Lace monitor hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,
My 2011 clutch of lace monitors have finely started hatching after 236 days :)
Pics show the parents, both about 5 years old now. The male is the cleaner one at the top of the pic. They both just came out of hibernation so I will try and get some updated pics sometime soon. All the bubs are bells and very clean. Which suggests that atleast one one of the parents may be homozygous for bells (bells phase in dominant). If this is true, 50% of the clutch would also be homozygous for bells and hence when paired with a normal will throw 100% bells. At this point I'll be holding onto atleast a few of them until I can sex them in a year or so.

After 236 days I think you would be pretty happy for them to hatch. From the pictures they look amazing, I would love to own a lace monitor except I would need an outdoor enclosure.

So cute! If only they stayed that small then maybe I could have one haha

very nice , there pattern looks pretty clean, im hoping to own a lacie in a few years time

Such stunning monitors! Awesome Bells, you've got a very good pair if the hatchies are that clean. The only downside of this topic is that I'm jealous, pity I'm too young to keep one... or two. Mind showing any more pics of the adults and maybe their setup?

Congratulations on such amazing babies! Have to be happy with that :)

They look awesome, would love lacies one day and the good thing is that my wife actually loves them as apposed to my snakes lol.
How big a clutch did yours lay?

stunning!!

one day i will win lotto and have enough space to keep lacies!!! :p

They look awesome Jase, what are those red marks on the males back?

Well done:)! Some definate keepers there. What was your nest box arrangement and would you change anything next time?

THAT IS THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!![i typed this whole thing in caps but not sure if they ill show up]

Those are awesome, you have any pics bigger than thumbnails?

Thanks for all the kind comments and PMs.

They are all very clean, in fact there's not a speck of black in their bands.

The red 'marks' on the male is actually blood (not his!). Lets just say he is n enthusiastic feeder!

The lay box was just a big bin I cut a hole in and filled with peat moss.

They were incubated over water at approx. 31 degrees.

At this point in time I wont be selling any. I plan on keeping a few back till I can sex them. However given how fast and big the grow I will have to move a few on in a couple of months. It would appear those are likely spoken for given the number of PMs in my inbox.

The lay box was just a big bin I cut a hole in and filled with peat moss.

They were incubated over water at approx. 31 degrees.

Thanks Jason,

Can I ask how heat was supplied to the bin? I vaguely remember the pic of your lay box, it was a green plastic garbage bin with an entry in the upper side (can't seem to find the post)?

The over water method would seem the way forward!

No heat supplied to the bin at all. Just placed it in the corner and she was happy to go in and have a dig. I only put the bin in a couple of days prior to her laying. I didn't sterilize the moss either, just pored it in straight from the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back