'some' of my animals <3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilegal1

Reaction score
IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_4285-1.jpg

Love the stick insect! Got to hold one at a bug museum at Cape Trib a few years ago, so cute. Too bad hubby says 'no more pets!'

She is mature now and has mated and has laid 33 eggs so far and she is sooo packed full of more eggs!!
I am keeping 20 eggs and selling the rest on eBay (they are selling surprisingly fast!)
One guy from tue university of Bees asked if he could have 55 eggs and I was like:shock: I said I only had 16 left so far and he bought them and wants me to notify him when I have more which I have to do soon as I have 10 more eggs. Lol

No no, it could if it got to the chicken, but when my python is outside and the chooks are loose, I a
Ways keep an eye on my boy,
The chickens don't go near him anyway. ;)

She is mature now and has mated and has laid 33 eggs so far and she is sooo packed full of more eggs!!
I am keeping 20 eggs and selling the rest on eBay (they are selling surprisingly fast!)
One guy from tue university of Bees asked if he could have 55 eggs and I was like:shock: I said I only had 16 left so far and he bought them and wants me to notify him when I have more which I have to do soon as I have 10 more eggs. Lol
Wow thats great I didn't know that stick insects would spark a lot of interest, but I guess you never know these days. :p

hi, im curious about the stick insects and read a little bit but as an owner what can you tell me about them?

Well, most species of stick insects are 'parthenogenic' which means they can lay fertile eggs without the need of a male, the female 'clones' herself and all of the offspring will be female, there may, in rare cases, be a few males in that clutch.
If the eggs were fertilised by a male, you will get males and females.
The only downside of having eggs that are cloned is that they take a longer time to hatch, usually 1 year whereas the other eggs, 3-5 months.

When the babies hatch, they resemble tiny black ants, because the egg has a little edible cap on the end and in the wild, ants take the eggs back to the nest,eat only the cap, and discard the egg in the waste chamber of the nest, when the eggs hatch, they look act and smell like the ants so they can get away without being eaten.

Stick insects are harmless, But they do have cool defense mechanisms,
My species of stick insects (macleays spectre) have 5 defence tactics,
The first one is, when they are resting on a leaf or stick and its windy, they sway from side to side to imitate a leaf blowing in the wind.
The males give off an odour as a defence mechanism but to us it smells like maple syrup.
When the females are threatened, they will curl up theyr tails to imitate a scorpion!!
Also, the mature females have firm but not dangerous spikes, if she feels threatened she will press thwm against my hand (they tickle) lol
Also, sometimes, both male and female will play dead.

Stick insects eat bramble,oak,rose,eucalyptus and wattle leaves.
Though eucalyptus in the main diet.
If you feed them eucalyptus the stick insects will be light brown,
And if you feed them rose leaves, they will turn green!!!

Here is my youtube vid of my male stick insect oing his 'swaying' defence mechanism, i put music to it and it looks like he is dancing!!
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

The titel of this thresd is misleading... I thought she would have less than three animals...

thank you very much, if i was to get one sounds like i would be better off getting just a male

interesting pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back