Can I use a chicken egg incubator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharskie

Reaction score
Can I use a chicken egg incubator for a clutch of coastal eggs? Mother in law has one gathering dust and thought it might be handy

Hey bud I'd like to know myself I found them brand new for $80 each was thinking of grabbing a couple I think they hold 48 chicken eggs each, don't wanna spend the money if they are no good to us, cheers for asking a good question bud u beat me to the punch!.

Thanks mate. This will be my first clutch so any and all advice will be appreciated

you can make one out of a foam box just cut a rectangle shape on the lid and silicon a piece of glass or clear plastic for viewing hole get a heat cord and thermostat hook it up and ya got an incubator put in home made incubator in the search bar at the top and it will give you some ideas even look on youtube hope i could help.

Most people build them out of bar or wine fridges with a heat cord and thermostat.
Plenty of threads on how to build one.

Great ideas all but for the sake of making 1 you can buy a brand new chicken1 complete for $80 at Greenacre. Pm me if you want the number

You need to check how low the thermostat can be set as chicken eggs are incubated at 37.5C or thereabouts as a standard. The thermostat will need to be dialled down to 30 C for reptiles and not all will do that. Worth checking or you are up for a replacement thermostat and your $80 incubator just doubled in price.

Hey bud I'd like to know myself I found them brand new for $80 each was thinking of grabbing a couple I think they hold 48 chicken eggs each, don't wanna spend the money if they are no good to us, cheers for asking a good question bud u beat me to the punch!.

I'm interested in where you saw $80 incubators for sale because I spent $400 on a Hovabator incubator that holds 42 eggs and it is a piece of crap I only ever hatched 42 eggs once and half of the babies didn't make it after they hatched because of the fluctuations in temperature and any other time I tried to hatch eggs most of the babies were still half formed in their eggs when the 21 days were up.

i just got the janoel 60 egg incubator for 90$
and have done a couple of test runs for a few hours temps seem to stay 30 to 31 degrees lol now all i have to do is test out the humidity

i just got the janoel 60 egg incubator for 90$
and have done a couple of test runs for a few hours temps seem to stay 30 to 31 degrees lol now all i have to do is test out the humidity

Is that with the built in thermostat or are you using another thermostat, because the info I found on these incubators imply the thermostat ranges from 35 - 40 deg

Is that with the built in thermostat or are you using another thermostat, because the info I found on these incubators imply the thermostat ranges from 35 - 40 deg
yup built in thermo if you hold onto the "Set" for more than 5 seconds you can actually set wat the lowest temp it will go to and you can change the peak temperature as well hope that is understanable lol
so i set the lowest setting at 30 and the highest at 31 but im checkin the temp with a different thermometer

lol if you want ill record a vid on my phone an post up here

it also depends on where it is placed lol
in my room the temps dont really go up and down so i guess thats a bonus

This could be a stupid question but as the incubators already have a built in thermostat could you run them off a seperate thermostat?

as long as they dont have auto egg-rotation enabled then you can use them, but its cheaper built your own ;) i use and old refridgerator with a 7 mtr heating cable in it and a thermostat, cost me less than 70$ and can hold several clutches :D

I know its not very Hi Tec but I just let the mother incubate them herself . Very satisfying for the snake and very successful for me . Science is not always better than nature ;]

Jungletrans ...."PLEASE"...... tell me how you "know" its satisfying for the snake apart from a "wild" guess also "IMO" science is better than nature in this instance as this female could lay up to 40+ eggs then in your post let her incubate them well thats another 60+ days after laying a big clutch before she eats again.......no l will let mine eat 2-3 days after laying and let science do the work (incubating) ....personally l believe its almost cruel with the incubating knowledge we have now....solar 17 (baden)

I keep the heat at the egg site at the correct temp . She has a cool end and a large water bowl to soak in . Also I have found they are happy to eat a small rat now and then . I suppose a desperate mother searching for her clutch doesn't bother some people [ I don't keep them in tub racks either ] You can turn them into a product but mine are still pets :]

even tho female pythons are great "mothers" and knows how to take care of their eggs, it doesnt beat using an incubator.

1. you can get the female into good shape alot sooner
2. you dont risk the eggs getting too cold or too hot
3. you dont risk the female ruining eggs by laying on them
4. you can divide the clutch if taken early so the eggs are seperated and minimize the risk of bad eggs contaminating good eggs with mould and fungus.

that said, maternal incubation can work just fine, and python moms are usually great and tending to their eggs.

I think the best incubator you can use which is also very cheap, is an old fridge. Spent a little extra on a quality thermostat, they is plenty of room for multiple clutches, very accurate easy to set up, affordable. I have used them for years with great success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back