving than the croc? :p
Alex if you read this get in touch will you!

I don't know why they would want to breed retics though,I would think zoos etc had more than enough to go around.

Great stuff

I am very excited about this !! My brother is the curator of Cairns Tropical Zoo and I will be going up there once the Retics hatch . The hatchies are distributed to other Zoos and the like once hatched . Peter , i have met Alex many times and find him to be a passionate , intelligent and nice person who does not mouth of !!!

I am very excited about this !! My brother is the curator of Cairns Tropical Zoo and I will be going up there once the Retics hatch . The hatchies are distributed to other Zoos and the like once hatched . Peter , i have met Alex many times and find him to be a passionate , intelligent and nice person who does not mouth of !!!

It's ok timfina,Peter and Alex go way back.

Oh ok I am just so used to people slagging others off in these threads that i thought it would be a shame if this one ended the same because for some they would prefer to read about reptiles and not who hates who :)

Oh ok I am just so used to people slagging others off in these threads that i thought it would be a shame if this one ended the same because for some they would prefer to read about reptiles and not who hates who :)

To clear up any misconception he isn't/wasn't slagging him off.He was razzing him,big difference.Anyone that knows both of them would know that.

Cool , most people would not know both of them so it comes accross as a slagging thats all . Thanks for clearing that up .

To clear up any misconception he isn't/wasn't slagging him off.He was razzing him,big difference.Anyone that knows both of them would know that.

Was wondering about Peter's comment because I know Alex and have never seen him shoot his mouth off. Happy to know it was just razzing. :D

That will be interesting to follow through on
International zoos will have zero interest in Aussie retics because of the cost factor
Very much doubt that there are about 65 places in Australia with the facilities to keep retics secure who dont already have enough retics
[65 to allow for slugs]

My guess would be maybe 10 sent to other places at the maximum and the rest dingo food or experiments in a lab somewhere
But I would be very happy to be proved wrong as I love retics

They obviously would have know for a while they were expecting eggs and in that time worked out how many were wanted. They would only incubate enough eggs to satisfy the demand.

AlexandBrianBrown.jpg

Alex with one of my snakes and some guy who thought he was Harry Potter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm not sure who said what or who was miss quoted, (although several sources including sunrise quoted the statement that this is only the 2nd time this python has bred in captivity), but I am 100% certain that retics have been regularly bred in captivity for more than 25yrs just not here in Australia.
I know this because I used to own a pair when I lived in the uk and they certainly were not wild caught.

Just take a look at prehistoric pets web site for one to confirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back