Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hewittbell

Reaction score
Just found a great hollow branch for our outdoor beardie enclosure. The branch must have recently fallen from a dead tree and bits of it were on the side of the road. Obviously not lizard habitat yet so perfect for our enclosure. Our beardies stayed outside for the first time last night. They seem to be really enjoying their new environment. We've planted quite a few edible plant species for them - dandelions, borage, violas, spider plant etc. I can't believe I'm so excited about a piece of wood!

Have a pic? I also found a great hollow log, I find it very easy to get existed over bits of wood

Sounds perfectly normal to me. What an excellent, unexpected find. I can remember as a kid lugging home a large fallen branch, the size of a small tree, because it was just the right size and shape for my backyard pit. Unfortunately, Dad discovered it was infested with termites and I had to lug it back to where it came from. Very disappointing.

So when you find that special piece and your lizards love it too - it is a real buzz. I find it is about setting up something pleasing to the eye and enriching for the inmates. Enjoy.

Sounds perfectly normal to me. What an excellent, unexpected find. I can remember as a kid lugging home a large fallen branch, the size of a small tree, because it was just the right size and shape for my backyard pit. Unfortunately, Dad discovered it was infested with termites and I had to lug it back to where it came from. Very disappointing.

So when you find that special piece and your lizards love it too - it is a real buzz. I find it is about setting up something pleasing to the eye and enriching for the inmates. Enjoy.

My dad made me drown mine in the canal for 5 days just encase of termites

It is just a sign of truly living in herpland! Who here doesn't look at furniture or tubs and evaluate how well it could accomodate a herpy friend.
I for one collapse on the floor at coles when sistema tubs are on sale, giggling like a little girl!!

So no, I do not see anything wrong with "treasure log" finding!

my other half wont let me go shopping when sistema tubs are half price and nothing better than finding something to make your pit or enclosure look more natural

Theres plenty in the adelaide hills. find dirt roads.

2012-08-29 19.26.02.jpg2012-08-29 19.25.19.jpgkit02.jpg

didn't want too steal your thread mate but yeah i too have a thing for hollow logs or odd shapes of wood. this was given to me by my grand father its over a meter in length also it has three openings and its solid i cut one section out on the end with i hinge so its not seen , so i can reach in if i have to to clean etc. red belly loves it. this is an old pic so the red belly is much larger now , i also have aspen as substrate inside at one end of the log where (kit) curls up and has a snooze:)

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
I get excited over a bit of wood sometimes too. Good work! :p

welcome back!!!!

My hubby works as a street sweeper at a big cemetery and is always bringing me home wood ;), branches and rocks for the enclosures, but so far he hasnt found any hollow logs.

haha ill admit i first thought oh he's back , then looked at the date , to bad he was always good for a laugh every now and then

It is not a hollow log but it is my favourite piece of wood, It is a root from an ancient ironwood (Erythrophleum chlorostachys) which had forced itself into a crack in a granite boulder and expanded there for who knows how long. (They can live for many centuries) The ironwood burned down in a bushfire and the heat it generated split the boulder. All that was left was this.

All of our snakes have explored this piece as hatchies. (Sweets the Darwin carpet is hovering over the spot where it was a few minutes ago now!)

DSC_0412_edited-1.jpgDSC_0414_edited-1.jpgDSC_0416_edited-1.jpgDSC_0417_edited-1.jpg

Few human artists can compete with nature.

Didn't read the date either. Gordo will return........eventually

It is not a hollow log but it is my favourite piece of wood, It is a root from an ancient ironwood (Erythrophleum chlorostachys) which had forced itself into a crack in a granite boulder and expanded there for who knows how long. (They can live for many centuries) The ironwood burned down in a bushfire and the heat it generated split the boulder. All that was left was this.

All of our snakes have explored this piece as hatchies. (Sweets the Darwin carpet is hovering over the spot where it was a few minutes ago now!)

View attachment 263626View attachment 263627View attachment 263628View attachment 263629

Few human artists can compete with nature.

Didn't read the date either. Gordo will return........eventually

That is so awesome Steve!!! Just stunning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back