Looking for some advice from people who hunt and/or kill stuff (mostly deer)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the boyfriend was under the impression a ball-peen hammer would be sufficient, but to be honest, I was actually leaning towards something sledgehammerish, I'd rather go overkill than not enough force.
I really don't want to deal with dying goat running around bleeding everywhere.

i dont think a little hammer is going to crush a goats skull , just piss it off and hurt it , it will probs still be conscious after that if it isnt placed in the right spot , i dont want to sound rude but i really think you should see if the owner of the farm will shoot it for you , chances are he has a gun to put down any injured animals , its just alot more humane if done properly with a gun than trying to kill it will a ball-peen hammer and getting it wrong and only leaving it superficially wounded

You're not sounding rude at all, as I said, ANY advice is more than welcome:)
I will definitely suggest this to them, and then I wouldn't need to bring the horse float, it would fit in the tray of my ute.

and its alot quicker for the animal , i dont want to imagine how things could end up trying to kill a goat with a small hammer , even a big one , what if it just deflects of the side of the skull and does a number of their face but nothing to do any internal damage , then you've got to try again , and its probably not going to let you near it buy this stage , then theirs the option of a knife , either a big knife and try to stab it in the heart , although i wouldnt know where to aim to be sure of a hit , or slit its throat i guess , both are going to be a bloody mess by the end of it

or a shot to the side of the head with a large calibre rifle , and its all over for the goat and you dont have to feel bad like you may of if things had gone pear shaped with the hammer

We just use knives for sheep and goats. Drop animal on its side placing your left foot behind its neck if you right handed bend its head back around your ankle and with a sharp knife in right hand slice across throat making sure to cut right down to spine snd threw spinal cord this kills them very fast and bleeds them out at the same time. Its the way all abbotoirs in aus use to do it before electric shock stunning.

I would go to a butcher and ask "how much a kilo for you"s to butcher it up" with that it should cover the cost to get it killed and u will need to let it hang for a day or two so when you cut it look not every where.
i would let the pro do it

i would also do some research i suggest watching a acb show called (catch it kill it cook it) they did an ep that covered sheep, and explained alot of stuff regarding health issues and safty like did you know youll have to cut the anus out and not touch any of the meat while you do it as to not contanamate the meat all things you shoul know b4 starting.... i think this will be a intersting thread lol

Ok... So meat wise you have chosen the worst possible goat... a milking goat is like a milking cow, SIGNIFICANTLY less meat on it. Also, smashing its head with a hammer will be sooooo much harder then it sounds and will most likely just severly injure and frighten the animal. You should do as Wrightpython said and just use a knife, it is the most humane way. Google some videos of it being done, or it would be better if you could just get someone who knows what they are doing to help you. If you stuff up the rest of the job then you will just get a lot of weird looking cuts and wasted meat, if you stuff up the killing you put an animal through pain, terror and suffering that it shouldn't have to go through. Going off what you have said so far... I am thinking you are going to have a permanent pet goat. lol

I can skin and "gut" a deer using a penknife. You actually don't want to use a blade much larger than that to feild dress an animal. Its quite simple actually.

Using a hammer is not the most humane way to kill something. If you are not hunting the animal, a well placed .22 will do nicely.

Maybe we do things differently here in the states, but I know the only thing we don't usually save from the innards is the intestines and urinary trac. Heart, lungs and liver can be eaten (I don't but I do save mine for others who do).

I didn't read all the posts so I hope Im not offending anyone or repeating anything already said previous.

Btw, a quad (4 wheeled atv) does a fantastic job of skinning an animal :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

it is very important that you stun the animal properly before you kill it....it isnt illigal to slaughter it in your yard but you risk jail time and hefty fines if you dont stun it appropriatly and humanly first. if you hold a cattle prod to the back of the head it will render it unconsious for a very short period or a bullet to the head is instant...dont knock it on the head, i used to hunt goats and trust me when i say they have very thick skulls.....hitting it with a hammer wont knock it out just severly injure it. Also try to get a boer goat, they are a meat goat.sorry about any typos i m using my phone.

If you can field shoot the deer and bleed it there will be far less stress on the deer, and the meat will be of better quality. Handling deer is not like handling sheep or goats as they are "wild" animals and so dont travel well on the back of a ute. Dressing a deer is the same as dressing a sheep, except there is far less fat. Fallow are about the same size and Red or Rusa about double the size. If you dont want to waste meat I would paddock shoot, bleed and skin the animal and get the local butcher, or farmer to hang it in his coolroom before cuting it up for you.
My experience comes from farming 1000s of deer and exporting processed meat from Australia.

I'd eventually like to raise and butcher my own meat from various animals. Anyone know if a butcher will show you how to do it a few times so you can learn to do it yourself? I've only done a duck so far and that's about all I plan to do until I get more land, but I still need to learn how to cut poultry into portions/cuts rather than leaving it whole like we did with the first one.

I thought slaughtering animals on your won premises was illegal too, especially in suburbia and not a farm....
I have been through many survival courses where we hunted and killed deer, wild pigs and chickens. Its alot of work, and needs to be done quickly and efficiently. We were on huge properties and military bases for about nine days at a time, with no other food. We ate what we could find, and i still felt bad about it.
I guess what im getting at is dont let the animal suffer, if it means oaying abit more to have it humanely slaughtered and prepared, id say do it. We used rifles, bows and traps, but i cant see them being any use in suburbia...

just curious how do you intend to kill the animal in melbourne ? from what i know you need more than 25acres to discharge a firearm so that kinda rules that out if you live in the suburbs

I dont think their shooting in melbourne suburbs. But difficult job for novice find someone the experience

its not that hard to butcher an animal an hour watching on the net and you can do it. though if you want to use it then i suggest killing it and butchering it on the farm. Much cleaner and easier and it wouldn't surprise me if you could get a farm owner to shoot one for you.
i wouldn't use blunt force trauma as a killing method go for a sharp knife if its going to be a goat, or a gun if its going to be a deer.
i would suggest going to a gun club and asking to accompany a rabbit shooter getting some practice on skinning and cleaning, its also good meat as well.

Do these blokes want to do this to save money? For the thrill? or are they just idiots?

Darlyn, it's a little bit of A, but mostly C.

So we went and picked up the goat, after telling him that a milking goat would not be as good, I was told he'd already paid for it and that's what he was stuck with. It's kind of cute, even though she makes noises ALL THE TIME. So far there has been no talk of killing it, and to be honest I don't think it's going to happen. I'll definitely update if that's going to change, but thank you everyone for your very helpful advice and lack of attacking me, it's highly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back