Lace monitor hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No heat supplied to the bin at all. Just placed it in the corner and she was happy to go in and have a dig. I only put the bin in a couple of days prior to her laying. I didn't sterilize the moss either, just pored it in straight from the bag.

How simple's that:)! Thanks for sharing, Jason, that's very interesting and goes somewhat against conventional wisdom regarding the lack of heating and introduction of the nest box just prior to laying, obviously with great results.

Another few questions, any ideas on the temperature within the hide leading up to/ immediately following the eggs being deposited and was the medium humid/moist and tightly compacted in any way?

Apologies for all the questions, but I'm hopefully and with any luck about to go through the same process myself this upcoming season. Perhaps a PM, if you prefer.

I'll reply here for others who are interested to read also.
Firstly let me just mention I'm no expert! This was my first attempt and hence first time breeding these guys.
The peat moss was relatively warm and moist when I put it in there. It was straight from the nursery section at bunnings and I would imagine it was full of all kinds of bacteria and goodies. I put two large bags in there and I didn't pack it hard, just enough so that it didn't fall out the hole. When I did that I picked her up and put her head in the hole, she walked off my hands and into the box where she stayed for a few min and started scratching around until she came out. A couple days later I noticed she had settled down and had eaten hence figured I have a dig around and see if I could find any eggs. After a while digging I found the eggs sitting at the very bottom of the bin. From there I just put them in a the incubator.

Thanks for sharing Jason, much appreciated.

Ditto what Serp has mentioned.

Congrats Jason they look the goods and very clean, what was your clutch size ?

The male was left in there and didn't cause any issues. They honestly get on extremely well, it honestly appears that he cares for her. I know that sounds strange but they follow each other around and bask together a lot, as you can see in the two shots of them above.

Is there any way to sex them whilst young? if not, how old do they have to be before u can sex them?. And how are they sexed?, i heard its something to do with the head/back of the neck.

They look amazing long incubation would defiantly be happy at the end.

Is there any way to sex them whilst young? if not, how old do they have to be before u can sex them?. And how are they sexed?, i heard its something to do with the head/back of the neck.

Cant sex them as hatchies but there are several ways as they age.
1) Sometimes the personality of a female tends to be a little more shy. Stands true for my girl.
2) You may see the males hemipenes when he goes potty, which is how I figured out the sex of my male.
3) Males tend to have a slightly different head shape although I never really see any obvious difference and the animals need to be pretty much adult size if I recall correctly(?)
4) You get them X-rayed at about 1 m meter long.

I plan on holding back the majority and sexing them when they are of an appropriate size probably at about 12-18 months.

ah ok, thanks for the info jason. Are u expecting any other lacie clutches to hatch or was that the only clutch?

Nice bells mate. Have you tried hemipenal trans-illumination to sex the hatchies?

Nice bells mate. Have you tried hemipenal trans-illumination to sex the hatchies?

From what I understand it isn't good on lacies because their not very tiny as hatchies hence the light doesn't penetrate well enough. I may be wrong...?

Will add some updated pics in a week or so. They are quite shy as young so I'll leave them alone for a bit longer before bothering them for individual pics. In the mean time they're eating me out of house and home! :)

Very nice animals you have there mate, glad to hear the hatchies are eating well for you.

I have never personally done it with laceys, but i know people who have and they reckon it works. Like you said i have done it with smaller species fairly accurately. Will try and give it a go when some of my lacey clutches hatch. Look forward to the pics. Where did you get your adults? Bonnett?
From what I understand it isn't good on lacies because their not very tiny as hatchies hence the light doesn't penetrate well enough. I may be wrong...?

Will add some updated pics in a week or so. They are quite shy as young so I'll leave them alone for a bit longer before bothering them for individual pics. In the mean time they're eating me out of house and home! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back