Trouble feeder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

Reaction score
I've got a female costal carpet that I've had for about a year now that just either won't eat or won't eat consistently for no reason I've got another one from what I believe is the same clutch and he eats perfectly and is twice the size. I just wondering what else can I do to try and get her to feed properly as I'm starting to think I should give up as nothing seems to improve. Temps are all good I've tried scenting rats with mice I've tried quail she will not take rats at all she will only take the occasional mouse but will only take them to a certain size and I've tried offering 2 smaller ones but she sold taken both once
Any help would be good thank you

I have heard you can cut the mouse open, to try and make the snake eat. Have you tried live feeding I know its horrible but she might eat better. But dont give up on her, there is still hope she will start eating agian. Just be patient and persistant.

I have thought about live feeding but haven't found anywheremthat sells live mice/ small rats and I'm not keen on it.
ill take a pic of them both so you can see the size difference between them and they are the same age

here they arethe boy is the big one
6a460aaa-9d4b-deae.jpg
6a460aaa-9d5d-c66f.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

6a460aaa-9dab-7151.jpg
6a460aaa-9dc3-8965.jpg

I have thought about live feeding but haven't found anywheremthat sells live mice/ small rats and I'm not keen on it.
ill take a pic of them both so you can see the size difference between them and they are the same age

here they arethe boy is the big one
6a460aaa-9d4b-deae.jpg
6a460aaa-9d5d-c66f.jpg

6a460aaa-9dab-7151.jpg
6a460aaa-9dc3-8965.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345887814506.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345887814506.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 93
  • uploadfromtaptalk1345887838433.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345887838433.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hi Zeke,

I had the same problem with one of my jungles - over a period of 4 months I tried everything and he just wouldn't feed regularly. He wasn't even interested in day old chicks (have you tried them?) I took mine to a reptile vet who did a fecal smear, and he said snakey had a parasite called an amoeba protozoa (I'll PM you some links). He showed me them under the microscope - basically they make snakey feel not well and not hungry. He had 2 courses of antibiotics (took him back to the vet for those - they kinda force-fed the antibiotics with a long needle that had a ball on the end). If you have tried absolutely everything, and you still can't figure out why she's not eating, perhaps you could take her to a reptile vet who will give her a general health check, and you can also ask them to do a fecal smear to make sure everything is okay. I think it cost me about $140 for the antibiotics, but now snakey is doing great.

Good luck - keep us updated.

regards,
Lockie.

What size/type of enclosure is it in? Maybe try putting back into a smaller tub for a while and try feeding again, this technique has worked wonders for me in the past with jungles, worth a try

Another technique I have heard of only recently was to syringe(without the needle bit) some plain yogurt down the snakes throat (carefully). From all reports it gets them feeding again within the week. Might be worth investigating

Zeke thats an awesome looking coastal, from the picture i am presuming that the smaller one in your hand is female. If so she is small and a little thin, but not as bad as I thought. If I were you and I have tried every possible way of feeding her and it isnt working. I would go with Lockie and find a reptile vet in your area, or one were you can get her to. And let them check her out.

I'll try and find a vet to take her to.
ive done that she's my smallest tank .
they are both stunning hypos with great attitudes aswell just wish she'd would eat. And yes the small one is the female and the big one is the male.
i tried to give her a fuzzie rat last night but she just turned her nose and headed away from it. I'm gona try her with mice tonight but if she doesn't eat it my turtle will

What size/type of enclosure is it in? Maybe try putting back into a smaller tub for a while and try feeding again, this technique has worked wonders for me in the past with jungles, worth a try

Another technique I have heard of only recently was to syringe(without the needle bit) some plain yogurt down the snakes throat (carefully). From all reports it gets them feeding again within the week. Might be worth investigating

I read the same thing that leamos did & from all reports the yogurt (natural type of course not mango flavour etc) works.
What the yogurt does is build up bacteria in the gut that helps them digest food & make them hungry. Who would have thought yogurt for a snake, but it is legite & whilst i have not tried this method myself, i will next time. Can't hurt to try.

Cheers
Ian

Repeated feed attempts to a non/problem feeder won't do you or the snake any benefit, give her some more time between attempts IMO

have you tried skink scenting a dead mouse and feed her at night and leave it in over night, my male childrens python is small for his age and will only eat skink scented mice and it has to be at night. and even then sometimes he still refuses

I read the same thing that leamos did & from all reports the yogurt (natural type of course not mango flavour etc) works.
What the yogurt does is build up bacteria in the gut that helps them digest food & make them hungry. Who would have thought yogurt for a snake, but it is legite & whilst i have not tried this method myself, i will next time. Can't hurt to try.

Cheers
Ian

And a tub of yogurt and a syringe from the chemist is alot cheaper then a vet consult

I work with snakes and have come across many problem feeders. Definitely get her checked out by a herp vet and if all is good try leaving the food item in there then covering her enclosure with a pillow case or if it's a larger enclosure cover the front with newspaper so she can't see any outside activity and feels safe. If this doesn't work, find a good herp supplier & get some Mutton Bird oil & scent the rat/mouse with it. It's a natural product and snakes can't resist it. Good luck!

I have heard of the mutton bird oil as well, but where do you get that, apart from a mutton bird LOL.
I will see if i can put up the link for the yogurt, i don't think the mods will mind.

I have heard of the mutton bird oil as well, but where do you get that, apart from a mutton bird LOL.
I will see if i can put up the link for the yogurt, i don't think the mods will mind.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.moreliapythons.com/forums/showthread.php?34799-Babies-refusing-to-eat-Try-Yogurt-!

Here it is, read all the posts.
Very interesting.
Cheers
Ian

my 9year old coastal does this every year eats fine 1 month goes off for few months just keep trying on a regular feeding scedual goodluck

My 5 year old BHP just ate the other day for the first time in 6 months, but then again he was fed up right before winter & going into breeding mode.

Cheers
Ian

I think you can get it from health food stores, but if in doubt google hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

My 5 year old BHP just ate the other day for the first time in 6 months, but then again he was fed up right before winter & going into breeding mode.

Cheers
Ian

Was that yogurt assisted?

Same story between two of my MDs, brother and sister. Sister is twice the size and never refuses food.

As of 8th of August the little guy has been off his food (have tried various items and nothing has changed in his environment). Not giving up on him though, might try the yoghurt thing and see how it goes.

Good luck and let us know how you gio.

I think you can get it from health food stores, but if in doubt google hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Was that yogurt assisted?

No mate i guess he was just hungry after exerting himself so much mating.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back